03. Dj Zen & Jace - Speak Your Mind [Open Air Mix]

04. Tentura - Discover

05. Shakri - Aurora Borealis

06. Chronos - Sacral Meeting [Rmx]

07. Asura - Dust and Daffodils

08. Aes Dana - Air Conditionning

09. RA - Cloudwalker

10. Solar Fields - Air Song [Remix]

Air is the first major release in the "Elemental Series" by Altar Records. The compilation is down and mid-tempo, and includes new tracks by artists: Aes Dana, Asura, RA, and Solar Fields.

01. Zymosis - Zeta Bieng [Flute Mix] begins with a gentle, female voice sample. It starts interesting; a drifting ambient score builds around peaceful sound scapes. A flute accentuates layers of melodic movements before before the beat kicks in. However the song doesn't seem to have a main focus or hook, though the atmosphere and worldly influence is nice, present throughout. The beat soon picks up, but the song appears more dependent on its layers than creating a captivating direction and delivery with them. An exploring interlude takes place from around 4:09 to 4:30, and it is during this section that I'm intrigued for the first time since the beginning. The music returns around 4:40 with the accommodation of an echoed melody. It's catchy, but disappears all too soon, leaving the last two minutes to rely on its surrounding sounds of support. Overall this is a decent opening track that could have been great. C+

02. Aquascape & Skydan - Voice Of The Universe is beautiful. Wow. This is up there with some of the most gorgeous downtempo work I've heard so far all year. The song is capitalizes on the celestial, spiritual growth, as reflected and experienced by the heart; here is a song that really evokes the senses. The first minute passionately builds, flowing. Soon arrives a wonderful melody lead, carrying this wonderful creature as it becomes more opening. A refreshing, weightless interlude takes place from around 3:00 to 3:40, where the song collects itself for the final act. This is one of best down/mid-tempo songs I have ever heard. It's gorgeous, opening, and beautiful. Wonderful track. A

03. Dj Zen & Jace - Speak Your Mind [Open Air Mix] follows up from the previous track with a stronger beat. After an intriguing, extended intro, the beat appears. Slowly the song awakens like newly born energy coming to its senses. The vehicle picks up, lifting off around 3:54 to a seasonal blend of percussion, movement, mid-tempo, atmosphere, crisp melody work, and ethereal female hymns, quite catchy. I think it sounds great, providing a second layer of emotion. An involved interlude arrives around 5:15, and the music returns around 4:45 as more edgy and aggressive than previously. A tasty melody soon emerges; tribal influences compliment the mid-tempo rhythm. The female hymns return in the final third which is nice. While the track seems stuffed with sounds and ideas at times, its intricacy actually works to its favor. The song has a varied, energetic, and artistically layered sound that permeates the senses. It's simply less easy to digest due to involving so much, but this involvement adds replay value, lasting appeal. I like it. B+

04. Tentura - Discover is far less intricate, layered, and packed with various ideas than the previous number. In being less loaded, Discover has a clearer feel, and a near Goa/Psy influenced hook that stands out in its first minute. A strong melody coupled with ambient notes appear around 3:00. The beat emphasis is great too; the song moves forward collecting new paragraphs of sounds, never abandoning its strong foundation. A clever albeit brief ring tone a la bell enhances the beat. This is a very well composed track that follows one direction throughout with solid results. It's both lighter on the senses and more simple than previous numbers, less ambitious but very well done. Good, if not great track. B+

05. Shakri - Aurora Borealis continues the previous track's concept in the sense it follows one solid direction and builds on it. What appears to be a female (and quite catchy the way it's utilized) hymn compliments the beat. A nice observation is how the beat picks up; it becomes fast and more supported past the two minute mark, adding strength to an already developing body. A chilled, atmospheric interlude takes place from 2:55 to 3:14, introducing a peace instrument and numerous other sound. Key changes also seem to be present. The melody work is really nice too. An even catchier element takes place around 4:50; the song becomes more euphoric and uplifting. A simple albeit pretty good track. B

06. Chronos - Sacral Meeting [Rmx] is interesting. More industrial, psy, and metallic/futuristic sounds are born out of this happening meeting. More colors and sounds express as moments, particles rather than formulated and developing rhythms. The song continuously collects, releases sounds. It's interesting to see the album attain unpredictable, less linear tracks, as the previous two built strength on a relatively predictable path. I can't sense where the song's taking me here. Its ability to regroup, recoup, and redesign itself as it progresses is impressive. Lots of alterations seem to take place that enhance the track, but my favorite parts involve the little lifts, such as the one around 3:17. The song has a handful of these "lifts" that provide bursts of energy around the psychedelic art. Unfortunately the track seems to have the least mastered, finalized process, production wise. I can't feel bass; the song seems thinned out to some degree, soundwise. Overall, this is an interesting, psychedelic track. B+

