V/A - Sharp (Selected by Absolum)

WJPorter

Posted Image

Artist: V/A

Title: Sharp

Label: 3D Vision

Format: CD

Release: December, 2008.

1. Basic Survival Instincts - Absolum, Menog (8:25)

2. Resolution - Lost And Found (7:39)

3. The Ultimate (Reconstructed By Absolum) -Digital Talk (7:26)

4. Hypnotized - Painkiller, Naked Tourist (8:17)

5. Roller Toaster - CPU, Neko (7:55)

6. One Way Ticket – Earworm (6:55)

7. Maniac Music (Edited By Absolum) - Outer Signal (6:53)

8. High In Chicago - Ex-Gen, Absolum (7:37)

9. What's Wrong – Synergy (8:14)

When I discovered psytrance, everything released on 3D Vision was a gem. Then something happened to psytrance in general and 3D Vision became risky business. There are releases like Sound Syndicate that still blow my mind. Then we have releases like Killers Inc. that simply hurt my ears and give a headache. And then there are, IMO, unmemorable compilations like Hardfloor.

On this occasion, we have Sharp. Unlike most recent 3DV releases I don’t care much for, this was compiled by Absolum himself. The cover follows the oldschool 3D Vision artwork while still looking up to date. I like that. Now, lets check the music.

1. Basic Survival Instinct (Absolum vs. Menog). What a way to start! It has the best of both producers in the perfect amount. It has enough of Absolum’s chaotic peaks, but without the risk of nausea or a headache, and just the right amount of Menog’s melodies and atmospheres, but without sounding like a darkpsy baroque fugue. This is what collaborations should be all about: highlighting strengths and limiting flaws.

2. Resolution (Lost and Found). Some random loops used at the beginning give it an industrial feel and a South African trance trademark. More and more layers are added, incorporating simplistic melodies with metallic leads. Plenty of drops and subsequent build-ups and the final run is intense in a frightening way. More metallic leads, elastic sounds, industrial loops, everything concentrates in the same space and I’m feeling lost and confused (in a good way). Lost and Found’s most innovative track? Not at all. Is it worth it? Yes!

3. The Ultimae (Digital Talk reconstructed by Absolum). First thing that strikes me is the production quality. It hasn’t even been a minute and I’m already pounding my fist in the air. Everywhere I direct my attention I find an assemblage of dynamic sounds. Ok, here’s the break. Rolling Kick-drum build up; I know this trick, yet it manages to trick me. Then the final run left me speechless. I never saw that coming and it was amazing. Absolum’s artillery at its finest with Digital Talk’s audio quality. Word’s can’t describe how great this track is.

4. Hypnotized (Painkiller vs. Naked Tourist). I’ve never cared much for Painkiller. He has some good tricks under the sleeve, but tries to sound heavier than he should. Naked Tourist has several releases on labels such as Parvati and Temple Twisters, so we can expect something dense. Plenty of loops and loud high-hats, an awesome riff around 3:20, and then the track takes on a different direction. More generic and repetitive riffs and I’m wondering if Naked Tourist only contributed with loud noises because all I can hear is Painkiller’s corny obstinatos. Why do I even bother? Now, if Painkiller’s your thing, you will get a lot of it in this track.

5. Roller Toaster (CPU vs. Neko). After Discodelic and Eat it!, I don’t trust CPU. As for Neko, I’ve never heard of the guy. At first, I’m not excited about this one. The track picks up quite quickly and it evolves into ethereal noises rhythmically scaling and a ravey laser lead. The rolling bass has a darkpsy feel, seasoned with techy elements. What a fun track! It’s almost impossible to get distracted while listening to it. Either CPU is trying to recover his street cred or this Neko guy is a genius. The key changes in the bass work incredibly. I absolutely recommend this one. I’d like to note that this track was previously released on the Digital Drugs 3 (Digital Drugs Coalition) compilation. If the track wasn’t so good, I would have felt ripped off.

6. One Way Ticket (Earworm). I can see why this track is in the album, but I don’t see what’s special about it. Don’t get me wrong, the production quality is very good. It’s just that it lacks personality. The style could even be called “generic 3D Vision”. But judging by the production quality, this guy could have a future in nighttime high tech trance. Maybe he’ll find that personal touch after doing a few collaborations. Or maybe he’s just plain, who knows.

7. Maniac Music (Outer Signal edited by Absolum). Starts off pretty aggressive, but with nothing special to offer. Eventually I see what the deal with this track is, as it displays some nice tricks. Around 4:20 everything explodes in nighttime laser madness. Things keep on building up as the bass line and melodies make me feel hunted. This is the kind of stuff that I want to listen to in an open-air party at 3am.

8. High in Chicago (Ex-Gen vs Absolum). Ok, what the hell is up with the voice sample? “It was about 6:15 in the morning. I’m drunk and I’m high and I’m in Chicago…”. An OK track. The highlights have to do more with production than the track’s narrative. Some pretty interesting sounds, screeches, beams, atmospheres, and filters. As for the song, it sounds like a water-downed Absolum track next to some of the stuff in this album.

9. What’s Wrong? (Synergy). I’ll tell you what’s wrong: this track. Something doesn’t feel right. It could be the flow, the repetitive riffs for the intense effect, or both. Could it be that they are trying to hard? I think they are; it feels forced in. I am not satisfied with this. Absolum and CPU have individually disappointed me in the past; I don’t see what could keep them from doing so together. The sad thing is that I am not surprised to be disappointed.

Overall: Considering the amount of crapy releases out there, this is a rather solid album. Absolum, who has also been guilty of contributing to the psytrance crap pool, did a very good job cleaning his name and coming up with a compilation that actually reflects the label’s direction instead of just trying to and failing along the way. Yes, there are a few fillers, but just “a few” is an accomplishment these days. I love that that it is 100% 3D Vision, yet I can hear some Spectral, Nutek, and MMD in the album. In other words, it is a must have for high-tech trance aficionados.

Favorites: 1(!), 2, 3 (!!!), 5 , 7.

Nice compilation for sure.

Aggressive full on and pretty Absolum-ish.

My fav track is Hypnotized because of its middle part, very intense!

The Absolum vs Menog collaboration is indeed great, but it needs more dark melodies IMO to call it a monster track.

No bad tracks in here.

7.5/10

• 7 years later...

"It was about...6:15 in the morning. I'm drunk and I'm high. And I'm in Chicago."

fqQU68F.gif

Every f*cking Disney movie should begin this way. I know I'd watch to see what Mickey would do after an all night bender at the local brothel. 37 voicemails Mickey....and where's Minnie? Last thing you remember was playing a duet on the piano and then...? What are you gonna do now? Damn Disney I just wrote your new edgy graphic novel. Talk about expanding market share. You're welcome.

Like the title says this is a sharp compilation. 3D Vision doesn't mess around, consistently delivering the night time acidic madness. Compiled by one of the baddest dudes in the psy scene Sharp goes for the throat right from the jump. Track after track of chip on the shoulder, hi-tech wizardry. And they dare you to knock it off. Acid deluges thick enough to lose your way while it activates your dancing muscles. Even CPU (whose talent for wrecking sh*t left him long ago) doesn't do too badly. By hey...it's no Eat It and for that we should all be thankful. Most of the tracks stay true to what 3D Vision does with only a few missteps.

Highly recommended.