Anthony Collins - Doubts & Shouts

kilgoretrout

I just stumbled across this and WOW is it ever beautiful... dark, moody and very emotional with an insistent, incessant beat.

Go to http://www.myspace.com/collinsvibe and the entire album will play beginning to end in Stereo. ALSO there is a free hr download of some other thing he did which is a little less dark, but has its really intense segments that sort of shocked me... see below, the Ibiza podcast link.

A couple brief one-liners from reviews I read:

"It takes real skill to make such technically accomplished production flow so slickly and Collins throws in afro-beats, horns, vocals and minimal samples with calculated precision to come up with something that is altogether completely relaxing and uplifting at the same time."

"With elements that range from orchestral and jazzy, through to afro-percussive, Collins captures the latest morphings of tech house and minimal, peppering them with ancient, ethnic and orchestral influences."

Cool cover pics too (thanks to some photographer but who knows perhaps they were Collin's idea as well).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess they call it "Minimal House" but do not dismiss this as some empty silly "club" music... it is deeply felt and actually rather psychedelic. And written and produced with great feeling, subtlety and finesse. This is really something, even if you do not normall listen to this kind of music. Quite delicate with a diverse mixture of multicultural elements elements juxtaposed in a really fantastic way.

My favorite is actually the opener "Fragile" beginning with its echoey soulful wordless female vocals.. then the rest that is slowly and seamlessly layered in.

READ THE REVIEWS BELOW if you are sceptical, or just listen for free and hear for yourself.... but do give it a chance to play out for a while.

Listen to it in high quality stereo streaming of his new album immediately for free at:

http://www.myspace.com/collinsvibe

Also download the free ONE HOUR "Ibiza voice podcast (2009.03)" at

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/music/podcast/Anthony_Collins

Downloads as a WinRAR archive that contains an 1-track 1:02 long mp3 file. You'll need WinRAR to unpack it, but that can be easily downloaded for a free 30 day trial with zero input, just by clicking OK.

Sounds a bit spastic at first, but wait till a different deep soul female vocal comes in at about 2:30 and you might start liking it... Overall it is a bit cheekier, but has a mysterious dark feel to it nonetheless despite the dancefloor-friendly beats. Gets downright seriously TRIBAL VODOO HYPNOTIC feel to it or something, especially near the end at around the 45min mark then even deeper at 48m... very damn impressive, actually...

I'd say this dude almost certainly does some serious molecular brain modification of one sort or another to come up with this shit! I LIKE IT!

Anyway... a couple reviews of " Doubts & Shouts" I found:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony Collins produces the sort of silky grooving house that straddles the precipice between lying on a comfy sofa or wiggling your ass off in an after hour bar. Whether its the sublime lightness of bricolage (liebe* detail) or the all out percussive noise of Rabouine House (Freak'nChic) the final effect is always deep and soothing. His debut album on the systematically strong Freak n Chic follows a similar vein. If you were having a dinner party in a Berlin apartment for a collection of DJs and some ubercool friends, this is the long player that you could safely stick on the stereo.

Once you get past the eerily-Erasure-esque intro the terrain is smooth progressing from there. The delicate tickering score of 'Blossom' gently eases in the evening like a dry martini sipped on a stool in a piano bar, whilst the closing 'Substance' just needs a fat cigar and some tapping slippers.

Neatly slipping in between are some more 'Shout' moments admittedly. The smoky lines of 'Mist' might drag you out of the armchair with its old skool atmospheric vibe and certainly the 13 minute long stand out piece "Prism' would get the furniture pushed back for some serious rug cutting, but the rounded and warm sounds are consistent throughout.

It takes real skill to make such technically accomplished production flow so slickly and Collins throws in afro-beats, horns, vocals and minimal samples with calculated precision to come up with something that is altogether completely relaxing and uplifting at the same time.

------------------------------------------------------

French house producer Anthony Collins has been steadily coming to light from the dark shadows of the underground, with over 40 productions under his belt in a mere three years on imprints like Get Physical Music, Liebe Detail, Cecille and Curle Recordings.

Today we gave his debut full-length ‘Doubts & Shouts’ on esteemed Freak N Chic a spin and can confirm it’s managed to further edify his status as a talented producer in the underground circuit.

Known for his creative use of percussion and sexy atmospherics, his debut on Freak N Chic, pulls out all stops with ten previously unreleased tracks.

With elements that range from orchestral and jazzy, through to afro-percussive, Collins captures the latest morphings of tech house and minimal, peppering them with ancient, ethnic and orchestral influences.

listen, ms. know-it-all.....

I get it, it's an advertisement covered up as a fan recommendation! quote]

WTF? Sod off!!!! I am a newly participating member (I joined a while back but haven't posted anything till now) and *THIS* is the welcome I get??? Gee thanks! For trying to turn you on to something I think is quite lovely and that I thought some here might really enjoy? You obviously did not have time to listen to it before sending your raspberry my way, so apparently you are just one of those net-wankers who posts to hear himself talk and make snide remarks, which he then snickers to himself about.

You know I got the impression reading the thread of reviews of the Skylon album (which I just got), with commenter after commenter saying "Bleh! Sounds too much like his other stuff... yawn..HATED IT!" that there are a whole bunch of really know-it-all CRABBY people here.

Apparently you are one of them.

Oh well, fortunately, there appear to also be even more really cool people here too.