07. Asura - Dust and Daffodils is the first artist on the compilation that more familiar with. What Asura creates here is fairly different in style from their previous work; a more soothing ambient-influenced trance piece. The beat appears to be secondary, though paramount as foundation to the harmonious, moving walls of melodies. From its first-melody wave around 2:05, the song becomes more musical and emotive as it moves forward. Listen to the gripping part before the track evolves around 3:55. Their is a unique moment that lasts around :45 seconds. This doorway opens for new sounds, smart layering like an enlightened orchestra. Strings, pads, ambient, and various tunes play to the simple albeit effective beat. This is mainly a tune driven track filled love and light. It sounds so simple initially, yet its melodies are quite effective, warm, and memorable. Strong track. B+

08. Aes Dana - Air Conditionning is almost a little too subtle to me. Some listeners who enjoyed Aes Dana's more sutble work before their stand out melody work on Lysistrata via Opus Iridium compilation may enjoy this one. It has a nice background sound to it. I just don't find it does anything interesting all too much as it progresses. Progressive ambient-influenced mid-tempo is more like it. Without a clear hook, I'm not arrested, though the song is filled with a gentle, dreamy atmosphere and tone from beginning to end. A creative female voice alteration moves in the background to peaceful, open space. I think this is a pretty good track; it's just more atmosphere driven around a beat than anything, so I don't remember the track very well once it ends. Overall I expect more from Aes Dana. B-

09. RA - Cloudwalker begins with strong albeit gentle waves of ambient, in tune with a growing, psychedelic chemisty until the first melody lead takes place around 1:13. The song has a very nice sound to it, continuously building. Around 1:50 establishes more energy, melodies, and supporting sounds in edition to the attractive lead from 1:13. More development arrives at 2:28. The song is like a beautiful piece of sculpture that continues to evolve and know itself. The song has strong eastern melodies and flows very well. Those who enjoyed RA's mid-tempo work on 2008's 9th album will notice inspirations right away. Included is a souring sound in its final third, evoking more than a passionate nod to RA's Gateway Eight track on 2008's Sundrops compilation. The song is filled with passion and emotion, though less groundbreaking than their work on 9th. Great song. A-

10. Solar Fields - Air Song [Remix] has an answer to some degree to those who liked and/or loved their amazing 2009 release of Movements. I wouldn't place it in the top three of Movements, but Air Song [Remix] comes very close to the near perfection of style that I loved on Movements. It's great, and ends one of the better compilation of 2009 with strength. A-

In conclusion, this is an interesting compilation. I really miss mid and downtempo releases, and this is a quality one. While my least favorite track is that by Aes Dana, I'm surprised with how solid some other tracks are, save for the opening which is lackluster compared to numerous others. I hadn't heard of Aquascape & Skydan before, yet their Voice Of The Universe number is awesome, and that song appears before the more known line up. It's also nice to see Solar Fields following up their style from 2009's Movements album, which is superb. Air is one of the better compilations of the year. Update: Water and Fire are now released (2009) and both are better IMO.

Favorite tracks 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10

B

Samples

http://altar.fonderieart.com/air.html

Order

http://www.altar-records.com/preorders.html

For me this album is more uneven then I thought it would be, but still well worth it. Sometimes I think that I listen to too much great music and in that way kind of raise my own standards too much if you know what I mean..? Anyway, I discovered Dj Zen on "Opus iridium" ( by the alias of Astral waves), loved his track there and because he "compiled" this, I thought this would be a sure buy. (Along with the great line-up of course).

A little bit dissapointed in the way the CD is packaged - it comes in a cartonnage, which really does´nt look good in my record collection. (I´m a snob I know). I really think that if you are gonna make a compilation in this standard (music-wise), you should at least distribute it in digipack. I would gladly pay a little bit more for that!

Now to the music. I will describe it in short terms:

Zymosis - Zeta bieng flute mix - 6/10 (Nice opening, nothing more - nothing less. Nothing that gets stuck in my mind.)

Aquascape & Skydan - Voice of the universe - 8/10 (You´re right Jon, this is a damn good track. Uplifting!)

Dj Zen & Jace - Speak your mind (open air mix) - 7/10 (Nice).

Tentura - Discover - 6/10 (Ok. Had to reduce one point from this one. This has a TRULY cheesy melody).

Shakri - Aurora borealis - 7/10 (Nice).

Chronos - Sacral meeting midnight storm - 8,5/10 (My favourite on this compilation. This is psychedelic at it´s best!)

Asura - Dust and daffodils - 7,5/10 (This is a track to get lost in. The way the track is "pulsating" - I love the idea.)

