Real psychedelic movies

2kijad

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I add 2001-A Space Odyssey?

watched it on liberty caps and it was boring, long and had the most intense spaced out ending ever! Though, my friend had one of his strongest nights, never was the same after

• 5 weeks later...

Hellraiser I

and II and IV

no.

I downloaded the whole lot (eight movies). I loved the first one, the second was ok the third was like the 90's with action instead of horror. Then the 4th had a cool sci-fi theme going on. The 5 and 6 lost it on the bad TV crime thing. The 7th tried to be interesting with a new plot but was bad. Now, tonight I will see the last one, number 8. It says, Hellraiser Goes online .. :lol:

a lot of crap suggestions in this thread :ph34r:

what's the name of the movie where a dude freaks out on an high dose of LSD(1000+ mcg)?

Theres something with a plane aswell, and he's getting insane running around in the city. :huh:

probably not what you were looking for but the scene is hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the Mouth of Madness

Barton Fink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGkVBg6k9Rk

Mulholland Drive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pdd9VBSoag

A Scanner Darkly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmGH61OoNI

The Cell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maqzWroZWII

things also nice to watch on trip

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Joe's Apartment

The Feebles

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it really counts or not but...

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey last week. The only trippy part was when the guy goes into the wormhole. I was laying in my bed when watching it and I kinda fell asleep through a good portion of it and I woke up just as he was entering the wormhole... man, that was really confusing.

Check out Solyaris, I think you'r gonna like it

I saw that a couple of times... both of them fell asleep for a little, it was 2pm in the afternoon...

it's not boring but it has slow moments... masterpiece nevertheless.

-

Here's my addition to the pot:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976060/ > Tokyo

Three short films by Michel Gondry, Leos Carax and Joon-ho Bong. I found the last one to be most intriguing and well directed to my taste. Either way, there's really interesting proposals there and a lot eye candy for film buffs... psychedelic like kafka psycedelic, if that makes sense.

There are few Ayahuasca trips in Blueberry with Vincent Cassel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276830/

This film is called "Renegade" in the US.

It contains like 4 psychedelic trips, each more incredible than the last. The most complex, and more importantly, most realistic and most deeply felt depiction of strong psychedelic experiences EVER put to film, bar none.

This one just blows every other attempt out of the water. Makes "Altered States" look silly, ridiculous, amateurish, and pompous.

The director vanished into the jungles of South America for a YEAR before making this, much to the worry of his colleagues. While there he lived with the descendants of tribal shamen and they took him on many very deep psychedelic & spiritual voyages.

The result is Blueberry/Renegade.

DO NOT SPOIL THE FILM AND WATCH ANY OF THE TRIP SEQUENCES YOU CAN FIND ON THE NET!!! Visual quality is of course really lousy, but worse, you will RUIN the overwhelmingly powerful impact these sequences have on the viewer when seen in context of the film... they are each very much a part of the story, and the whole thing leads to a mind-blowing cosmic catharsis that must be seen to be believed.

Buy the DVD, consume the entheogen of your choice, when it starts to take effect, put this film on the wide-screen, crank up the surround sound, dim the lights, and prepare be to emerge a changed person... seriously! I could not stop thinking about this film for days after I first saw it. And I was SOOO glad I deliberately avoided spoiling it by looking at crappy little web videos of the trips beforehand. Seeing these incredible visions in context as very carefully designed by the filmmakers for the first time my eyes were wide with amazement and my jaw was on the floor... I think a few times I even heard myself say out loud quite unintentionally "Oh my fucking god!"

Makes "Altered States" look silly, ridiculous, amateurish, and pompous.

lol you don't need to watch any other movie to know that Altered States is silly, ridiculous, amateurish, and pompous ;)

PS imdb's description: "In the 1870's, U.S Marshal Mike S. Blueberry tries to stop Wally Blount, the man who killed his girlfriend, from getting to a stockpile of gold hidden in Indian territory. On his way, he meets Prosit, a German villain on a persistent mission to find gold in the Superstition Mountains."... err, you sure this is about ayahuasca?? :huh:

lol you don't need to watch any other movie to know that Altered States is silly, ridiculous, amateurish, and pompous ;)

PS imdb's description: "In the 1870's, U.S Marshal Mike S. Blueberry tries to stop Wally Blount, the man who killed his girlfriend, from getting to a stockpile of gold hidden in Indian territory. On his way, he meets Prosit, a German villain on a persistent mission to find gold in the Superstition Mountains."... err, you sure this is about ayahuasca?? :huh:

HA!! Yes indeed, that's the one. It's so funny because I can imagine your average Western fan buying or renting this, based on the description and the cover which is also very traditional-looking... NOTHING whatsoever about drugs hehe - only to be thrust into these experiences, that to some really straight "dude" who never did anything like that would probably be quite shocking and frightening... the realization that their comfortable little workaday mindset is soooo miniscule, and that the human mind is even capable these astonishing overlapping cosmic vistas of awareness, would probably leave some people not expecting it with puddles of sweat in their cowboy boots by the time the film is over.

