Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

MattMan

It's amazing that ALL those years you all suck Simon's dick and treat him like a God, but when the guy is bitching that all of you Simon believers STEAL his album you laugh and insulting him.

'One way share' is stealing.

bitching about downloading is like bitching about getting older.. sure you can bitch about it but it doesnt make much sense because you are not going to change anything. And charging $1,90 for an mp3 to download on a twisted site isnt gonna change much either...

Downloading music will pay off when people start to download lots and lots and this will not happen when tracks stay this expensive.

just my 2 cents ;)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's not so much that he's pissed that people are downloading the album, of course he expected that. It's just the fact that it was leaked before the release. He was looking forward to the release and the reception of the album. Some retard rained on his parade and dictated when the release would be...that would piss me off too.

He has the right to decide when and how his music gets released, it was uncool and unfair that someone released a shitty quality version of his album online. Now people are judging a lower quality version of the album instead of how it was intended to be heard.

Someone sent me a download link of the new Shpongle and I didnt download it because I'd much rather hear it properly.

Imagine you downloaded a prematurely leaked shit mp3 version of "Darkside of the moon" !!? It just wouldn't be right would it?

As for the samples on the Twisted site,,,,they sound totally off the hook to me, I can't see what the problem is. It's because everybody listens to music in such shit quality these days that they cant distinguish between good and bad music anymore.

Also, nobody allows music to grow on them anymore, they just scan through the mp3's a few times and then they say it sucks without it giving it a chance :huh:

He has the right to decide when and how his music gets released, it was uncool and unfair that someone released a shitty quality version of his album online. Now people are judging a lower quality version of the album instead of how it was intended to be heard.

Someone sent me a download link of the new Shpongle and I didnt download it because I'd much rather hear it properly.

Imagine you downloaded a prematurely leaked shit mp3 version of "Darkside of the moon" !!? It just wouldn't be right would it?

I would hardly call a 320kbps mp3 release lower quality. If you do a test you will be unable to tell the difference between that and the original WAVEs.

As for the samples on the Twisted site,,,,they sound totally off the hook to me, I can't see what the problem is. It's because everybody listens to music in such shit quality these days that they cant distinguish between good and bad music anymore.

The samples on Twisted's website are only 192kbps. There WILL be an audible difference between listening to those and the original WAVEs. The leaked quality is extremely superior to the samples quality. Consider yourself refuted.

Also, nobody allows music to grow on them anymore, they just scan through the mp3's a few times and then they say it sucks without it giving it a chance :huh:

They're comparing it to other music which doesn't require a hundred growing attempts before it can be appreciated. If you listen to random noise enough times it will start to grow on you too. :rolleyes:

just read on the twisted forums that the album has 600 pre-orders right now (http://www.twistedmusic.com/forums/viewthread/3674/P225/ on page 16). even though i absolutely think that people should buy an album and not download illegally, 600 units of an album that is not even out officially can't be called bad sales. most albums in this genre not even make 500 or 1000 within a year. what did jikkentekki say, he sold 10 or 20 units of his first album?

600 sold cd's is not much really if you consider you need at least 1000 copies to start pressing. That's the number most distributors will give you. You can do it on your own, but it's not really cost effective until you start with a 1000.

Most people need to sell the first batch (1000 to break-even) from an investment of 2000 USD$ average. I'm guessing flying the photographer to India and then designing the cover art in this case took this much.

so if you think about it... it's really not that much... we're not exactly talking about greed here.

I would hardly call a 320kbps mp3 release lower quality. If you do a test you will be unable to tell the difference between that and the original WAVEs.

The samples on Twisted's website are only 192kbps. There WILL be an audible difference between listening to those and the original WAVEs. The leaked quality is extremely superior to the samples quality. Consider yourself refuted.

They're comparing it to other music which doesn't require a hundred growing attempts before it can be appreciated. If you listen to random noise enough times it will start to grow on you too. :rolleyes:

With everything you said I disagree, just like anything you said previously... on this post. Just thought I should say that. :P

About the MP3's that were leaked... It all depends on the rip. If the rip is bad, then the quality difference between the original would be noticeable... But if it is decent, then it would be difficult to BUT still possible.

Shpongle still deserves to be listened a couple of times to imo... even if it's not ones style. It's just music that you gotta come to appreciate some day. Of course, that's just my opinion :) .

