SUNCD16 Radical Distortion - Psychedelic Dreams

Guest antic

I've had an email conversation with him last year, he was planing to work on new tracks again by 2009.

Nothing official there though.

He's working :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any key changes, this time, guys? You know, actually changing the root of the bassline? I'm tempted not to bother with Suntrip any more, because the artists on them effortlessly copy the sound of goa but lack the spirit. And yet I keep buying them in the hopes to be proven wrong. Maybe this time?

I think key changes often make the music corny or nitzo. Look how many full on releases do it currently, and check how it sounds.

Got a mail from suntrippers where it says, the next release after Radial Distortion should be E-mantra.

Also, are there any samples for this album? Because the music on Radical Distortion's website sounds really nice!

Glad to learn that. Actually I knew E-Mantra was amost finished, but I didn't know it was decided, all the more as I haven't heard the music yet.

I need to synchronize with my ever-away-partner since he's the one in contact with E-Mantra.

Well, I'll put Radical samples a few weeks after Afgin's release not to "mask" it.

• 2 weeks later...

And I promise, everyone will be surprised with this album... not like their earlier albums, but pure goa trance :)

Good. Because they do great Goa-Trance.

I think key changes often make the music corny or nitzo. Look how many full on releases do it currently, and check how it sounds.

I agree to an extent (it's a technique that has become exploited to some degree), though I feel that Filteria is an example of an artist who knows how to utilize key changes in a way that enhance the album. He implements them well, never overdoing and/or killing the track.

No Mars, you're just making an excuse for lazy composition skills. Few full-on releases do it because most of them are by "artists" re-using the same tired old VST presets.

Talking broadly about modern goa - especially the type Suntrip release - there's absolutely no sense of progression within one goa-song unless there's some change. The argument you'd likely put forward is that trance is about repetition and tension, and gradual build-up. And it would be fair to say Suntrip artists achieve this to some extent in their music. But the mighty Nick Bugayev of Loose Id / Ultrabeat "fame" sent me some unreleased tracks that he had put together some years ago, and just like his works "Transmorgriphication" and "Cube", he uses subtle key changes to induce a truly euphoric effect. Compare an average goa piece from 8 minutes of build-up with no resolution (and I'd argue a LOT of Suntrip material suffers from this problem), to songs like this which do have a "payoff", and the effect is truly euphoric.

You can find both tracks here:

ftp://ftp.innerverse.com/ultrabeat-amplitude/

But I'd expect most of you to find them cheesy. God forbid people try and compose something unique in a genre that has too many damn rules...

But I'd expect most of you to find them cheesy. God forbid people try and compose something unique in a genre that has too many damn rules...

i think anyone who finds these 2 tracks cheesy, have a wrong understanding of the word cheesy ;)

cheesy tracks (which i LOVE) are more things like California Sunshine - Avalanche or Future Prophecy - Sunrise

btw, these tracks, though a bit aggresive imho, are very nice :) not as good as everything suntrip released (up to now) but definitly worth a decent look! ;) (hint hint)

Good. Because they do great Goa-Trance.

I agree to an extent (it's a technique that has become exploited to some degree), though I feel that Filteria is an example of an artist who knows how to utilize key changes in a way that enhance the album. He implements them well, never overdoing and/or killing the track.

If you are talking about bass variations: technically that are no key changes. That are changes within the key. Key changes are when the song changes to a different scale. The only song that comes to mind is Birds lingva franca (yeah i know that is a filteria song :D ) around 3 min 40. Sorry for the Off-Topic :P

No Mars, you're just making an excuse for lazy composition skills. Few full-on releases do it because most of them are by "artists" re-using the same tired old VST presets.

Talking broadly about modern goa - especially the type Suntrip release - there's absolutely no sense of progression within one goa-song unless there's some change. The argument you'd likely put forward is that trance is about repetition and tension, and gradual build-up. And it would be fair to say Suntrip artists achieve this to some extent in their music. But the mighty Nick Bugayev of Loose Id / Ultrabeat "fame" sent me some unreleased tracks that he had put together some years ago, and just like his works "Transmorgriphication" and "Cube", he uses subtle key changes to induce a truly euphoric effect. Compare an average goa piece from 8 minutes of build-up with no resolution (and I'd argue a LOT of Suntrip material suffers from this problem), to songs like this which do have a "payoff", and the effect is truly euphoric.

