Why aren't there more American psy/ambient artists?

MattMan

The US has a number of ambient legends/synthesists/sound gods like Michael Stearns, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Lustmord who have been involved in electronic music since late 1970s or early 1980s.

European artists like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and Brian Eno laid the foundations for the genre, but those American guys took it to the next level in many ways.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not androcell, only distant system, androcell is good for 3-4 minutes in each songs, then its repetitive

Maybe... I only listened to Distant System in depth so far and it's really good... especially the first few tracks, then it gets a little mellow and boring for a few tracks, but I like it more than 95% of Ultimae stuff.

if you really want to dive down into the actual reason is there was cultural shift in 2000 towards the right and then into a deep repressive government that made everyone afraid of everything. this was a period of boundary creation.

now that the country is moving towards the left, you can expect more psybient as boundary dissolution beings.

So your argument is based on the assumption that fear destroys creativity, and that a conservative federal government is at least partially responsible for the lack of downtempo music?

Quite the theory there guy.

i think the problem in the US is hip hop is a monopoly and has massive marketing behind it.

hip hop has destroyed everything here in america

not just music, but culture, language, clothing, television - EVERYTHING

just can't believe the consumers still just gobble it up no matter how trite and unoriginal it is

and the music is terrible... its just unlistenable garbage and it rules the roost

too bad...I wish we had more psy/electro/tech-house/ambient etc producers that could get

even 1% of the money and marketing that hip hop gets

then america could really see some good music

but the rule here is "if it aint on mtv, it aint music"

and I can't even get started with whats wrong with the rest of american music

producers/live artists/DJs - PLEASE MAKE THE AMERICAN PSY SCENE STRONGER

much love and respect to all

hip hop is safe manageable rebellion for the corporate elite. it makes youth feel radical without being radical. instead, they're basically puppets of the corporate elite. being guided to spend their money and acquiring products. is it no mistake that some of the most successful hip hop artists have clothing lines and 50 cent even has a energy drink.

psy music, expands the mind, makes people ask questions, questions challenge the corporate elite's grasp on every aspect of our lives. it doesn't glorify money.

this will change if it gets popular because then it will be money generating and will attract commercial interests. just like raves in the early 90s turned into massive events which had all the trappings of raves, but were just corporate events.

basically once anything crosses the money line, it goes down hill very fast. hip hop was once, in a far away time authentic. now it is a cartoon.

Hehe, there's a great deal of aricans around in Europe as far as I remember.... London, Paris was pretty black last time I visited ;)

indeed but not like america, where there is an actual population,

in big cities you always have different kinds according to nature/color/whatever... you know what I mean ;)

hip hop is safe manageable rebellion for the corporate elite. it makes youth feel radical without being radical. instead, they're basically puppets of the corporate elite. being guided to spend their money and acquiring products. is it no mistake that some of the most successful hip hop artists have clothing lines and 50 cent even has a energy drink.

psy music, expands the mind, makes people ask questions, questions challenge the corporate elite's grasp on every aspect of our lives. it doesn't glorify money.

this will change if it gets popular because then it will be money generating and will attract commercial interests. just like raves in the early 90s turned into massive events which had all the trappings of raves, but were just corporate events.

basically once anything crosses the money line, it goes down hill very fast. hip hop was once, in a far away time authentic. now it is a cartoon.

youv seen zeitgest havent you?

Just realized how awesome androcell/distant system is. :D

not androcell, only distant system, androcell is good for 3-4 minutes in each songs, then its repetitive

murphythecat made me truly realize that I've been wasting my time with this style of music. It seems

I'm only good for 3-4 minutes at a time which is PERFECT for the hip-hop / pop formula! I've shifted ALL

efforts to making pop-rap music now. Thanks, murph, I'll be flossin my bling and sippin Dom Perignon

before you know it. Say word, son. :lol: Look for me on MTV Cribs, kid. :lol:

murphythecat made me truly realize that I've been wasting my time with this style of music. It seems

I'm only good for 3-4 minutes at a time which is PERFECT for the hip-hop / pop formula! I've shifted ALL

efforts to making pop-rap music now. Thanks, murph, I'll be flossin my bling and sippin Dom Perignon

before you know it. Say word, son. :lol: Look for me on MTV Cribs, kid. :lol:

Yeeeeee!!!! Money FTW!!! Now you can have as many butt-naked chicks as you want. :lol:

I've noticed thru browsing discogs, that there are actually a lot of american ambient producers. Most of them release limited quantity releases (often by themselves) so only a small circle of people are aware of their music. And that they're not acquaintant with the psyscene makes finding them even a harder task. My post might be slightly redundant as I'm unable to provide you any certain names; I've read of many but didn't have interest in listening to their music, so I'm in no position to give recommendations in this area.

I know exactly what you mean. I am back in the good ol' u.s . of a. now and the people here are so brainwashed by whats on the radio that when I try to explain things to them or even attempt to let them listen to psy they cant be reasoned with and everybody and i mean everybody thinks all electronic music is techno. They will say something like isnt that the 90s music that people used to listen to. They are very simple minded fucks who are not even patient enough to give music a chance with no singing or a lack of traditional lyrics. They wont even give it a minute listen before discarding it as boring or to repetitious, no chance to see where the music might go it they would open their minds a little bit and let it journey through the sounds. They would rather hear lil wayne talk about gold teeth and what bitches he can get at the club, and what jets he can fly here or there. They need shallow words in their music to provide their thoughts for them, rather than experiencing beutiful music with no boundries. Now thats a sad truth that so many people are mindless robots who are being controlled by comercial music and all along they have no idea about it.