The Shawshank Redemption vs. The Green Mile

yerg

Shawshank vs. Mile  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Realism vs. Fantasy

• The Shawshank Redemption
    • The Green Mile

Posted Image vs. Posted Image

I chose these movies because i find a lot of similarities in them and at the same time stories are very different.

Both of them were written by Stephen King, take place in jail, directed by Frank Darabont; the cinematography shots and angles are also very similar and the theme of music and many other little things (eg. taking care of an animal) are similar.

My choice would be The Green Mile because i am more into fantasy though i liked Shawshank very much. And it seems most of people liking it better than Mile (according to IMDB it's #1 movie in their top-list and Mile is only about #100).

What's your choice and thoughts on them?

read both watched none (if i did i cant remember)... from what i remember, the stories were too different to compare objectively...subjectively i think i liked green mile better...not sure though.

fuck my contribution to this thread is immense... :)

The Green Mile cause of supernatural references and overall better told story.

Shawshank is good, but nowhere near as interesting especially character-wise like The Green Mile.

Plus the role of Michael Clarke Duncan was so touching, it easily surpasses both roles by Robbins and Freeman.

Shawshank by a long shot. I enjoyed The green mile a lot when I watched it but I can't say it's made a lasting impression on me. Shawshank on the other hand is just one of those movies that everyone has to watch. Just fantastic stuff.

to that i add:

shawshank=full plot

green mile=characters plot

Shawshank by a long shot. I enjoyed The green mile a lot when I watched it but I can't say it's made a lasting impression on me. Shawshank on the other hand is just one of those movies that everyone has to watch. Just fantastic stuff.

+1

• 4 weeks later...

The Green Mile because of the little mouse... that last scene where they find the mouse was so touching it made me cry (which is something I VERY rarely do).

Also the story was a lot more original and impressive than Shawshank, it had a lot more staying power.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like The Green Mile at all. Mostly because of its "look"...the pictures look so artificial, so sterile, as if it were digitally filmed (maybe it was? Dunno). I also think it's rather boring, and the fantasy hokum makes it totally impossible to do something to me on an emotional level.

But speaking about The Shawshank Redemption, hell yeah, what a film. Makes me cry in the end each time. Fantastic. I like its message a lot, inspired me a lot. Constant dripping wears the stone. Hope never dies. And stuff like that. Freeman totally rocks in it, his best role together with the one he's playing in Seven.

On a sidenote, I'm not into Stephen King at all. In my opinion, he's the personification of assembly-line-literature without any artistic approach to it. This one is the only story I really like, Dolores Clayborne too, maybe. And The Shining, but only because it's good film material.

Dunno I haven't seen Green Mile yet.

Funny I went to IMDB and it's Morgan Freeman's birthday (72). Fine actor.

Shawshank is a classic of course.

now that I've seen both: Shawshank for sure

I enjoyed Green Mile a lot. It's original, but it didn't really move me. I found it a sort of feel good fantasy movie. It made me laugh at some points, where crying probably would've been more appropriate. I just couldn't take it that seriously. So that's where the movie failed. Other than that it's a very good movie.

By the way, the black guy really isn't THAT big right? :o

now that I've seen both: Shawshank for sure

I enjoyed Green Mile a lot. It's original, but it didn't really move me. I found it a sort of feel good fantasy movie. It made me laugh at some points, where crying probably would've been more appropriate. I just couldn't take it that seriously. So that's where the movie failed. Other than that it's a very good movie.

By the way, the black guy really isn't THAT big right? :o

He IS that big :rolleyes:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003817/bio

Sad to say, but, I never saw Shawshank Redemption. I've seen The Green Mile and read the book (the book scared the FUCK outta me at this one part of the story, maybe it wasn't a good idea to read at night) for my english class back in high school.

I'd still probably vote for Shawshank but I won't since I haven't seen it.

Well, I would say The Green Mile requires some patience to watch. It's not as 'huge' as Shawshank is. Shawshank made a greater impression on me + I'm not much of a fan of fantasy movies like the

supernatural healing

in the green mile. Nice movie, but Shawshank gets my vote.