Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

MattMan

True and it's a huge dilemma as there's no way for any company or artist to stop it. I have pirated photoshop too. I couldn't afford the original for leisure use, but even if it was only $20 I'd probably still pirate it instead.

Putting more value and focus into the physical product is probably the best option right now to interest people in buying it, ie. making lovely 20 page booklets and digipaks.

Maybe Ayn Rand wasn't completely useless, I see parallels between this and Atlas Shrugged. Maybe the internet will become a wasteland in the future and artists will only play their music live.

That or real regulations will eventually be created, or new values put into society (by radical methods).

It will be interesting to watch it unfold. I need to pirate as much as possible while the going's good. ;)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he's not gonna change anything, but that takes from him the right to bitch?

What would you expect to say?

''Hello Simon here! I finally finished my album after 3 years of hard work, but if you want to steal it from me, it's ok! I wub you all!''

It's his music, so he can bitch all day long for all his life.

I wish all the artists have the balls to bitch about piracy.

of course he has all the right to bitch (about albums leaking before release). But it is a little odd to complain (while the piracy is going on for years already) too. basically he is complaining about this:

I run a business, now the market has changed but i am still running my business like i did before and hey all of a sudden my business isnt doing well anymore!! God damn I hate the market change and all the people with it that changed it! It should change back to what it was...

Any normal business would react with a change of businessmodel. Sure there would be bitching between employees at the coffeemachine about the changed market, but they would change their businessmodel or go bankrupt. So far most labels didnt change their model at all and are still trying to work the old way.

I am not saying piracy is a good thing. But I can imagine it could also be different than what it is now if labels/ artists/ distributors changed their businessmodel and addepted to the market. How exactly this should be done I don't know although i have some ideas. Changing the prices for digital downloads would be the first!

True and it's a huge dilemma as there's no way for any company or artist to stop it. I have pirated photoshop too. I couldn't afford the original for leisure use, but even if it was only $20 I'd probably still pirate it instead.

Putting more value and focus into the physical product is probably the best option right now to interest people in buying it, ie. making lovely 20 page booklets and digipaks.

Maybe Ayn Rand wasn't completely useless, I see parallels between this and Atlas Shrugged. Maybe the internet will become a wasteland in the future and artists will only play their music live.

That or real regulations will eventually be created, or new values put into society (by radical methods).

It will be interesting to watch it unfold. I need to pirate as much as possible while the going's good. ;)

Are you that damn cheap that you wouldn't buy photoshop if it was only 20 dollars? I would buy that shindig in a heartbeat if it was that much! What's the current price for it right now? 600 USD?

I don't want to argue about wether Twisted is greedy or not. I do find their complaint justified, altough maybe useless. I just wanted to bring to the attention that two of the biggest online market places in Sweden, for buying music online both have all shpongle albums. What my point is, that if they are there, they should be quite popular. But the main reason why I am posting this is the funny mistake in title on one of the sites! Check this out LOL Sphonglela????? :lol::lol::lol:

Let me interrupt your discussion for a second to spread some stardust with my star shaped fairy wand.

I just pre-ordered the CD and DVD and am pretty much pissing my pants in anticipation. Twisted Music has never let me down in all these years, these are the guys that keep me clinging to my faith in psychedelic music. I've had so many wonderful moments accompanied by their music, more than with any other music. Twisted shutting down, it won't happen. It can't, it mustn't! You rock.

But the main reason why I am posting this is the funny mistake in title on one of the sites! Check this out LOL Sphonglela????? :lol::lol::lol:

Looks like the title got truncated. They're goof.

And what is that on the right? Is that supposed to be the cover for the album? That's way off.

Let me interrupt your discussion for a second to spread some stardust with my star shaped fairy wand.

I just pre-ordered the CD and DVD and am pretty much pissing my pants in anticipation. Twisted Music has never let me down in all these years, these are the guys that keep me clinging to my faith in psychedelic music. I've had so many wonderful moments accompanied by their music, more than with any other music. Twisted shutting down, it won't happen. It can't, it mustn't! You rock.

Put this man in charge

Twisted Music has never let me down in all these years, these are the guys that keep me clinging to my faith in psychedelic music. I've had so many wonderful moments accompanied by their music, more than with any other music. Twisted shutting down, it won't happen. It can't, it mustn't! You rock.

I haven't heard anything that interesting since 2003 so for me it's pretty much the same if they close down :ph34r:

Does simon really thinks that bitching around will change something, and if he really cares for the money, why dont he start making more shows, isnt the way for psy artist to make little extra cash?

Why shouldn't an artist be allowed to bitch about so-called fans literally stealing his art? Of course, bitching doesn't change anything, never does...but venturing one's anger's always a relieving thing to do :)

Secondly, I doubt that Twisted ever sees anything of the money their artists earn with their live shows. The money generated with playing parties is the income of the artist, not the label. So unless the artists donate their earned money to their label, it will never see anything of it.

Does simon really thinks that bitching around will change something, and if he really cares for the money, why dont he start making more shows, isnt the way for psy artist to make little extra cash?

Why shouldn't an artist be allowed to bitch about so-called fans literally stealing his art? Of course, bitching doesn't change anything, never does...but venturing one's anger's always a relieving thing to do :)

Secondly, I doubt that Twisted ever sees anything of the money their artists earn with their live shows. The money generated with playing parties is the income of the artist, not the label. So unless the artists donate their earned money to their label, it will never see anything of it.

This little argument has become very interesting.