With everything you said I disagree, just like anything you said previously... on this post. Just thought I should say that. :P

About the MP3's that were leaked... It all depends on the rip. If the rip is bad, then the quality difference between the original would be noticeable... But if it is decent, then it would be difficult to BUT still possible.

Shpongle still deserves to be listened a couple of times to imo... even if it's not ones style. It's just music that you gotta come to appreciate some day. Of course, that's just my opinion :) .

What I'm telling you is an established, irrefutable fact that any audiophile knows. There's nothing to "disagree" on, there's only denial. Unless you can explain how it's a low quality rip, you're just blowing smoke out your ass.

There are two things you can challenge:

1. The source: Claim it wasn't taken from the CD or original WAVEs. Tell us where it was taken from, for example a vinyl, a cassette, a radio broadcast, a live recording... what?

2. The processing: If you think it was transcoded carelessly, which is against scene rules, common sense and rarely ever happens, then prove it by showing us what is wrong in a spectral analysis.

Otherwise just stop talking.

600 sold cd's is not much really if you consider you need at least 1000 copies to start pressing.

600 PRESALES which is alot for a chillout album nowadays. Would be interesting to know how much they sold so far from each cd they released. Or even how many they printed of the ineffable mysteries.

I'm guessing flying the photographer to India and then designing the cover art in this case took this much.

so if you think about it... it's really not that much... we're not exactly talking about greed here.

In these times I would consider flying a photographer to another country just for a cd cover extremely bad management...

Don't get me wrong here. I really love most of the shpongle stuff (early work more than now) and own most of their cds but I find it really stupid and unprofessional that he is whining about it. But it seems to pay off because many people are all of a sudden buying twisted stuff now.

600 sold cd's is not much really if you consider you need at least 1000 copies to start pressing. That's the number most distributors will give you. You can do it on your own, but it's not really cost effective until you start with a 1000.

Most people need to sell the first batch (1000 to break-even) from an investment of 2000 USD$ average. I'm guessing flying the photographer to India and then designing the cover art in this case took this much.

if it were not for the last sentence i would 100% agree. but i was not talking about greed, nor am i justifying the illegal downloads. actually i am just talking about the same as you, just from another perspective.

600 units of a release that is not even out on the market is a lot for the ambient/psychill genre, period. most other labels in ambient/psychill can only dream about that amount of sold units within the runtime - that's all i want to remark here. i know that it is not much sales compared to the mass-market and really urges anyone to buy the music either on CD or digital to empower the musicians to make more music.

For pre-sales that's pretty big indeed.

Personally, I think that if you spend 35.000 GBP on lighting for one show, for the fans, and afterwards you're complaining about almust being bankrupt, it seems to me that it's not really the fault of people downloading music. That happens to every label equally, and sure it affects the industry, but to me it seems like this is not the case with Twisted. Come on! 35.000 pounds! Losing money on a sold out concert? You can do a great show for the fans (aren't all shows for the fans anyway?) and still make money to keep a label running.

That's all I want to say about that.

About the new Shpongle, yes I've downloaded it because I'm curious, I think it sounds interesting but not interesting enough to buy the album [yet]. The two tracks that have singing in it, I really can't stand those. I simply can not stand the singing. I know it's me, it's not just Shpongle, I can't take that in almost any electronic music (with rare exceptions like maybe Massive Attack or Portishead or something).

Just my opinion here. :)

with 600+ presales, with bookings both here and there with full packed shows, with dvd's and older releases still selling. arnt Twisted doing good compared to the norm?

this is something i have been avare of for a long time and why ive kept a good grip around my passion for originals.

with 600+ presales, with bookings both here and there with full packed shows, with dvd's and older releases still selling. arnt Twisted doing good compared to the norm?

The artists are certainly surviving on their bookings, but Twisted Records also has a manager who's in charge of all the necessary paperwork etc. on the label. Who's going to pay him if they don't make a profit on their releases?

the cookie monster?

well ok, to get a well greased wheel like Twisted running is going to take a lot of monkey work.

hey even BNE who as far as I know sold many copies (compared to others in the scene) had to close their doors not long ago, so maybe Simon & Co will have to rethink their whole businiss stragedy. Maybe they could go on a DMT trip and get financial advices from the beings :P

About the new Shpongle, yes I've downloaded it because I'm curious, I think it sounds interesting but not interesting enough to buy the album [yet]. The two tracks that have singing in it, I really can't stand those. I simply can not stand the singing. I know it's me, it's not just Shpongle, I can't take that in almost any electronic music (with rare exceptions like maybe Massive Attack or Portishead or something).

