Kettel - Myam James Part 2

murphythecat

It's been 6 year now that i listen to electronica. I started with infected mushroom, then i found shpongle, and hallucinogen. Since then, i have been searching all this time for something as good as posford, as original, as exciting, as fun, as incredible, and i have never found it since kettel arrived. I have been searching for 5 years an answer to shpongle, but kettel is not an answer to shpongle or posford, but its as good definitively. For me, the album through friendly waters threw me to the ground, i was fascinated, it was the first time i loved something as much as shpongle, this album IMO was the best ive heard since any poisford work. then with mydogan, kettel proved how amazing he was with an epic sound. He as a formation in classical music, and we can see through his melodies that the guy know how to make beautiful music. then with whisper me wishes, he totally blew me away, he mixed jazz, idm and electronica to make a master piece. Kettel is defenitl;y an answer for every shpongle fan. It's brillant like shpongle can be, its tight like hallucinogen and its original like younger brother but yet without almost no psychadelic sound at all, but its still trippy becauase its so tight, so perfect!!!!. Anyways, through friendly waters, my dogan and whisper me wishes are completely different, compeletely opposite. TFW is completely idm, going off beat like ive never heard someone to the same. while whisper me wishes is just unioque, i feel inside my bone the song now find another moon or And Unrequited As Well. If youv only listen to mydogan from kettel, YOU HAVE to listen to through friendly waters and whisper me wishes, its a must, like i said, beside shpongle and hallucinogen, nothing IMO was better, i even never tough someone would be able to make better electronic than posford(cause i really consider his workl being more than special). I recommend from him cenny crush too, really idm, took me a long time to get used to it, but now, i find it amazing too...anyways....

this said, myam james part 1 was the first album a bit dissapointing from kettel IMO. He let go of his idm style, and went for something a bit more trancey, but it was still not trance, because the song was trance the first half of each song, but then every song had a long end, a long amazing end, so the part 1 was still pretty amazing, trancey without being boring, keeping the interest all along the album.

Now for myam james part 2:

the first time I listen to it, i was really dissapointed, theres too much classical song(just like the three song figuring in whisper me wishes: they are good, but still...). theres like 8 song out of 18 that are without beat at all. But while those none beat song are less good to any none beat song from mydogan lets say, the upbeat one are really something. He seems to have pushed the limit of trance! We feel during all the cd that kettel controls everything, that every second his mastered, no repetitive moments, it changes every 20 second max. I see that for myam james part 1 and 2, kettel tried a new area: the trance scene. I went to see on his myspace, and even one of his friend is in the armada label (same as armin van buuren for example) so that provfes that kettel wanted to do some trance.

First time i listen to it, i was sober and i was on my computer speakers: it was dissapointing.

but then, after burning and with some headphone, its another world. I would lie if i said its better then through friendly waters or whisper me wishes, but i would lie sayiong that its not a big fun time. Verkens In Londen i wasnt able to not move my head, wanted to dance so bad.

You know how trance work? the start with the normal bass, then in the middle of the song, a peek without bass, only a beautiful sound that is pretty boring, then the bass return, end of the song.

Kettel has used the same kind of style. bass...peek...end with bass.

he never did that before, but even if he's completely doing something i did not expect form kettel. It's still amazing. Michael Space Airlines is one of the most beautiful song ive heard in this style.

I wont go song by song, cause theres no need. All the song upbeat are seriously really different then any of his earlier work (kettel has always done something completely different every time on every album, just to see one year he did through firendly water, and the next year, he gives us mydogan, a BIG difference, it look almost like every album is another project!!!). All his upbeat song are pretty good, but his none beat songs are really disspointing, theres missing something on those songs, they look like the songs of mydogan, but less good, less soul, but those songs are rarely more than 2 minutes, he use them for interlude, so in this optic, its still okay.

Finally, Kettel as done it again, completely different, unique, fun...

ill give this release a big 9.2/10

this said, myam james part 1 was the first album a bit dissapointing from kettel IMO. He let go of his idm style, and went for something a bit more trancey, but it was still not trance, because the song was trance the first half of each song, but then every song had a long end, a long amazing end, so the part 1 was still pretty amazing, trancey without being boring, keeping the interest all along the album.