We tend to be really strict on quality and story telling so I dont really agree with you. I guess anyone into hardtechno would say all goatance tracks are cheesy so it's a matter of tastes.

I listened to the tracks you mentioned and I don't find them cheesy although they don't satisfy me completely (and again I'm talking by my tastes).

- Cube sounds nice but suffers from the "too mcuh in all directions" syndrom in the end.

- Transmorgriphication has a greaaat flow but what's happening at 3.56 is too bad imo. It adds cheese whereas it's completely unneeded when you hear the marvels that happen after. Serious storytelling here. Same at 4.50. The keyhanges in the end are cool because they emphasize on the euphoric feelings. Overall the track is supersolid.

I agree I would dance like mad on them in a party, but I wouldn't release them. Strange it's leeting me the same kind of feeling as a OmegaHertz track for example. It appears to confirm what you told about our tastes and what we release at Suntrip. I've been into psy for 14 years and electro for 18 or19 years so I think I know what I want. Fortunately we're 2 people at Suntrip (and sometimes more when we compile) which helps giving more fun in the compositions.

I swear we'll overcome ourselves for our next compilation (2010) and I promise it will whip your ass!

Sorry the bit of the offtopic here .

Chis instead of beeing here almost on your knees asking Suntrip to do something , why not and check out the music its on Phototropic , it's also a goa label and we have lots of goa music with bass key changes , still not going on the "cheeze" side. Try us and you might got out surprised.

Suntrip is not the only goa label remember that :)

Continue the good work out suntrip.

/Filipe

About what I expected Mars, but then again "Rise Up To The Sun" on Merr0w's LP was my favourite piece despite being lambasted for various reasons. Why does a goa or psy track have to spend all of its 6-7-8 minutes building when something like this works jus as well spending 7 minutes "at the rise point", rather than "just rising".

Filipe, I have the Agneton LP, and it's pretty good, shame Zelur Project had to come from MP3s :(

Filipe, I have the Agneton LP, and it's pretty good, shame Zelur Project had to come from MP3s :(

Good to hear it :) check most of phototropic's music , we have lots of variation on our releases.

I also got a new and it will be my last ultimate project "Rama" , im sure it will be such a big pleasure to your senses.

check this thread : http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=55965

anything just PM or something just not to keep this topic offtopic.

Regards,

/Filipe

I listened to Rama's Clockwork Knight and I reckon this is enthusiastic and euphoric Goa music, with indeed cool bass changes. Well done.

Tracks in this style were already released on Pure Planet vol. 3 but noone seemed interested (also no review yet?). But now that Suntrip releases an album, everyone jumps onto the hype.

To me this looks like it is not about music but only about Suntrip hype.

Guest antic

Tracks in this style were already released on Pure Planet vol. 3 but noone seemed interested (also no review yet?). But now that Suntrip releases an album, everyone jumps onto the hype.

That's not fair I think - just look in "What new music have you bought today" thread to see how many of us (myself included) bought Pure Planet 3. The fact that there's no review is probably due to the fact that nowadays mostly guys who receive free promos do the first one (because, well, they feel 'obliged' to do that), and then everyone else follows with their comments. Have any promos been sent? Why won't you start a review yourself?

:rolleyes:

Peace, my friend. :)

Suntrip do good work. You are do good work with Phototropic. Together, NOT! against each other. So, we are bringing never back the Goa-Vibe.

I want to see a goaparty organized by suntrip and phototropic together in the future. ;)

We're happy other labels release Goatrance too. I purchased Pure Planet 3 and several Phototropic releases and find them very good.

An intelligent thing would be to show some unity and not repeat the mistakes from Metapsychic times. That would help stabilizing everyone's reputation.

That's not fair I think - just look in "What new music have you bought today" thread to see how many of us (myself included) bought Pure Planet 3. The fact that there's no review is probably due to the fact that nowadays mostly guys who receive free promos do the first one (because, well, they feel 'obliged' to do that), and then everyone else follows with their comments. Have any promos been sent? Why won't you start a review yourself?

Right. And we never said we didn't send targetted promotion. Good reviews made by enthusiasts help selling, which helps funding new releases, especially in these very difficult times.

But I ask reviewers to be 100% honnest. We may miss something and must be able to notice, correct it and bring back killer vibes next time.

Just a slightly offtopic question here.. will it ever be possible to purchase single tracks from Suntrip website?

There are a few of them i would love to have in flac, but i can't afford to spend 10€ just for 1 or 2 tracks.