I can see how CD may feel better, but for me, I would take it as an intellectual insult to myself if I wouldn't be able to enjoy music regardless of format.

Medium changes, message prevails.

And about the piracy thing; I'm with both sides, sort of. Sure downloading stuff is disrespectful and evil. But such things do happen, and it's up to the company to decide whether they are going to take advantage of the situation (and change the business model, as Buzzwanker or whoever said) or just keep clinging to "the good old days".

What to say; decay is on the way - everywhere. But Simon is threating to quit making music - that's a bad thing cause talent is not st. you make out but it's a gift down from the rabbit hole!

As for profit thing, Isn't it naive to count with sales numbers these days? 

Maybe it's time to close down the scene entirely - to be born again; it's just not readable anymore...

Ok, how did you understand that bit?

As I read his comments he seems to be tired of empty Twisted account and was hoping that some miracles would change it. (new sphongle???)

He'll find some job in BBC or start making background music to Discovery Channel....

As I read his comments he seems to be tired of empty Twisted account and was hoping that some miracles would change it. (new sphongle???)

He'll find some job in BBC or start making background music to Discovery Channel....

Lots of assumptions there. Simon loves music and he lives off it very well. Read his words again. His frustration is mostly for his friend that runs the label and cannot break even with the poor sales.

Lots of assumptions there. Simon loves music and he lives off it very well. Read his words again. His frustration is mostly for his friend that runs the label and cannot break even with the poor sales.

But Twisted is about to bankrupt. And What is Hallucinogen without Twisted? As I remember he didn't want to make 4. Shpongle and cause high expectation he doesn't want to go with third Hallucinogen.

He loves his Live shows and probably will go on with them but there is a possibility that he will step down to underground...

I'm surprised Twisted doesn't collect a small commission for bookings... but then again, Posford is represented by Coast II Coast in North America as far as I know.

My full thoughts are on the Twisted Forum but I do feel like re-iterating that there is little profit in selling recorded music any more... but plenty in gigs, as reports of Simon's fees would suggest. Even if the highest estimates are exaggerated five-fold that's still a lot of cash. New labels need to incorporate booking and event promotion into their core business model; sticking to the traditional model of having one company for management and another for recordings just won't work.

What I'm telling you is an established, irrefutable fact that any audiophile knows. There's nothing to "disagree" on, there's only denial. Unless you can explain how it's a low quality rip, you're just blowing smoke out your ass.

There are two things you can challenge:

1. The source: Claim it wasn't taken from the CD or original WAVEs. Tell us where it was taken from, for example a vinyl, a cassette, a radio broadcast, a live recording... what?

2. The processing: If you think it was transcoded carelessly, which is against scene rules, common sense and rarely ever happens, then prove it by showing us what is wrong in a spectral analysis.

Otherwise just stop talking.

You are talking as if you have uploaded the album... I don't care much If I'm wrong or not. I do not rip or upload albums for free on the net. I really couldn't care much for your trolling either.

Enjoy life mate. :)

I can only do so much - buy the album, attend the shows, spend a little money on merch. Having had a job, made that money and spent it in order to receive great music, and help the label stay afloat. It's quite easy really.

However, there seems to be a large majority who are so insistent on downloading that they'd rather see Twisted Music burn to the ground than to help them out - with the little they ask.

This is typical for social economy nowadays... And I think people would rather break than bend on the subject.

I can imagine a lot of people rubbing their hands with a big grin when they've finally erradicated the scene of big names due to financial reasons, and all we're left with is 128 kbps mp3's, badly, badly tagged, and equally intense bitching about the lack of quality in the music.

The worst part of it all is that much of it is based on a horribly naive and selfish ideology that shouldn't see the light of day.

But Twisted is about to bankrupt. And What is Hallucinogen without Twisted?  As I remember he didn't want to make 4. Shpongle and cause high expectation he doesn't want to go with third Hallucinogen.

He loves his Live shows and probably will go on with them but there is a possibility that he will step down to underground...

If they are about to go bankrupt it is because of bad management.. NOT only because of bad sales. There will be loads and loads of labels that would love to release a shpongle album.

However, there seems to be a large majority who are so insistent on downloading that they'd rather see Twisted Music burn to the ground than to help them out - with the little they ask.

I can imagine a lot of people rubbing their hands with a big grin when they've finally erradicated the scene of big names due to financial reasons, and all we're left with is 128 kbps mp3's, badly, badly tagged, and equally intense bitching about the lack of quality in the music.

the very fact they are downloading the album means they (most probably) like it. If so the rest of your assumptions don't make any sense. i don't think anyone is rubbing their hands if a label dies.

You've got the argument before your nose, but you failed to see it. My point is that even if people like it, they'll rather see the record label die before helping it. The ideology of "sharing" far exceeds the idea of spending a little of one's hippie-cash on something other than "the bare essentials".

Can you give me examples of the opposite? What is happening to Twisted just underscores what I'm saying.

You've got the argument before your nose, but you failed to see it. My point is that even if people like it, they'll rather see the record label die before helping it. The ideology of "sharing" far exceeds the idea of spending a little of one's hippie-cash on something other than "the bare essentials".

Can you give me examples of the opposite? What is happening to Twisted just underscores what I'm saying.

I really don't believe people want to see a label die. They just don't take responsibility for the fact labels are dying partly because of them. People don't feel responsible for it. Because they are just one tiny part of the whole downloading business, besides them there are 10 000 000 others to blame.

If the industry would addept to the changed market they wouldnt have to beg for sales anymore, they wouldnt have to beg for one's hippie cash because they would already be spending it..