Real psychedelic movies

2kijad

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh you can find all the subs you want on http://www.opensubtitles.org, just make sure you chose the right version (1cd, 2cd, etc...) :) Indeed without any subs this is impossible to watch since there are many scenes spoken in indian (hopi?).

ding! thanks, will be good to have in the future :D

well you see, normally whenever someone tells me that he saw a movie/ listened to a track under the influence I usually run away as fast as I can in the other direction... because ANYTHING you'll see/hear when under the influence will seem to hide some truth that you can only reveal when high. Even Sponge Bob. But anyway...

well of course but thats some of the fun part of it, as long as you dont go over board to surfe only to wein up drowning. like :posford:, only with a :(

anyway, i hear the student George Lucas project Imaxnumb3r550m3th1n6 that was mentioned on a page is supposed to be a pretty good one

meh just watched Blueberry and was a bit dissapointed... you people made it sound like the movie was entirely about ayahuasca experiences when in fact it was just a b-series cowboy movie with 2 ayahuasca scenes. Granted, the scenes were breathtaking but the movie as a whole kindof sucked IMO...

I think that pretty much sums up my experiences on that movie. They could have made a couple of psy trance vid's with that and forget about the horrible sub plot trying to tie them together... :rolleyes:

One thing I couldn't wrap my head around... how come if it's ayahuasca, this is meant to happen in the heartland of north america?

was that whole culture present in north america too?

I've always heard you have to travel south to the jungle for that...

I think that pretty much sums up my experiences on that movie. They could have made a couple of psy trance vid's with that and forget about the horrible sub plot trying to tie them together... :rolleyes:

I disagree. The trips were not just "Oh, wow" visuals that they made then stuck some ad-hoc story around. There WAS meaning and content in them related to the story. I think the plot gave the visuals alot more depth and power. What I wrote above about WHY Blueberry has this "monster" in him... and the appearance of the redemptive, angelic figure near the end, forgiving him... that I thought was so unexpected and absolutely moving, just deeply touching and breathtakingly executed... all of the trip sequences were really preparing you for THAT moment... did no one else notice that? That emotional impact would have been absent if these sequences were just a bunch of wild trippy graphics in a music video. And didn't you notice the SOUND processing and MUSIC during these sequences? It was absolutely stunning, almost as impressive and complex and psychedelic as the visuals. You must not have been paying very close attention... It would have really reduced the impact of the visuals to have heard only some stupid "thump thump thump thump" generic techno track behind these. The connections between the story, the trip visuals, and the soundtrack/music made for one very powerful whole in these sequences.

One thing I couldn't wrap my head around... how come if it's ayahuasca, this is meant to happen in the heartland of north america? was that whole culture present in north america too? I've always heard you have to travel south to the jungle for that...

Well, I think the film ended up with a bit of a hybrid. Director Jan Kounen spend a year being given trips by Peruvian shamen before making this, hence the visualizations are like Ayahuasca, which is what the Peruvians use.

HOWEVER, that is never explicitly spoken of in the film.... there is brief shot in the film. I think inside a cave where they have perhaps been harvested and stored I guess, of the "Treasure" of the indians.... and in that that shot we CLEARLY see hundreds of PEYOTE cactuses. So explicitly the film is saying it is Peyote... but those who have done them both would say the experiences shown are far more like Ayahuasca than Peyote.

I found the western scenes not a parody of the western genre itself, rather than wanting to show the contrast between the "americans" and the native americans. I agree with you on the visuals part though, it's much more than just some "cool trippy visuals". It's the whole story that is fascinating.

I found the western scenes not a parody of the western genre itself, rather than wanting to show the contrast between the "americans" and the native americans. I agree with you on the visuals part though, it's much more than just some "cool trippy visuals". It's the whole story that is fascinating.

Plus Vincent Cassel kicks ass as always.

Did you mean to say THX1138 ??? Yes, you should seek that out, it is quite outstanding.

lol you guys really like hyping up stuff... I found THX1138 incredibly boring, I had a hard time watching it till the end, I just kept at it because I was hoping for some incredible ending that would compensate for all the boredom but the ending was just as stupid/ boring as the rest of the movie...

ah well you see I've done a bit of background checking on Blueberry and it turns out that it's based on a comic book series, so all the main carachters are taken from there, which says a LOT on if the storyline was specially made to lead to the ayahuasca experience or if the ayahuasca experience was "forced" on the story...

• 2 months later...

QUOTE (Ormion @ Jun 19 2009, 06:37 PM) Altered States is a classic. It's a completely different movie than BlueBerry.

It's about different things, made with different techniques (without any CGI) and iconoclastic, not silly.

well it's about something different and made with different techniques indeed but maan, it's WAY off... the mere idea of becoming an ape (not THINKING that you're an ape, actually becoming one), and beyond that, going to the origins of the universe just by tripping is ridiculous. Anywone who's done acid in his life and/or has had regressive experiences will tell you that. It's like Knight Rider: it might seem plausible when you're a kid and don't know jack shit, but once you know how cars/ computers are made you realize it's WAY off.