Aes Dana - Air conditioning - 6/10 (a little bit dissapointed here, I expected more from Aes Dana. Deep - yes, technical skills - yes, interresting - no.)

Ra - Cloudwalker - 7,5/10 (Ra´s music is hard for me to describe in terms of liking or not liking. Their music is almost too perfect. I seldom listen to their CD [9th], but still i´m glad I bought it.)

Solar fields - Air song (remix) - 8/10 (Solar fields best tracks are the bomb while his less good tracks can be kind of boring. This is stabile and progresses in a nice and firm way. I think of a smoke-filled bar, gangsters playing cards and a threatful, yet melancholic atmosphere.)

This IS a quality compilation and i´m glad I bought it. Yet not Suntrip standard, but really - what is?

Mostly agree with Klas. I would probably give lower scores to some tracks.

The album is very uneven. First track is pretty bad, never heard a more irritating flute. Second track is fantastic and my favourite on the album. Next we go down again and so on. It's a bunch of ups and downs but none of the ups reach too far up :) It's hard to listen to this CD in one sitting so I normally just listen to a few select songs when I feel like a song or two.

Based on this album I won't be getting the next installment.

Is it even possible for RA to disappoint? I really doubt that. What a track.

I suppose you refer to my "review"...

You´re right, I take it back. I LIKE Ra (maybe you can say even love). It´s just that that I miss some "edge" sometimes, it´s almost TOO divine and floating... :)

I know people, i´m such a gourmet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After several weeks and many (I mean MANY) listens, I have this to say.

01. Zymosis - Zeta Bieng [Flute Mix] is arguably the weakest track on the compilation. I won't argue that. I occasionally listen to it though, as the compilation improves dramatically afterwards.

02. Aquascape & Skydan - Voice Of The Universe is awesome. It's dreamy and transcending. The first half to two thirds is magical.

03. Dj Zen & Jace - Speak Your Mind [Open Air Mix] is very well done. There is a part in the middle where the entire thing breaks out into deep, harmonic tribal trance. There are so many cool influences on this track.

04. Tentura - Discover has a strong, driving beat a la Asura's previous work around catchy melody/sound work. I really like this number it's good and/or great.

05. Shakri - Aurora Borealis is simpler than previous numbers, includes a nice, female-esque albeit reoccurring rhythm and/or sound throughout. The song is more progressive. It's not the strongest track on the album, but pretty good nonetheless.

06. Chronos - Sacral Meeting [Rmx] is interesting, psychedelic, but seems like it's missing bass (oomph), creating technical production strength as surrounding tracks have. If someone told me that this song had skipped the mastering process, I'd believe them. It's still a cool track though.

07. Asura - Dust and Daffodils is contemplative, more peaceful, and harmonic than their more known space ambient-influenced trance. The production is much better here than on the previous number, though the direction is more nice sounding and relatively catchy than super or infectious to my ears. This is easily one of the better number's here.

08. Aes Dana - Air Conditioning is a foggy ride to nowhere interesting. It's a less catchy segment on an otherwise good compilation. Still I can't say it's bad; subtle sound/atmospheric work around the beat gives it life, albeit less energy and addiction that I'd prefer by them. I feel like this song could have been so much better had it evolved in the last third to something really delicious; the final result comes off as forgettable; I'd even say lazy. That's just how I'd describe it.

09. RA - Cloudwalker is another well done track, one of the better tracks here as well. It just sounds a bit too similar at times to a song they released last year. So I tend to find it less refreshing, though it's good and/or great.

10. Solar Fields - Air Song [Remix] is a gentle breeze of delight. It has a really nice atmosphere and developing tune that hooks to some degree. The track's grown on me. That said, their most impressive work to me is on their 2009 album Movements to date, though this is a new song in that general, wonderful style. It's a bit more subtle, very well done.

For this first compilation in the elemental series (next is Water, now reviewed), and after hearing it numerous times, I would give Air a B, not a B+

In conclusion, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses when looking at the whole. Air starts out a bit bumpy, gets better after that, and has a handful of healthy highs. The compilation has room for improvement, and I expected more from the track list, but with exception to Aes Dana, I'm satisfied with the other well known artists. RA's is great, and while Asura's is less spicy than what I've heard from them before, the song is mature, thoughtful, and moving. I like it, and I look forward to Altar's next release, considering they have the artists here, the potential for something amazing. Overall, Air is a nice mid/down-tempo/chill compilation with some good and great tracks on it. No more. No less. Listen to the samples and decide for yourself. :)

• 2 months later...

Really great release in my opinion... very much recommended. The Solar Fields track 'Air Song' is so damn good, can't stop listening to it. :rolleyes: