Psytrance and countries

Ormion

MattMan's thread about psy artists in US made me think of something.

Who strange it is that some countries are very active in the scene while others not that much.

And I don't even have to go as far as the US.

Let's take Europe for example.

Portugal has many-many psy artists. It has a strong full on psy scene with a characteristic sound. At the same time Spain which has way more population have only one-two maybe known psy artists. tbh only Psycho Abstract pops in my mind right now. (And I don't mean artists who moved to Ibiza).

Another example. Hungary has developed a strong psy scene too. Especially in the darkpsy field. Czech Republic has only Gappeq.

And what about Scandinavia? Sweden: dozens of artists, Finland: dozens of artists, Denmark: dozens of artists, Norway: :unsure: (I only know 1-2 acts).

Or Italy. One of the biggest european countries and besides Etnica and Lotus Omega how many other Italian artists do you know?

Also, why there aren't many artists from Ireland, Belgium (which has a big Goa core), or Balkan countries?

What do you think it's the main factor here?

Or Italy. One of the biggest european countries and besides Etnica and Lotus Omega how many other Italian artists do you know?

Arsenic

To be honest, for first-world countries I'm inclined to put the variation down to simple statistics. Apart from the handful of countries that have a disproportionately large scene for whatever reason (e.g. Israel, UK), I can only name at most a few artists from any given country. Why can I think of three psytrance acts from Macedonia but none from Kosovo? Probably because that's exactly the kind of thing one would expect when the number of artists I know divided by the number of countries I know is of the order 1. Frankly it would be more surprising if the number of artists in each country were "too uniform"; there's some actual maths about this kind of thing which I either don't know or have long since forgotten, but the upshot is that a small sample size leads to a large variation from expected values.

I don't have the answer to that question, but all i know is that in France it is very hard to organise any outdoor party.

The governements always had and still have a very "anti drugs" and "anti rave" mentality, which is leading to a quasi non-existence of a scene (at least outdoor).

I'd say 99% of outdoors parties are electro/house stuff, with the odd hardstyle/psytrance/ambient party happening once in a blue moon.

That being said, there always was some great french artists (do i need to mention Total Eclipse, Transwave, BPC, Aes Dana, Khetzal, etc..?) and we have a dedicated french goa forum, so our community is big enough and still well active.

I'm not into this genre since a very long time and i can't really explain how it started here, but i know that the main french "dancefloor oriented" radio used to play some goa sets back in the 90s, so that probably made a lot of ppl discover the goa scene eventhough there was like 0 big goa events.

you could try my end of the world also

10 years ago we used to have a thriving scene here in new zealand, with alot of artists producing, and partys etc

now its absolutley dead with almost no activity whatsoever.

australia is much better with artists still producing, but outside northern rivers new south wales (nimbin, byron bay)

hardly nothing, but australia does have lots of labels, with artists, but alot of foreign artists on australian labels

Nice topic. I think that psychedelic trance is not kind of <<selfdeveloping>> thing,but on the other sude, it's like a tree which needs a conditions to be grown. guess psytrnace in portugal is popular due to goa being colony of portugal for many years. It's just an opinion. I mean weather there is psytrance scene or not depends on the culture. because psytrance is a culture itself. I don't think that the lot of icelandic or norvegian people would like the idea of being psytrancers, while Russia or ukraine or other postsoviet countreys BEING ON THE BORDER of the easter and western culture, can see psytrance as something that is like theyr own. I don't want to talk about why uk has so strong stage, because uk has always been (last 2 centuries (20-21)) as the center of the world music. About fineland and sweden, those guys created there own culture, we have suomisoundi and swedish trance which was the begining of progressive sound in psytrance culture, those guys are more individualistic, and in my very humble opinion - guys from ANOTHER CULTURE based on psychedelic trance culture, i'm not actually informed about what people listen on that peninsula but i guess that regular psytrance is less acceptable for them (i mean sweden and norway because finland has totally different culture and we could get them in the list of the guys being on the border of cultures) Germany has always been one of the best in every kind of electronic music but it could be explained more in a <<technological way>> than cultural.

I guess eastern european countreys will form the best psytrance scene in the future and the western guys would transform on something nonpsy.

Here in Ukraine we've got some really big groups which organize huge festivals on the beaches of The Black Sea inviting some big fishes of psy-scene. It happens two or three times a year. But practically half of all regions have their own small groups of djs who make small parties and the community grows bigger and bigger every year just because of these little groups. The forests of Transcarpathia are magic and it's another place to be developed for many future big parties. Some of our artists get released on big labels, eg. Overdream on Avatar and Z Lisu (great ambient) released on a local label. I also wish that my favorite Hippie Killer Productions will keep releasing more great music. So, everything moves and grows - but i am afraid sooner or later it all will take the path of cheese one day -_-

Here in Ukraine we've got some really big groups which organize huge festivals on the beaches of The Black Sea inviting some big fishes of psy-scene. It happens two or three times a year. But practically half of all regions have their own small groups of djs who make small parties and the community grows bigger and bigger every year just because of these little groups. The forests of Transcarpathia are magic and it's another place to be developed for many future big parties. Some of our artists get released on big labels, eg. Overdream on Avatar and Z Lisu (great ambient) released on a local label. I also wish that my favorite Hippie Killer Productions will keep releasing more great music. So, everything moves and grows - but i am afraid sooner or later it all will take the path of cheese one day -_-

Well just enjoy_!" Without cheese you can't have non cheese, everything is in order :) I'm sure you'll have some great years of psy from where you are

Interesting indeed. I've always found it very strange that there is such a big "scene" in Switzerland, being such a wee country. There are so many parties - too many even, so that there can already be some rivalry felt between organizers. Not too mention artists such as Paste and XV Kilist having big success and importance in the history of Minimal Psychedelic Trance, and a label like Traktor Schalllabor providing the world with futuristic music back in the days, hailing from small villages with no other inhabitants than hillbillies :P A funny world, innit.