Ok I just have to ask this... Trance? Myam James Part 1 was more downtempoish than the previous ones but there's nothing trance, not even influence, nothing, nada. And still it can be easily stuffed into the idm-locker rather than downtempo or chill or whatever.

Ok I just have to ask this... Trance? Myam James Part 1 was more downtempoish than the previous ones but there's nothing trance, not even influence, nothing, nada. And still it can be easily stuffed into the idm-locker rather than downtempo or chill or whatever.

nothing nada? are you kidding, do i really have to explain, you can not read between the lines men, okay, yes, the type of samples he use its exactly the same as trance!! for the part 1, of course there no bass like trance, but beside that, the samples are completely trancey!

why did you need to ask, the intro is not important, if you dont think so, fine, but i did a review of the new myam james, i dont want to really discussed about the earlier work, or my vison of the earlier albums, please!

it was more dowtempoish? part 1? euhh i dont know what too answer to that, really? it was more downtempoish? the end of his song fine, but the beginning was NOT dowtempoish, beside the last two song!

nothing nada? are you kidding, do i really have to explain, you can not read between the lines men, okay, yes, the type of samples he use its exactly the same as trance!! for the part 1, of course there no bass like trance, but beside that, the samples are completely trancey!

Nothing trancey there.

• 4 weeks later...

[off topic]

i'm disappointed with this album :( i wish it was more like a continuation to part 1 but it's more like a copy of My Dogan but not as good. The album is still above average but i'm already grew bored of it...

[on topic] (or is it the other way :unsure: )

i also think this should be under other electronica but i'm surprised why people care so much! if it's that important ask one of the mods to move it. i don't see any reason why not having ambient/IDM (we are not talking about DnB/IDM) in this forum. if not interested don't read it!

[off topic]

i'm disappointed with this album :( i wish it was more like a continuation to part 1 but it's more like a copy of My Dogan but not as good. The album is still above average but i'm already grew bored of it...

i also think this should be under other electronica but i'm surprised why people care so much! if it's that important ask one of the mods to move it. i don't see any reason why not having ambient/IDM (we are not talking about DnB/IDM) in this forum. if not interested don't read it!

i agree, but the upbeat songs are stille more then above average, there on the top imo, but yes, the classical songs are a bit dissapointing, but really, you think that the upbeat songs are boring after a bit of listen? cause for me, those song like micheal or boakebas, or sentiment or Nicola or Begging For A Herring or verkin londen for me are all masterpices, but i agree with you, the calm song are les good then any of the calm song of mydogan

[off topic]

I don't care about Kettel being here. All I care about is making Murphy understand, but that is a bit too much for me to handle it seems. He missed every single point I made. And murphy, goddamit, don't quote me. I'm done with you.

As for the album, I agree with you. I had never listened to Kettel before Myam James Part 1 and it was the IDM that I really like, but this really doesn't feel like part 1 at all. Good music, but not what I was looking forward to, different style from Part 1.

I don't care about Kettel being here. All I care about is making Murphy understand, but that is a bit too much for me to handle it seems. He missed every single point I made. And murphy, goddamit, don't quote me. I'm done with you.

As for the album, I agree with you. I had never listened to Kettel before Myam James Part 1 and it was the IDM that I really like, but this really doesn't feel like part 1 at all. Good music, but not what I was looking forward to, different style from Part 1.

fine penzoline, but really, go see the early release, youll be mind blown, and i answered all your point, what you just have nothing else too say, so you replied that, awww come on, its hard hein haha, anyways really go listen to early kettel, cause this is where the masterpieces are, really, its all mind blowing, especially mydogan or trough friendly waters, but the special thing about kettel, is that in every different album, its different, completely different, just like posford, and even more different from album to album

i agree, but the upbeat songs are stille more then above average, there on the top imo, but yes, the classical songs are a bit dissapointing, but really, you think that the upbeat songs are boring after a bit of listen? cause for me, those song like micheal or boakebas, or sentiment or Nicola or Begging For A Herring or verkin londen for me are all masterpices, but i agree with you, the calm song are les good then any of the calm song of mydogan

they are not boring, but unlike part 1 (when it was released) i don't feel like listening to it in regular basis.

but the special thing about kettel, is that in every different album, its different, completely different, just like posford, and even more different from album to album

this one however... ;)

I understand murphy when he says that he finds Kettel extremly psychedelic and thus, is posting in the psy section. There are indeed musics that i find a lot more "psy" than 90% of the albums listed (basically almost everything that came out since ~2000) and i totally understand his feelings.

