Real psychedelic movies

2kijad

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Altered States is a classic. It's a completely different movie than BlueBerry.

It's about different things, made with different techniques (without any CGI) and iconoclastic, not silly.

well it's about something different and made with different techniques indeed but maan, it's WAY off... the mere idea of becoming an ape (not THINKING that you're an ape, actually becoming one), and beyond that, going to the origins of the universe just by tripping is ridiculous. Anywone who's done acid in his life and/or has had regressive experiences will tell you that. It's like Knight Rider: it might seem plausible when you're a kid and don't know jack shit, but once you know how cars/ computers are made you realize it's WAY off.

Studio Ghibli has some psychedelic stuff

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0048420/

But I guess we all know that allready...

But I forgot to mention this one,

a while ago I saw most likely the strangest film that I ever saw, I watched lot's of straaange movies in my life, but this one is probably on my top 5 strangest movies of all time, and it is veeeery psychedelic as well.

Funky Forest

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451829/

If the makers were'nt really high on acid while writing the script, they sure as hell made a movie that feels like they were really high on acid while writting the script. :wacko:

It's strange, funny and colorful, I think it would be just perfect to watch on acid. :)

And maybe Science of Sleep http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354899/

how can you watch a movie on acid!? such a waste -_-

ha indeed, personally when I'm tripping I can't focus for more than 5 minutes on something. However I think that he was refering to watching a movie the next day or 2 after taking acid, that's when it works best IMO.

Well, no, I was actually talking about watching it while on acid, :) I'm not saying that you should watch it while tripping balls, I couldn't focus on it even if I wanted to, but when tripping very gently, like on just a half blotter, you know, when you are on a very relaxed and cozy and giggly, smooth sailing trip.

You won't be actually watching it in order to understand it, like you would watch a regular movie, but more as a background trip screen.

I think Funky Forest would be really fun to watch on acid, if you see the film I'm pretty confident that you might understand what I mean. ;)

It's movie shaped acid! :wacko:

Well, no, I was actually talking about watching it while on acid, :) I'm not saying that you should watch it while tripping balls, I couldn't focus on it even if I wanted to, but when tripping very gently, like on just a half blotter, you know, when you are on a very relaxed and cozy and giggly, smooth sailing trip.

You won't be actually watching it in order to understand it, like you would watch a regular movie, but more as a background trip screen.

I think Funky Forest would be really fun to watch on acid, if you see the film I'm pretty confident that you might understand what I mean. ;)

It's movie shaped acid! :wacko:

hmm I'd be careful about actually watching a movie WHEN tripping, for me in that case stuff made for little kids works best, like the Teletubbies (and generally speaking, stuff that I wouldn't watch for more than 30 seconds when "normal" lol), but to each their own I guess ;)

Don't get me wrong, I ussually don't watch movies while tripping at all, but the times I did were fun, not that you'll understand what's going on, but you analyze everything in such bizarre personal ways, or watching political debates when tripping can be interesting too, you can dismantle everyone's facade so easily, that it starts to look like a bad school play, you can see right through their masks.

Or at least that's what you are convinced of at the time. :)

well it's about something different and made with different techniques indeed but maan, it's WAY off... the mere idea of becoming an ape (not THINKING that you're an ape, actually becoming one), and beyond that, going to the origins of the universe just by tripping is ridiculous. Anywone who's done acid in his life and/or has had regressive experiences will tell you that. It's like Knight Rider: it might seem plausible when you're a kid and don't know jack shit, but once you know how cars/ computers are made you realize it's WAY off.

That's true Lemmi, but Altered States wasn't made to be a realistic movie. Unlike BlueBerry for example which represents ayahuasca trips as they are.

Altered States was intent to be/look surreal as the main theme of the movie is about a guy who tries to find what's beyond the beyond, plus with all the religious questions that Ken Russell puts is his movies.

The trips in Altered States may not be ''realistic'' but they too are work of art, especially if you consider they were made only with photographic techniques.

how can you watch a movie on acid!? such a waste -_-

I have watched many films tripping... usually a moderate dose so I can still follow the story line, more or less, and especially if it is at a theatre so I can deal with all the "normals" easier.

But it is not a waste at all. ( I can always trip at home with just music whenever I want) Especially movies with some psychedelic or highly intense aspect to the story, you can really become far more focused and emotionally involved, and it seems more like an experience you had yourself rather than something you just watched remotely on a screen. And you can also better perceive some of the normally hidden details or implications that the director or writer or visual artists put in that would normally go right past you... while tripping these things for some reason seem to highlight themselves to you.

But mushrooms are far to reality bending, usually not a good idea... LSD in as I said in only moderate doses. Best thing for this I have found is 2C-I... enhances visual and emotional intensity, without all the side-branching thought processes of other substances.

The best is when you can get a ride to an actual theatre with a huge screen and sound system and nice comfy seats you can just sink into... and go at a time when there is likely to be only a few other people in the theatre. Then on a psychedelic a really intense or visual film can be amazing. SIT CLOSE! so that you are totally enveloped in the movie. And you always have the rest of the trip to do other stuff...

That's true Lemmi, but Altered States wasn't made to be a realistic movie. Unlike BlueBerry for example which represents ayahuasca trips as they are.

Altered States was intent to be/look surreal as the main theme of the movie is about a guy who tries to find what's beyond the beyond, plus with all the religious questions that Ken Russell puts is his movies.

The trips in Altered States may not be ''realistic'' but they too are work of art, especially if you consider they were made only with photographic techniques.

You are absolutely correct. I just had on my "Professional Film Reviewers" hat, and was acting like big-ass know-it-all who hates everything.

Actually I love Altered States, you are right about it being a work of Surrealism, not an attempt to communicate realistic trips. More a poetical allegory of tripping, if that is the right expression.

And yes, the trips visualizations really are rather brilliant works of art, made as you point out with only photographic techniques.

But I guess it is too "fringe" to ever be released in Blu-Ray, unfortunately.

meh just watched Blueberry and was a bit dissapointed... you people made it sound like the movie was entirely about ayahuasca experiences when in fact it was just a b-series cowboy movie with 2 ayahuasca scenes. Granted, the scenes were breathtaking but the movie as a whole kindof sucked IMO...

I have watched many films tripping... usually a moderate dose so I can still follow the story line, more or less, and especially if it is at a theatre so I can deal with all the "normals" easier.

But it is not a waste at all. ( I can always trip at home with just music whenever I want) Especially movies with some psychedelic or highly intense aspect to the story, you can really become far more focused and emotionally involved, and it seems more like an experience you had yourself rather than something you just watched remotely on a screen. And you can also better perceive some of the normally hidden details or implications that the director or writer or visual artists put in that would normally go right past you... while tripping these things for some reason seem to highlight themselves to you.

But mushrooms are far to reality bending, usually not a good idea... LSD in as I said in only moderate doses. Best thing for this I have found is 2C-I... enhances visual and emotional intensity, without all the side-branching thought processes of other substances.

The best is when you can get a ride to an actual theatre with a huge screen and sound system and nice comfy seats you can just sink into... and go at a time when there is likely to be only a few other people in the theatre. Then on a psychedelic a really intense or visual film can be amazing. SIT CLOSE! so that you are totally enveloped in the movie. And you always have the rest of the trip to do other stuff...

You wrote it in perfect words, man. I remember a few years ago I took a moderate dose of Cheshire cat while my friend took a moderate dose of Liberty Caps (there was only little of each left in the stash so we decided to eat each our and watch a movie). We sat down to watch Cube 2: Hypercube. As the trip kicked in on us I was drawn more and more into the movie, my focus and attention to details (sound, visual) was amplified. My friend though, he had to wander around to see what was going on around because he was unable to focus on the movie. I've watched many movies on the raise of my trip, don't think it has been a waste at all, reasons is put on letters by Kilgo.. above. Once me and another friend decided though to take a liquid trip (rather generous one ..) on the movie, 'The 10th Kingdom'. The movie lasted for 417 minutes, that’s over 6 hours of exiting fairytale. We had a blast and to date it remains as one of my best trips ever. Not for its spirituality or anything, just for it's great day of extreme entertainment. Best part was when I heard the Infected Mushroom sample from 'Roll Us a Giant' :D

Never did get to watch a movie in the cinema's though .. maybe one day ^^ I think to take something mind bending and watch Speed Racer would kick some ass!!

Though, one time I was alone, didn't have anything to do so I ate some shrooms, didn't feel well so I took the only DVD I could find to try to relax, found 'Rock Star'. Man, that was a major waste of time :lol:, but I had a relaxed feel and would have fun listening to all the sonic background stuff like hearing people on set walk and move'n'stuff :P and after, my trip was better and I did something useful like to draw.

:) I made a good topic some years ago on the OffTopic thread about movies and comments on films one had seen on trips. It had a lot of good replies. Wonder if it is gone or if Mars would be able to find it .. ?

meh just watched Blueberry and was a bit dissapointed... you people made it sound like the movie was entirely about ayahuasca experiences when in fact it was just a b-series cowboy movie with 2 ayahuasca scenes. Granted, the scenes were breathtaking but the movie as a whole kindof sucked IMO...

Well yea, there were some sucky elements to it... some bad acting... some stupid dialogue. Actually there were a couple of other shorter hallucinatory sequences in addition to the main ones, I think... havent seen it for a while... one involving smoking something I think?

I like how it starts with the emblem of the spirit journey - the Eagle - flying right in your face then going on an extended flight over some really trippy & spectacular landscapes.

Did you get.. SPOILER ALERT! ... how the dead girl's spirit makes an appearance and forgives Blueberry? I thought that was quite unexpected and absolutely beautifully handled, didn't you think?

That was really the core of the film... Blueberry has this darkness in him he cannot understand or explain that seems to keep attracting trouble. But his psychedelic experiences finally succeed in unlocking the memories, at which point the above happens, and he is emotionally healed. And at the same time... within that trip somehow his enemy who has vowed to kill him, dies due to whatever happened to him during his trip I guess.

THAT is the arc of the story. And it sure seems to me that such an arc is in fact "about" the power of psychedelics to heal one's mind and spirit (or in the case of the bad guy, give him what he deserves).

But yea, there was also a bunch of B-grade western stuff in it too.

I've sniffed around the blueberry movie for a couple of years. Downloaded it once but since it had no subs I decided to delete it.

After reading a lot of reviews about it being bad on varies levels, I've decided that it should only be watched under the influence.

maybe then it will become good :P fo'real

I've sniffed around the blueberry movie for a couple of years. Downloaded it once but since it had no subs I decided to delete it.

After reading a lot of reviews about it being bad on varies levels, I've decided that it should only be watched under the influence.

Yea, I watched the DVD at home alone, sound on the stereo turned up.... did a good sized dose of 2C-I, and the whole thing really came together for me... I was blown away to tell the truth... I thought the "bad" parts were just deliberately done that way to be funny as a way of the film poking fun at itself for using the tired out old "Western" genre as a framework.

And the trip sequences... OH... MY... GOD... I didn't even know what I was seeing it was so complex. But I could follow the emotional intent of what was happening .I had to watch it again a few days later.

But I certainly felt powerfully impacted after it was over.

Ignore the German guy (Eddie Izzard) or just see the humor in the character - why do you think they chose a comedian? - ancient Ernest Borgnine's hackneyed overacting - again a deliberate and self-ironical "bad" choice. Straight you just find these elements annoying. Tripping you intuitively understand what the film maker is doing... you feel let "IN" on the joke... and you NOTICE all the little signposts saying "ignore all this Western silliness, this film is really about something much deeper", like how it begins with the Eagle symbolism.

The story they are telling is Blueberry's mystery of this horrible dark monster he sees in himself on the first trip, and then his battle with it, through it, to finally see the suppressed truth about what really happened to him those many years ago, which unlocks and releases him, so he is now free of his demon and can be happy at last, all with the aid of the "Treasure" of the Indians, which is not gold (stupid German Banker jerk!) but rather PEYOTE!!!! (although the experiences seem more like what to expect on Ayahuasca).

INCIDENTALLY - Jan Kounen, maker of Blueberry in fact has another film: "Other Worlds" that documents Ayahuasca Shamanism... that is the subject of Other Worlds, which also includes some CGI Trip animations.

Some info about it and images and I think mabe even clips at Kounen's site:

http://jankounen.com

Apparently the movie DVD it is hard to find find, you can order from overseas places, it has english subtitles, there is some information here:

http://ayahuasca.tribe.net/thread/8965e39d...49-37166584c265

about where you might find it. BONUS: in the middle of the above link there is a LONG writeup from Kounen himself about his experiences with shamen in peru researching for Blueberry, as well as thoughts on the nature of the mind, etc. Pretty interesting.

oh you can find all the subs you want on http://www.opensubtitles.org, just make sure you chose the right version (1cd, 2cd, etc...) :) Indeed without any subs this is impossible to watch since there are many scenes spoken in indian (hopi?).

Yea, I watched the DVD at home alone, sound on the stereo turned up.... did a good sized dose of 2C-I, and the whole thing really came together for me... I was blown away to tell the truth... I thought the "bad" parts were just deliberately done that way to be funny as a way of the film poking fun at itself for using the tired out old "Western" genre as a framework.

And the trip sequences... OH... MY... GOD... I didn't even know what I was seeing it was so complex. But I could follow the emotional intent of what was happening .I had to watch it again a few days later.

But I certainly felt powerfully impacted after it was over.

Ignore the German guy (Eddie Izzard) or just see the humor in the character - why do you think they chose a comedian? - ancient Ernest Borgnine's hackneyed overacting - again a deliberate and self-ironical "bad" choice. Straight you just find these elements annoying. Tripping you intuitively understand what the film maker is doing... you feel let "IN" on the joke... and you NOTICE all the little signposts saying "ignore all this Western silliness, this film is really about something much deeper", like how it begins with the Eagle symbolism.

The story they are telling is Blueberry's mystery of this horrible dark monster he sees in himself on the first trip, and then his battle with it, through it, to finally see the suppressed truth about what really happened to him those many years ago, which unlocks and releases him, so he is now free of his demon and can be happy at last, all with the aid of the "Treasure" of the Indians, which is not gold (stupid German Banker jerk!) but rather PEYOTE!!!! (although the experiences seem more like what to expect on Ayahuasca).

INCIDENTALLY - Jan Kounen, maker of Blueberry in fact has another film: "Other Worlds" that documents Ayahuasca Shamanism... that is the subject of Other Worlds, which also includes some CGI Trip animations.

Some info about it and images and I think mabe even clips at Kounen's site:

http://jankounen.com

Apparently the movie DVD it is hard to find find, you can order from overseas places, it has english subtitles, there is some information here:

http://ayahuasca.tribe.net/thread/8965e39d...49-37166584c265

about where you might find it. BONUS: in the middle of the above link there is a LONG writeup from Kounen himself about his experiences with shamen in peru researching for Blueberry, as well as thoughts on the nature of the mind, etc. Pretty interesting.

well you see, normally whenever someone tells me that he saw a movie/ listened to a track under the influence I usually run away as fast as I can in the other direction... because ANYTHING you'll see/hear when under the influence will seem to hide some truth that you can only reveal when high. Even Sponge Bob. But anyway...

Well yea, there were some sucky elements to it... some bad acting... some stupid dialogue. Actually there were a couple of other shorter hallucinatory sequences in addition to the main ones, I think... havent seen it for a while... one involving smoking something I think?

I like how it starts with the emblem of the spirit journey - the Eagle - flying right in your face then going on an extended flight over some really trippy & spectacular landscapes.

Did you get.. SPOILER ALERT! ... how the dead girl's spirit makes an appearance and forgives Blueberry? I thought that was quite unexpected and absolutely beautifully handled, didn't you think?

That was really the core of the film... Blueberry has this darkness in him he cannot understand or explain that seems to keep attracting trouble. But his psychedelic experiences finally succeed in unlocking the memories, at which point the above happens, and he is emotionally healed. And at the same time... within that trip somehow his enemy who has vowed to kill him, dies due to whatever happened to him during his trip I guess.

THAT is the arc of the story. And it sure seems to me that such an arc is in fact "about" the power of psychedelics to heal one's mind and spirit (or in the case of the bad guy, give him what he deserves).

But yea, there was also a bunch of B-grade western stuff in it too.

hum well I didn't see the other guy as dead, I thought that he was just lying on the ground because he was tripping some more. I also figured out that we just THOUGHT he was the bad guy but in reality he was anything but bad (he never killed anyone, not even animals or insects, he always was looking for the mountain for the spiritual journey and not for the gold, etc.). The true "bad guy" was the main carachter, at least that's how I saw it.