Yeasomeone could hypothetically hallucinate that sort of thing, butreally... NAH... pure make-believe by the writer, these are just notthe sort of things that 99.9% of people doing hallucinogens everexperience.

Altered States is loosely based on Dr. John C. Lilly's Ketamine and isolation tank experiments.

There is a short explanation of the ape man experiences on this page: John Lilly, Ketamine and The Entities From ECCO

As the article linked above explains the ape man thing is an experience that one of Lilly's co-experimenters actually had under the influence of K. Surely the film is just using some artistic licence to show what was happening in the persons own head and how real it seemed to them. A quote from the article:

From this experiment, Enright and Lilly drew three important conclusions: "First, one's internal reality could differ radically from the external reality in which one was participating, even with regard to prominent features of the physical environment. Second, the person might remain active physically in the external environment, in a manner not responding closely to one's internal experience of this activity. And third, one could remain totally oblivious to this disparity."

I thought that it was an amazing movie when I first saw it when it came out in 1980. This may have partly been that I saw it tripping at a private showing on a large screen, but i do still think that it's good, although the special effects look a bit dated now.

Lilly has written a book about his life and work called "The Scientist - A Metaphysical Journey", which has more detail on his experiments and what happened to him.

Head http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063049/

This is the most psychedelic movie I've seen or know of. I just watched it again and I'm sure it's one of my top favorite movies, maybe the best movie ever. It's left very wide open for interpretation of what it all means (if anything), but it's very intelligent.

Of course I can't forget to mention that Dimension 5 sampled "Observe, and act with clarity" from the movie in Deep Space 5D.

I think you should all watch it, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 months later...

lol you guys really like hyping up stuff... I found THX1138 incredibly boring, I had a hard time watching it till the end, I just kept at it because I was hoping for some incredible ending that would compensate for all the boredom but the ending was just as stupid/ boring as the rest of the movie...

I Agree! :x

• 2 months later...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242508/ ??

didn't find anything else at imdb ...

Yes thats the one. If you've ever crashed on acid or felt stuck or anything on the flipside, you will most likely get a very strange feeling from som of the scenes in this movie. I felt all strange when watching it. Its not great, but for sure it has it's values and should be seen by anyone interested in movies taking on the LSD perspective.

watch it.

Love the Fountain. I remember enjoying Vanilla Sky too, I've only seen it once, must watch it again. Thanks for reminding me!

Some great movies in this thread, I've seen pretty much all of them!

I'll suggest a few that I think haven't been mentioned yet:

The Dark Crystal

Labyrinth

Fraggle Rock (TV series)

Coraline and the Secret Door has some visual design, execution and storyline concepts that are very psychedelic. It's based on a novel by Neil Gaiman. I was watching this with my nephews and they got bored with it and left and I had to keep watching! Overall I didn't think the movie was that great as it had many generic elements that I felt brought it down. It ain't a kids film that's for sure. Wasted potential though IMO but I do recommend giving it a go, if you haven't already, for the visuals alone.

I watched another movie recently called Taking Woodstock. It's by Ang Lee. Predictable movie but there is a short scene in it depicting the acid experience and I thought it was well done. Made me briefly feel like I was on it a little.

Dark City

12 Monkeys

Contact

The Shining

The Crow

The Matrix

Some are welcome to refute these as psychedelic. I've always been a fan of intense films. Something doesn't have to be visually psychedelic and twisted or an abstract concept, it can be emotionally/mentally/physically intense and still be classed as psychedelia. You can't deny that a large part of the unnaturally induced psychedelic state is intensified emotional/mental/physical sensitivity. Any good movie in general can alter and intensify perceptions and experience so I could argue for the sake of it why I feel that Shawshank Redemption is a psychedelic film, imo. Though I don't really want to open that can of worms. Posted Image

"of or noting a mental state characterized by a profound sense of intensified sensory perception, sometimes accompanied by severe perceptual distortion and hallucinations and by extreme feelings of either euphoria or despair."

The definition of the word is hazy as hell. I'm betting that a walk to the shops for someone with agoraphobia would be a damn psychedelic experience. For somebody with an enhanced sensitivity toward nature a simple walk through a forest can be incredibly psychedelic. Or a singular smell. Having sex after long abstinence. But yeah, I understand the traditional meaning and spirit of the word, but in truth it's all very subjective. After doing long meditation retreats it cleans out the senses via the emptied, sensitized and balanced mental faculty and everything becomes very psychedelic. As I said though I should leave the worms in the can because I understand the spirit of this thread and I'm not attacking that, just rambling for the sake of hearing my own voice.

Jon Posted Image