On the other hand, the psychedelic term is more often than not used for music that make us feel a strong emotion, and take us on a trip rather than it belonging to the "psy scene".

With that in mind, psychedelism is totally subjective and anyone can find anything psychedelic.

But the fact is, Kettel isn't labelled as psychedelic music (let alone psytrance) and whether someone finds it psychedelic or not is irrelevant if the purpose of the reviews forum is to review albums belonging to the psytrance (and psybient so it seems) scene.

Personally i don't mind seeing idm albums on the reviews section once in a while, but that would open the door to a very undesired possibily: that anyone finding an album psychedelic - no matter what style is it labelled - could write a review in the reviews forum.

If that was allowed then i see no reasons why we wouldn't have some hardstyle/house/tektonik/etc reviews.. and that's something i really wouldn't like to see.

I thank you murphy for the time you put in writing your review, and i hope you won't be offended nor stop talking about the music you like if its being moved to the "Other Electronica" section.. but thats what would make the most sense to me really.

P.S: Sorry for the off topic.

There are a lot of people on this forum that come here not just because of the psytrance. I mean how many good straight up & down psytrance releases have there been this year? This site has two music sections now, General Psytrance for Psytrance, sub genres and psychedelic chill stuff! Then there is Other Electronica. There is not however an Other Electronica review section so reviews of other electronica have nowhere else to go but here. If you put all the reviews in the other forums they'd quickly get lost.

In the review sections I think there should reviews that would appeal to the people of psynews! It is called PSYnews I know but it is not called psytrancenews. What is psychedelic is open to interpretation and for me Kettel fits nicely into my psychedelic chillout section. My Dogan took me on a rollercoaster ride inside my own head squeezing seratonin out of my eyeballs.

Of course there is the question "Where do we draw the line?" of which many albums would be black & white! Britney Spears NO, Hallucinogen YES but there might be more grey areas!

Imagine you are at a psy party & they played something in one of the other rooms! Don't you think that should be allowed to be reviewed here? I play in the backroom of psy parties and I play kettel, lots of 90's ambient, IDM psychill etc etc & it all goes down pretty well!

It would be nice if the opening review had the picture of the album & the stats as it says in the rules though.

So if there are any mods still left here, could you clean this thread up, delete all this off topic crap, warn us all and keep it here?

I agree with abasio, and my honest opinion is that releases such as this one have earned and deserved their place here.

It is not a psy trance release per se, but as abasio kindly pointed out, if I heard this getting played in some backroom while cheesy full-on is getting blasted on the main floor, I would most definitely want to know what artist's music am I listening to.

So, murphythecat, I appreciate you sheding some light on this artist.

Other then that, I just wanted to let you know that you have to be the single most snobbish, most illiterate, childish and rude cunt to have posted on this forum since my arrival. That's all. And if I get banned for saying it, I want everybody to know: yes, it was worth it. Fuck you, you pimple faced, blotch-headed testicle rash! Go suck on a thumb and get your swaddling clothes cleaned up, kiddo.

I agree too with abasio. What is psychedelic and what is not? Take a dictionnary and you will see every music who create an image in your mind IS psychedelic. Let us be openminded, at least with the terms...

How long did it take me to clean up this thread? Damn...

1) This is a review and as long as there is no review section for other electronica, this belongs here. Genres don't have a straight limit and are melting and intercommunicating. So there are releases like this one that relate to many genres. SHould it be here or not? Noone has the right answer. Still, I wouldn't like to see a Britney spears review here, ok?

2) If you want new sections in psynews, ask for it. There are dorect requests to the admin/mods, there are polls, there are normal threads, etc.

3) Review sections are not here for you alone. They are meant to inform others about a given release. You wanted to share your opinion? You want others to listen to your beloved album isn't it? You don't want them to read pages of crap and fights instead, right?

4) Murphythecat gets one month to read how to properly review, to train to keep a cold blood, to learn to factor his replies, and on top of all to understand point 3). Beware, next time is perm ban.

5) The Joker gets one month too to learn that reviews are not a place to make other members furious, neither to fight, and to undertsand point 3). Beware, next time is perm ban.

6) Penzoline gets away with it but it was close.

7) Topic closed.