Do you really like Ultimae?

bwhale

POLL  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like Ultimae's releases?

• I totally love them
    • I like most of their things
    • I only like a couple of their things
    • I hate them

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alive and well thanx :rolleyes:

What's up in Asusa-world?

It's a pleasure to see u around. We were wondering at Ultimae why you don't post anymore your fantastic and exhaustive reviews about the new albums. Guess it's not because you don't like them anymore. ;) To answer to your question, Asura new album will come at the end of 2009, but well, this is not the subject. Thank you all for your feedbacks about Ultimae artists, it's good to see that most of you don't hate us :)

I don't buy anything on Ultimae even though I'm a chill out Dj because the way the tracks all just collide into one another, you can't even call them mixed because they really don't seem to care about pitch or tempo they just merge in a really clumsy way into the next tune...No good for me at all as a dj. there's always people who say to this well you've got all the tune to mix in ...but that isn't the point, with chill out stuff it's all different atmospheres anyway so I want all the tune.

Because I don't buy Ultimae stuff I don't feel as if I can comment on the music, I think it's good that some of it is still trance based, there's far too much downtempo stuff being played at trance parties that is just basically bad jazz so I'm all for keeping some oldstyle downtempo trance style chill tunes but why does ultimae stuff sound so fucking grumpy ? from an outsiders point of view it sounds like real bad mood music.

I like only bits of what I heard...indeed very polished, but often lacking soul.

Ahhrrr soul?! :rolleyes: I see many souls!

I don't buy anything on Ultimae even though I'm a chill out Dj because the way the tracks all just collide into one another, you can't even call them mixed because they really don't seem to care about pitch or tempo they just merge in a really clumsy way into the next tune...No good for me at all as a dj. there's always people who say to this well you've got all the tune to mix in ...but that isn't the point, with chill out stuff it's all different atmospheres anyway so I want all the tune.

Because I don't buy Ultimae stuff I don't feel as if I can comment on the music, I think it's good that some of it is still trance based, there's far too much downtempo stuff being played at trance parties that is just basically bad jazz so I'm all for keeping some oldstyle downtempo trance style chill tunes but why does ultimae stuff sound so fucking grumpy ? from an outsiders point of view it sounds like real bad mood music.

Well it doesn't really matter how they compile the albums/compilations (I don't have any complains though) but as dj u r compiling, and I have had no problems mixing ultimae, actually its some of favorite stuff to play with, very doable on the fly as well! But if u don't like their music it's something else, but mixing with it noooo problem!!

It's a pleasure to see u around. We were wondering at Ultimae why you don't post anymore your fantastic and exhaustive reviews about the new albums. Guess it's not because you don't like them anymore. ;) To answer to your question, Asura new album will come at the end of 2009, but well, this is not the subject. Thank you all for your feedbacks about Ultimae artists, it's good to see that most of you don't hate us :)

Thanks for your kind words. I don't do reviews any more, as I simply no longer have the time to write them. Writing an extensive review took quite a lot of time, and the little free time I have now, is spent on other stuff. Real life caught up with me, you know. ;)

I will never stop loving the music though. It's an integral part of me. And who knows, maybe one day, I'll take up reviewing again.

I'm glad to hear things are well with you guys. Looking forward to the new Asura by the end of 2009. :)

Stay safe and give my love to the entire Ultimae crew.

/DP

I like a few things in their catalog. Heard some of the fahrenheit compilations. Pretty good tracks on them. Regarding artist albums, I've heard Solar Fields / Blue Moon Station, Asura / Code Eternity and HUVA Network / Distances which were well produced, but lacked in the idea department. I've not found new interest in checking their recent releases. I've formed a picture their releases are generally more of a wallpaper (background) type of ambient I rarely enjoy listening.

I really enjoy the Ultimae sound that comes from the various artists. The releases they put out are some of the few ambient/downtempo releases that I buy. Most of the music that I dig is full power so I enjoy listening to the Ultimae catalogue to relax or even at night when it peacefully puts me to sleep faster.

Ultimae is a bit of a hit-and-miss for me. On the one hand I didn't like James Murray's album at all and Hol Baumann's while interesting was too homogenic, but on the other some of their releases are my favourite albums, like Aes Dana's Aftermath and Memory Shell and Asura's Life^2. The deep soundscapes give rise to incredible feelings. :posford:

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimae is a bit of a hit-and-miss for me. On the one hand I didn't like James Murray's album at all and Hol Baumann's while interesting was too homogenic, but on the other some of their releases are my favourite albums, like Aes Dana's Aftermath and Memory Shell and Asura's Life^2. The deep soundscapes give rise to incredible feelings. :posford:

It is the same with almost all labels, they are hit and miss. I do think that Ultimae is more hit than miss though, only a few albums I have not liked.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a too big fan so I've voted option 3. The Sync24 album is average with some good moments but nothing more (for my taste anyway). Then I have Oxycanta which I first thought was booooooring but after listening to it after a good smoke I did change my mind. It's very calm music and I think I have to be in a special mood to appreciate it. Carbon Based Lifeforms' album is awesome and then I got the Hol Bauman album which I wasn't able to listen to.

The rest is not exactly my thing. A friend showed me some Solar Fields stuff and I've listened to several releases in the shop. Most stuff is a bit too calm and kinda boring to me. Maybe it's the same like with the Oxycanta comp and I have to be in the mood for that kind of music. But what I really love about the Ultimae releases is how the CDs are presented. The cover art and the art bookles included are really neat, it seems like they put a lot of love and respect into their releases and even when lots of stuff is not exactly my taste I do appreciate that.

• 7 months later...

Aes Dana, on the other hand, produces fantastic ambient music. That's why I like only his "Aftermath" album, which is the toughest one to grab hold of, unfortunately. I find it the most ambient one, so to speak. Really deep, floating and atmospheric. I love it. What I usually dislike in his productions is this horrible sense of beat arrangement and percussion. I mean, Vincent must have this unmistakable talent of completely missplacing and missusing his bass lines and kicks. In my ears, he practically destroys tons of potentially great music with weak arrangements. Those morning trance tunes on his albums I find disposable.

good way to describe my thoughts! thought it was just taste, but that baseline always hits me wrong.

You convinced me to focus more on Solar Fields