Oh, a couple bonuses - Sheriff played by Ernest Borgnine ("OMG! is that really...???" lol), as well as Prosit being played by Eddie Izzard, one of my very favorite wierdo comedians who I have seen on TV do some utterly genius standup sets.

Altered States is a classic. It's a completely different movie than BlueBerry.

It's about different things, made with different techniques (without any CGI) and iconoclastic, not silly.

BTW BlueBerry MUST be released on Blu-Ray.

It's a crime against humanity if it doesn't.

The main 10 minutes trip is beyond belief.

It's too bad also that this movie never got the recognition it deserves, something I guess was because of its weird theme.

Also the CGI of this movie should at least were Oscar nominated.

Altered States is a classic. It's a completely different movie than BlueBerry.

It's about different things, made with different techniques (without any CGI) and iconoclastic, not silly.

Actually I also really enjoy Altered States quite alot, and you are totally correct it is about different things. It's a whole other style of directing/storytelling also. Its more like a cartoon than something about any true experiences that any real person ever had or could have. And I do like cartoons, so cool.

The trip sequences are nothing whatsoever like any trips I or anyone else I know have had... there are some common elements, but in general, these are all hyper-gonzo exaggerations of the writer's IDEA of what a trip is, not an attempt at a realistic depiction.

That said, they are often cool and fun and beautiful to watch and very well executed, and at times very spooky and powerful. But they are nothing at all like real trips, for the most part.

But it IS also pretty silly in some ways, not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, come on, a guy goes into an isolation tank on a drug, and the power of his mind warps the tank? he jumps out an ape? he turns into a cosmic vortex in the floor of the room? Yea someone could hypothetically hallucinate that sort of thing, but really... NAH... pure make-believe by the writer, these are just not the sort of things that 99.9% of people doing hallucinogens ever experience.

And at a conceptual level I disliked the whole idea of taking what would normally be just hallucinations and having them extend out of the guys mind and affect the real world around him. Yea, sounds like a cool comic book sort of story idea, but tripping is really about inner stream-of-consciousness, worldview perspective things... so NOT about just seeing weird shit happen.

Also, the execution left me as an experienced voyager pretty cold. I had a hard time becoming emotionally involved in those parts because I knew that's nothing like what really happens inside your mind on real trips... it is the hypothetical IDEA of some director who never had the guts to do more than smoke a little weed fantasized up as a special-effects showcase to put in a film, and as a viewer that just put me at a huge distance from any sort of engagement with the characters or what was happening to them. Like watching a film of a puppet show on a TV through a department store glass window. Hmmm.. Curious. Well that's bizarre... OK time to move on, no reason to keep looking, doesn't mean much, couldn't care less.

And also, I worry about people who are genuinely interested in psychedelics and contemplating trying them being sold such a misleading pile of images and ideas by a film that would SEEM to telling them "Hey kids, this is what tripping is like." WRONG! Utter complete bullshit from that perspective.

Whereas the psychedelic sequences in Renegade/Blueberry are clearly designed by some skilled artists who very obviously have done alot of these drugs themselves and put much deep and careful thought what the visuals ought to look like, with the lofty motive of expressing something on film that would give viewers SOME multifaceted sense or feel of what it is ACTUALLY LIKE- both the SEEING and the FEELING - to take these substances. Of course there is also a good helping of hyperbole here as well, to spice things up, but by and large a much more true to life depiction of something pretty close to what one could expect to experience in their mind on very large doses of Ayahuasca, Mescaline, and/or DMT.

Hence, Renegade to me is *THE* "Real psychedelic movie," best ever made by far, while Altered States just does not make the grade, though still alot of fun and well worth watching... some really wonderful psychobabble... and outstanding/hilarious/wonderful mad-scientist portayal by a very entertainingly over-the-top William Hurt... as long as you understand what you are getting.

BTW BlueBerry MUST be released on Blu-Ray.

It's a crime against humanity if it doesn't.

The main 10 minutes trip is beyond belief.

It's too bad also that this movie never got the recognition it deserves, something I guess was because of its weird theme.

Also the CGI of this movie should at least were Oscar nominated.

Closest thing I could find was in the shop at Jan Kounen's own website (jankounen.com CHECK IT OUT! LOTS OF COOL STUFF!)... a pointer to a 2-disc collectors edition apparently only sold by the French Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...iteofficielj-21

but it is not Blueray or HD.

And unfortunately Altered States is also NOT available Blueray... that would be really nice... some of the trips DO have a phenomenal and hypnotic level of visual detail... like the "Turning Into Sand And Being Blown Away" sequence.... whoa! Bet that would look just stunning on a 60" HD screen in your living room!