Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: People walk funny

Label: Cronomi Records

Catalog #: CRONOMI002CD

Format: CD, Compilation

Release Date: March 27th 2009

Tracklist:

01. O.O.O.D.- Freon (First Time Lucky '98 Mix) (08:27)

02. New Born- Purity (07:52)

03. K.O.B.- Go Cyborg! (08:06)

04. Jikkenteki- Automagic (Subra Remix) (07:53)

05. PortaMento- Sugar Shock (07:37)

06. Liquid Flow- Synergy (08:12)

07. Artifact303- Levitation Device (09:26)

08. Amanians- Fireworks (06:45)

09. Artha- Sannjasin (10:04)

10. Unknown Artist- Untitled (00:28)

After leaving a somewhat mixed impression with their (admittedly) versatile debut release, the crew at Cronomi Records brings more of that countercurrent, off beat psychedelic madness to the table. Even before I popped the music in, I already had the feeling of being trated to something out of the ordinary. The whole cover art is prepossessing, with a picture that seems hand painted, and just so freestyle! Just check the CD's logo side:

Posted Image

As for the music, O.O.O.D. have the honor of opening up, with a number that was apparently written back in 1998. It starts pretty calmly with awesome violin chords getting thrown in the mix seconds before the four minute mark. It's a psychedelic number throughout, with scarse melody work, but awesome details propeling to the foreground.

New Born, the man who made one too many eyebrows raise with his epic The Observer track two years ago, brings a more full frontal mad attack, with constantly shifting and morphing leads deposited over a commanding bass line. More dance friendly and wild than anything he's released thus far. Remarkable work!

K.O.B., better known as the melody wizard Filteria, absolutely shimmers with an acid soaked tune, which shows the flips side to Jannis Tzakis' coin; rollicking, dense and detailed with an unforgettable "Go cyborg!" sample, sirens and oodles of O's, as De La Soul would have put it, all guiding to an absolutely mental climax. Outstanding music, makes me really eager to finally get a proper, full length K.O.B. album!

Jikkenteki, the producer who has caught quite a lot of attention all over internet forums, but somehow has never managed to pour all that consideration into album sales, is up with Automagic, remixed by Subra (AKA Michael Anenburg, the man who runs Cronomi). Basically, this track diverges from your modern psy trance as much as you could possibly want it to, with disfigured melodies and acid synths set free all over. The FX are mainly so distorted and crazy, gracing the music with a really demented sound, as though it just emerged from a goblin workshop!

The next two number are the uplifting party bangers: PortaMento makes his debut with Sugar Shock, while the fellow zagabrian Liquid Flow brings the intense Synergy. Both of these tunes would have fit nicely on those compilations released on Metapsychic Records, before they went under. Both tracks have captivating leads, accompanied by outbursts of percussive energy and highly pitched 303s. They all revolve around fairly simple arrangements which serve as take off points for climaxes to erupt. I have this feeling of Synergy being missplaced. It's just way too, well trancey, and uplifting, as in the cheese infested uplifting kind of a way. Not bad by any means, it just swerves too much when compared to other tunes here. Hell, if that melody introduced around the three minutes mark isn't jacked off former greek psy heroes Cyan, then I don't know what is... It's more suitable for a release on the Phototropic imprint, they seem more fond of this 'cheerleader-goa-trance' sound. You know, merry and jolly melodies scream over Holy Menesque drum kicks. Yay.

Artifact303 brings what is, in my opinion, his best effort to date, Levitation Device, with an absolutley astounding segment kicking in at 02:38, that'll instantly propel you into a galaxy of interweaving melodies, fused together with harmonically floating acid. Another super strong, dark lead kicks in at 04:24, with the sample "device" getting faded into the background. The track then keeps emphasizing its malignant touch, up untile the 06:30 mark, when suddenly it takes a turn for the light hearted option, kicking off with a really mind opening melody slightly before the eight minute mark. A good combination of light and dark in one track, although I would have prefered if Zsolt kept it on the vile side as heard during the track's first half.

