4 Departure (5:38)

5 Protostar (6:04)

6 Incense (3:45)

7 Dark Energy (8:11)

8 Expansions (4:37)

9 Lava Tubes (4:50)

10 Holographic Rain (6:08)

11 Sanctuarium (3:54)

I was reading this topic the other day, about why there aren't more American psy-producers. We do have a few downtempo producers as Androcell, Bluetech and Mystical Sun. Which the latter seems to have surpassed most people. Mystical Sun aka Richard Plom. Richard released his first album Primordial Atmosphere's in 1994!! This was just at the dawn of psychedelic trance/downtempo as we know it today. A wonderful album in it's own respect, though the last 30 min track Journey To Samadhi is only for the real yoga freaks I would say. The album was reissued in 2005, and after having discovered Mystical Sun way after 94 I was glad to be able to pick up a copy of this tasteful rarity.

My first contact with Richard Plom was when I was just going through all the downtempo music I could find, being new to the genre and wanting to listen to everything. I stumbled upon Deeper Worlds where the track Pure just blew my mind. The album was great, though it lacked a sense of cohesiveness, and this shouldn't come as a surprise since most of the tracks on it were put together from random compilation stuff.

Some artists just have that very unique touch, you can hear it at once. It's not explainable but it's very hearable. This is just what Mystical Sun got. I immediately fell in love with the sound, the originality. When listening to his first album I always imagined how great it would be, with the sound of Deeper Worlds combined with the cohesiveness of Primordial Atmpshperes. Well, look no further because Richard was kind enough to give us Energy Mind Consciousness, his third full length album. You can't give him credit for releasing tremendous amounts of music, but the quality is top notch.

My favorite track on the whole album is without a doubt Protostar. A throbbing, pulsating, slowly moving yet powerful and mellow track. Very beautiful stuff, when listening to this I get that unmistakable feeling of why I am so fond of this genre. Throughout the album I get periodically a great sense eastern cultures, India, Buddhism, traditions and religion. This somehow reproduces itself very strongly, just to move further into more futuristic and scientific type of places. It's a great feat and creates a journey where if you let it, will take you from the caressing nature of our planet, to deep deep space. What is also confusing in a good way, is how all these elements of nature, religion, space, technology just finally merges towards the end of the album. It is as a statement of our current state of mind from the big bang in the form of musical pleasure. Someone please bring out the champagne, we must celebrate!

The album is very slow overall and never have any faster tracks, this is great because I often find myself being irritaded when an album starts of good preparing you for a deep emotional jorney just to crush it with some uptempo track in the middle of it. This is a pitfall that I am happy Richard evaded. The direction of the album is stated instantly, and never does it stray away from this path. It's obvious Richard must have put down alot of thought into this album, and worked very hard to finalize it. Actually I think this is one of the most cohesive musical jorneys that I've ever had.

Recommendation:

This is a great, slow, mellow journey from bliss to more darker areas. It's great stuff, anyone even slightly interested in the downtempo side of psy should give this a listen. It's calming, soothing and very powerful in a soft way. Don't miss out and be sure to check out Primordial Atmospheres aswell.

This is the unedited review originally posted on Isratrance

Great review! I agree.

Thx, always nice to get good feedback.

Amazing album :wub:

Yeah, it's a shame that it hasn't been recieved better than it did. I'm working on an interview with Richard and hopefully, this review and the interview might hep to get some attention to it.

Thx, always nice to get good feedback.

Yeah, it's a shame that it hasn't been recieved better than it did. I'm working on an interview with Richard and hopefully, this review and the interview might hep to get some attention to it.

i think it is because it has a sound unto itself and people tend to set their expectations to be the same as the crowd. this album really doesn't sound like any other psychill i have which is why i like it, it sounds fresh. that can be a problem, because people like albums in a genre to all sound related, to follow the rules.

IMHO this album delivers alter states of consciousness while other albums just sound trippy. i was undecided about this album at first, i liked it, but didn't love it. one night, i had a get together at my house and it got late and we were very altered and i wanted to play some music that was chill. pretty much by the time the album got to "dark energy" people were like whoa! what is that your playing? listening to it like we were watching a movie was the key that unlocked it for me.

if you're going to interview this guy, ask him why he keeps such a low profile and doesn't tour!

i think it is because it has a sound unto itself and people tend to set their expectations to be the same as the crowd. this album really doesn't sound like any other psychill i have which is why i like it, it sounds fresh. that can be a problem, because people like albums in a genre to all sound related, to follow the rules.

IMHO this album delivers alter states of consciousness while other albums just sound trippy. i was undecided about this album at first, i liked it, but didn't love it. one night, i had a get together at my house and it got late and we were very altered and i wanted to play some music that was chill. pretty much by the time the album got to "dark energy" people were like whoa! what is that your playing? listening to it like we were watching a movie was the key that unlocked it for me.

if you're going to interview this guy, ask him why he keeps such a low profile and doesn't tour!

Sure I'll do that

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...