Belgium has indeed a very active scene that offers a wide variety,

Goatrance we have suntrip label, no artist yet

Fullon we have Digicult, Sufi, Ephedrix,Aquila, Lani

Progressive is upcoming with 'loop generation' (side project of lani)

Dark we have whicked hayo

correct me if I forgot some artist or add :)

we are a very very very small country, from space it's just one big light :D

Belgium has indeed a very active scene that offers a wide variety,

Goatrance we have suntrip label, no artist yet

Fullon we have Digicult, Sufi, Ephedrix,Aquila, Lani

Progressive is upcoming with 'loop generation' (side project of lani)

Dark we have whicked hayo

correct me if I forgot some artist or add :)

we are a very very very small country, from space it's just one big light :D

Hey, you also got Jean Claud Van Damme :D(sorry for the offtopic :ph34r: )

Amanians

Another belgian: Antares

no way ??

never heard of them,

jos (anoebis) will know ;)

Hey, you also got Jean Claud Van Damme :D(sorry for the offtopic :ph34r: )

The mussels from Brussels :lol: , I don't know :drama: ;)

bla bla Norway: :unsure: (I only know 1-2 acts).

or Balkan countries?

- Trold

- PhasePhour

- Ra

- Dimension 5 (Musicians from England and Norway)

- Homegrown Lifeform

- Divinorum

- Phobium

- Heggmatech

- Espen and Elusive (Progressive Trance)

- Espen and Stian (Tech House)

- Loke

- Danse Macabre

- Krussedull

- Tech Republic

- Psy-Fi

- Humbug

- Uruz

- Ansuz

- Skolopender (Trance/Techno)

- Digital Energy System / D.E.S.

- Fragletrollet

- Hutti Heita

- Norwindia (Norway - India)

- Someone I Know

- KanKa

- AlterEgon

- Konkylie

- Helan & Halvan

- Freeform Syndicate

- Unknown Cause

- Peletorpation (Norway - Germany)

- Goalien

What do you mean? You know many names from Greece, no? :D

What is this thread about, and did Rotwang solve the puzzle? *

Arsenic

To be honest, for first-world countries I'm inclined to put the variation down to simple statistics. Apart from the handful of countries that have a disproportionately large scene for whatever reason (e.g. Israel, UK), I can only name at most a few artists from any given country. Why can I think of three psytrance acts from Macedonia but none from Kosovo? Probably because that's exactly the kind of thing one would expect when the number of artists I know divided by the number of countries I know is of the order 1. Frankly it would be more surprising if the number of artists in each country were "too uniform"; there's some actual maths about this kind of thing which I either don't know or have long since forgotten, but the upshot is that a small sample size leads to a large variation from expected values.

people don't talk enough about Arsenic/BON.

Your mathematical structured, reminiscing mind baffles me with it's logical beauty. ... :lol:

* for real in short words, Norway never was big on psytrance, but trance in the late 90's was Huge, Tiesto never sold more then he did over here. There was parties everywhere and they did rock a lot!! At the late late 90's Trance got so watered out that it became a weak shadow of it self with simple production, all too easy melodies and best of all, vocals was placed on top. After years of downfall and laughing of people/candy-ravers with glowsticks trance died out and became a taboo. If you liked trance you where either a 14 year old e-tard, or a hillbilly making and listening to dance music while playing geeky PC games.

trance 4/4 has a hard time being accepted by people because of the dunk dunk.

Now it's been many years since the fall and the darker swamp forest sounds of Yggdrasil Records is taking over and giving the Norfolks their own unique sound.

I'm planning to write something about the Norwegian uhm.. ,,scene". So nice topic Ormion.

the hippie minded people have always roamed around in Norway, the trance-hippies hasn't.

- Trold

- PhasePhour

- Ra

- Dimension 5 (Musicians from England and Norway)

- Homegrown Lifeform

- Divinorum

- Phobium

- Heggmatech

- Espen and Elusive (Progressive Trance)

- Espen and Stian (Tech House)

- Loke

- Danse Macabre

- Krussedull

- Tech Republic

- Psy-Fi

- Humbug

- Uruz

- Ansuz

- Skolopender (Trance/Techno)

- Digital Energy System / D.E.S.

- Fragletrollet

- Hutti Heita

- Norwindia (Norway - India)

- Someone I Know

- KanKa

- AlterEgon

- Konkylie

- Helan & Halvan

- Freeform Syndicate

- Unknown Cause

- Peletorpation (Norway - Germany)

- Goalien

Poser! :P

Yeah I know many of these artists, but most of them are pretty new to the scene (1-2 years), no?

Unlike Sweden, Finland and Denmark which are active from day one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ps. Are you sure Goalien is from Norway?

Poser! :P

Yeah I know many of these artists, but most of them are pretty new to the scene (1-2 years), no?

Unlike Sweden, Finland and Denmark which are active from day one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ps. Are you sure Goalien is from Norway?

:rolleyes:

Your right about that, there was an explosion not more then a couple of years ago. Yggdrasil Records is responsible for many of the names and acts like Fragletrollet does attend more then one project. So yes, your totally right about that.

Goalien is Norwegian (originally from Serbia, or smth), yes. I talked to him not long ago.

What is this thread about, and did Rotwang solve the puzzle?

Probably not. Since I personally can only name a handful of artists from any given country, simple statistics would explain the non-uniformity I can see. But some people (like you) can evidently think of a lot more acts than I, so you would be in a much better position to say whether some countries really have a lot more artists than others.