How much the cover of an album affects you?

Ormion

i think the cover is very important. because it says something.

1.) if the label does the cover, it means the artist doesn't get control over their vision.

2.) if the label does the cover it could also mean the artist has no vision for their sound.

3.) if the cover is control by the artist it means they have a visual idea of what they are intending to make.

4.) if the cover features a faceshot of the artist mugging for the camera it means they have a big ego problem and their music is going to suck.

psymusic is visionary. so the cover should tell you something about them.

i think the cover is very important. because it says something.

1.) if the label does the cover, it means the artist doesn't get control over their vision.

2.) if the label does the cover it could also mean the artist has no vision for their sound.

3.) if the cover is control by the artist it means they have a visual idea of what they are intending to make.

4.) if the cover features a faceshot of the artist mugging for the camera it means they have a big ego problem and their music is going to suck.

psymusic is visionary. so the cover should tell you something about them.

okay yeah, wow a bit there! too much thingking up here!honestl i will accept some things, and reject other, like your 1.) if the label does the cover, it means the artist doesn't get control over their vision.

2.) if the label does the cover it could also mean the artist has no vision for their sound. not always at all, and the vision of them music, yesw but it doesnt mean that necessarely, its bad, anyways

The biggest influence cover art has had on me was actually very recently with Principles of Flight's Chaos Opera. For some reason the cover art projected such a strong vibe on me that it was impossible to not feel it along with the music. Maybe it was a book I just read or something but it's like I know exactly what world that character lives in, you know?

Posted Image

in my opinion the artist should have a strong idea of what their total vision is, and that includes the cover. if the label does all that, then it is not the artists vision, but the vision some random graphic designer.

to put this into context imagine an ambient album like anything by fennesz with a girl in a biki on the cover with headphones. if ministry of sound put out the album, that would be the cover.

Personally I don't care for the artistry on album covers. Some covers I like, others I don't, but they never effect my appreciation (or non-appreciation) of the music. I barely study album covers for more than a few seconds anyway and am much more interested with the written information printed on the album than the artwork itself. Ultimately, the imagery I associate with the music I create in my head while it plays, so those printed on the album, to me at least, are redundant.

Personally I don't care for the artistry on album covers. Some covers I like, others I don't, but they never effect my appreciation (or non-appreciation) of the music. I barely study album covers for more than a few seconds anyway and am much more interested with the written information printed on the album than the artwork itself. Ultimately, the imagery I associate with the music I create in my head while it plays, so those printed on the album, to me at least, are redundant.

lol

fascinating since i dont really imagine an image for what im listening, i might not be a true artist

Most forms of music get my mind painting pictures. When I hear blues I invariably think of train tracks or the open road, of being on the move, traditional folk music usually gets me thinking of fields, of rivers and open countryside a lot of trance/psy music propogates images of other wordly stuff like pixies or secret gardens where strange plants and flowers grow. I dunno, I think several years of acid abuse are probably to blame. -_-

It's the music that counts ofcoarse, but an album cover that prefectly fits the music, like the Ultimae covers ussually do so well, does wonders.

It's allways a shame when great music is presented with a bad cover.

Although, a great cover or a bad cover doesn't make the music sound any better/greater, but it's just so much nicer when good music goes together with a nice cover, I also like a thick booklet, not just one paper folded in half.

Most forms of music get my mind painting pictures. When I hear blues I invariably think of train tracks or the open road, of being on the move, traditional folk music usually gets me thinking of fields, of rivers and open countryside a lot of trance/psy music propogates images of other wordly stuff like pixies or secret gardens where strange plants and flowers grow. I dunno, I think several years of acid abuse are probably to blame. -_-

No, I've never done acid and I'm the same way.