Terminator Salvation

Redington

Anyone see it yet?

I saw it a couple days ago. It wasn't bad. The CGI was fantastic. But the content of the movie didn't live up to what I hoped it would. I guess that was a fat chance of happening perfectly. Meh, rarely any movies do.

Not entirely sure if Bale was the best person to be cast as Connor but he didn't do a horrible job either.

I am sure it's a great movie. I mean they have to keep the vibe so it can work right in the boxoffice.

I liked all previous releases and the 3rd one was also great - though i read elsewhere on the internet about how pathetic it was.

The 3rd Terminato wasn't as good as the previous ones IMO, I didn't like the terminator was a girl, and there were a couple of ill-timed jokes, but it was OKAY :)

@ Redington: I have a hard time imagining that Salvation has a heavy plot (you should know what happens if you've seen the other T movies) so I will expect a serious CGI orgie, and some awesome action-scenes... Not a believable plot :) Looking forward to watch it!

I only enjoyed the original and thought the story should have stopped there. But as always happens after any successful movie in Hollywood, they wanna make more $$$ and so tack on sequels, regardless of whether they work or not.

I only enjoyed the original and thought the story should have stopped there. But as always happens after any successful movie in Hollywood, they wanna make more $$$ and so tack on sequels, regardless of whether they work or not.

Too true.

But Judgement Day is my favorite one, though.

But Judgement Day is my favorite one, though.

Right there with ya! B)

I don't recall a single movie of my childhood rocking as hard as that one... it was a complete and uninterrupted two-hour "wow" fest....

but... I was... 9 or 10 years old so...

I refuse to see it. First of all let's face it: if we liked T1 and 2 it was only because we were impressionable kids and they presented state of the art special effects. I'm pretty sure that if we had a time machine and saw T1 and 2 for the first time as adults we'd be like "WTF is all the hype about??". Second of all, the plot doesn't make any sense anymore since we are now living in the timeframe that was presented as "the near future" back then. They're just making sequels to capitalize on a popular idea, with no respect whatsoever for the plot (not that there where much of a plot to begin with but anyway...)

I refuse to see it. First of all let's face it: if we liked T1 and 2 it was only because we were impressionable kids and they presented state of the art special effects. I'm pretty sure that if we had a time machine and saw T1 and 2 for the first time as adults we'd be like "WTF is all the hype about??". Second of all, the plot doesn't make any sense anymore since we are now living in the timeframe that was presented as "the near future" back then. They're just making sequels to capitalize on a popular idea, with no respect whatsoever for the plot (not that there where much of a plot to begin with but anyway...)

I respectfully disagree.

I remember seeing the origional Terminator years after I had seen it the first time.

It still held up. It was a great idea that was executed extremely well. The other movies, lets face it, are just milking the same idea for more money.

I think if you or anyone has an idea to stick with it. Don't let it get watered down and lose its focus because that is what makes something stick.

The origional Terminator is still a classic just like the origional Alien, the other moies are good, but never as good as the origional.

Judgement day was damn good, but I like the grittiness of the first movie. It added to the mood of doom. It was a viseral feeling that built from the first scene of the movie and ended up being one of the most exciting rides in motion-picture history.

I am sure I'll see the new movie. When it comes out on video.

Both the first two movies are great IMO, simply because both of them have a ''twilight, apocalyptic, cold-blue-steel'' feeling in them.

The third one was too ''bright'' beside the mediocre plot.

Sorry if I don't make any sense, I just can't find the right words to use.

BTW I haven't watched Salvation yet, trailer looks promising though.

I respectfully disagree.

+111

Saw judgement day a couple of months ago, still in the top of my movielist! Classic movie, great story, awesome action and EVIL ROBOTS for fucks sake, what more do you want :P Besides Aliens, T2 is the best sequal ever made

I remember seeing the origional Terminator years after I had seen it the first time.

It still held up. It was a great idea that was executed extremely well. The other movies, lets face it, are just milking the same idea for more money.

I think if you or anyone has an idea to stick with it. Don't let it get watered down and lose its focus because that is what makes something stick.

The origional Terminator is still a classic just like the origional Alien, the other moies are good, but never as good as the origional.

Judgement day was damn good, but I like the grittiness of the first movie. It added to the mood of doom. It was a viseral feeling that built from the first scene of the movie and ended up being one of the most exciting rides in motion-picture history.

I am sure I'll see the new movie. When it comes out on video.

Ok, I lied, I saw this yesterday and it was pretty cool.

I laughed when the helecopter outran the nuklear explosion, but it was'nt a bad story.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I hated Terminator: Salvation. One or two of my friends liked it, but I didn't. My girlfriend didn't like it either. And we're Terminator fans. We almost walked out.

I loved Terminator 2 (with the father and son relationship). And due to my age, T2 was the first film I saw, so I loved it most. Going back to see T1 soon after, I realized that it was excellent in its time (and still is) though a little outdated via 80's music, hairstyles. T2 set the bar pretty high, once again.

Once James Cameron left (saying his vision ended with T2 (showing Judgement Day itself being avoided) the series should have ended there. The score, vision, protagonist, story/plot, antagonist, cast, script, special effects, and direction in T2 were superb.

Terminator 3 didn't know whether it was going for comedy or action in many scenes. It seemed to mock the original Terminator films by turning what could have been cliche into "humor" via sparkly glasses in the gay nightclub, talking to the hand (?!, and more). Moving on to T4.

Salvation, while it tried some new things and had a variety of antagonistic machines, seemed to have no reason to exist. I felt nothing for the characters, save for Worthington's character towards the end. The film IMO was big, loud, mindless, and showed a prolonged war (that was avoided according to Cameron in Judgement Day) for the sake of action's sake. A good excuse to make more money from the franchise.

As much as l like Bale as an actor (Batman, American Psycho, Equilibrium, The Machinist, etc), his performance felt wooden here (to me), dry, and not likable. And once the film's twist with Sam Worthington's character, the movie was close to ending. And we are left right back where we started, without conclusion but more war to come. Another sequel. NO THANKS. There's a reason why the studio auctioned off the franchise after Salvation. The film did poorly in North America and got fairly bad (very mixed) reviews. Naturally, some people liked it. The film had a serious, dark tone throughout. And I really wanted to enjoy it more than I did. But in the end it seemed to overloaded with action over substance, character development, and heart for me to "feel" the action and care about what came next.

Salvation, as with T3 (that I felt shouldn't have been made) lacked the magic of what made T1+T2 so wonderful. For me at least. I don't even know what I'd rate this. Unlike The Matrix, which should have ended with the first IMO, the Terminator films should have ended with the second.

Besides Aliens, T2 is the best sequal ever made.

I think that maybe, just maybe, I have to agree with that (for action films at least). Numerous critics consider The Godfather II (via rottentomatoes) the best sequel of all time, but T2 is more my type of film. I only wished that Matrix Reloaded would have been the great sequel to the first Matrix as T2 was to T1.

All I can say is Bale almost fucked up the whole movie. His acting was awful and conveyed no emotion whatsoever. Other characters were quite fine though. As fan of sci-fi and cgi though this did not disappoint. I love the Terminator lore and all of the cgi and sets made the universe look really convincing.