+1

bitching about downloading is like bitching about getting older.. sure you can bitch about it but it doesnt make much sense because you are not going to change anything.

No he's not gonna change anything, but that takes from him the right to bitch?

What would you expect to say?

''Hello Simon here! I finally finished my album after 3 years of hard work, but if you want to steal it from me, it's ok! I wub you all!''

It's his music, so he can bitch all day long for all his life.

I wish all the artists have the balls to bitch about piracy.

It's his music, so he can bitch all day long for all his life.

I wish all the artists have the balls to bitch about piracy.

+1

BTW, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer, including installing a new OS. It's going to be a massive pain in the arse getting all my DRM'ed software - software I've paid for - to work again. And if you're the kind of person who likes to pirate stuff off the internet then the inconvenience I'm about to suffer is YOUR FUCKING FAULT.

+1

BTW, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer, including installing a new OS. It's going to be a massive pain in the arse getting all my DRM'ed software - software I've paid for - to work again. And if you're the kind of person who likes to pirate stuff off the internet then the inconvenience I'm about to suffer is YOUR FUCKING FAULT.

Hi!

I've never payed for any software all my life. I'm running Windows 7 and it works like a charm. You should try it.

+1

Funny thing is, it's a lot easier for the people who pirate the same software. Companies got it wrong by treating their customers like criminals. If you know the people who get your stuff for free have it easier, why should you make it miserable for the people who actually give you money for it? Makes no goddamn sense.

psylover15 - it's starting to smell like fish in here. Bwhale-fish indeed!

I agree. Bwhale (whales are mammals, by the way) is the only person on the entire internet that would possibly try to spread these malicious truths that go against the will of Simon Posford, our Lord and Savior. :lol:

Anyone who claims 600 presales for a psy CD is extraordinarily large, 320kbps mp3s are not low quality, or any other such nonsense that goes against the word of our Master must be sought out and burned, for he surely has blubber. :rolleyes:

Extremely good. Even though he's one of the fattest cats in town, everyone is giving him milk because he's also very cunning: he's warmed up to the average masses and knows how to whine at the right time.

It's going to be a massive pain in the arse getting all my DRM'ed software - software I've paid for - to work again. And if you're the kind of person who likes to pirate stuff off the internet then the inconvenience I'm about to suffer is YOUR FUCKING FAULT.

When it would be better to steal it and donate the cost than buy it directly, it must be your own fault for buying such a thing.

Funny thing is, it's a lot easier for the people who pirate the same software. Companies got it wrong by treating their customers like criminals. If you know the people who get your stuff for free have it easier, why should you make it miserable for the people who actually give you money for it? Makes no goddamn sense.

Believe me, O believe me, if you worked in one of these companies you would have a total different opinion.

Take adobe for example.

They spend millions on research and development, yet 95% of the photoshop users have it pirated.

If you worked in adobe you would hate piracy with all your heart.

And to make it clear I have a pirated copy of photoshop too.

The problem with piracy is that you guys see the situation only from your side.

If you were an artist who lives from his music (lives, not try to become rich) or had a small record shop and you have a family to support by this job you wouldn't support piracy.

In fact you'd hate and fight piracy all the time.

Everyone loves to get free stuff, everyone. I'm not rich myself, in fact I bet I'm poorer than everyone here, but I know what piracy is and I can't blindly support something wrong only because it benefits me.

Cause something that benefits me, ruins someone else. One of the two must be wrong.

And in this case pirates are the wrong ones.

We can talk and talk for pages, yet we all know that piracy doesn't exist because we want to punish the evil monster music companies (is Twisted one of them?), or because we believing in 'sharing' or because art is free and blah blah.

Piracy exists because you get stuff for free.

Good for you, worst for some others. Please think the others before say something else.

That is all. I have no more to say. Peace to everyone I offended (not my intention).

Ormion out.

i totally agree...

however, i don't understand why all the underground labels are trying to stick to the business plan that is designed for big commercialized record labels. yeah, the whole idea is that they are not trying to make money but it can be a sustainable business.