Amanians are next up to bat with a ferocious acid number, that'll burn your CD player. Mad and furious acid synths uncontrollably flinging all over. There's no real structure, build up or climax here, it's a full on, remorseless assault of hard hitting drum kicks operated at high velocity combined with the most intense manipulation of 303s you've heard in the goa trance genre since Cosmosis' heyday and O.O.O.D.'s ancient classic Rifa.

Artha takes the responsibility of churning out the last track, and quite possibly steals the entire show. Apart from being the guy whoose debut album release is the most anticipated event in the psy scene since the ressurection of the Crop Circles "Tetrahedron", Michal Baczek is a damn talented artist. He made a track loaded with, well, just about anything you'd want to hear. It's an immense trip, with layers getting patiently added to keep things interesting throughout, but he never overloads the track, leaving it with enough space to breathe with full lungs and enabling the listener to always know where to shift focus. The final climax, albeit short, is simply great. Artha truely makes modern psy trance, which is so detailed, but never sounds like it's trying to hard to come across as shantier than thou. A promising act, and I can barely wait to get more from this guy.

The last track is a 28 second interlude consisting of some full-onish percussion and a melody that sounds as though it was snatched from an old Tetris game for Nintendo. Cool, but pointless, and way too short and underdeveloped to prove a point, if there was supposed to be one.

Overall, V/A People walk funny covers a whole lot of territory while successfully keeping it all under one roof. You get everything from goa trance saturated with nasty acid, psychedelic and challenging psy, through to stomping and euphoric party material. I don't dare cast the maximum vote, yet that is, but my opinion is that half of this release is absolutely gorgeous, to say the least. There is so much great and highly entertaining music here that I can hardly imagine why anybody would chose not to purchase this. You though there was no more 'psy' in psychedelic trance? Wrong. You thought modern goa trance sounded cliched? Wrong again. Then why not give this one a chance and get exposed to avalanches of extremely energetic and fierce goa/psy trance anno 2009. Job extremely well done, outstanding work to all involved! My favorite uptempo psy trance orientated release so far this year.

Samples / Orders

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7839

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/crm/crm1cd002.html

Thanks for the review :)

It was fun reading it.

First of all, about the cover it is indeed hand drawn by a talented guy (and some help from mars in the post-processing) which I hope will also do the Artha cover. Speaking of, we are working on getting Artha album out as well, mostly filtering tracks to keep only the best in (and it's a hard job).

About the last track, it's a habit of me to put a pointless "bonus" track in the end. It really amuses me (and I hope other people as well) :D.

A really great compilation. Thanks to Mike A for gathering this exciting music.

Favourite tracks: New Born - Purity (for its purity ;) ), Liquid Flow - Synergy (for absolutely amazing melody) and Artifact303 - Levitation Device (for giving us another shining piece of goa-trance).

• 1 month later...

OOOD and Liquid Flow tracks are something I can live without. Other than that, this compilation is killer. Especially New Born, Artifact303 and Artha. Thumbs up!

I agree with straydog about OOOD. It just comes as insanely repetitious to me and not even the slightest bit of exciting.

This compilation has a few extremely good tracks which I do think are worth the purchase alone. Those being

New Born who graces this compilation with a wonderful track called Purity, which ironically enough does feel pure for whatever reasons lol. The high pitched soft sounds, melodies and the soft thick bassline are just so good on the ears. Fresh track.

Artifact303 - Levitation Device which is without a doubt the best track Artifact303 has made to this day(Yes, trumping Feelings from Opus Iridium). It's banging full-on(Not the psy full-on) goatrance with a wonderful alien atmosphere. And I can't get enough of the melody work at 4:43. It definitely takes us back to the Pleiades, I'm not kidding. it's so spiritual, alien and epic. I hope to hear more of this whenever Artifact303's album gets made.

and Amanians - Fireworks. A wonderful dark goa track made of acid power. Awesome.

Jikkenteki's and Subra's collaboration is also something one should hear. It's like the perfect mix of 2 artists in my opinion. Very psychedelic piece of music.

The rest of the tracks are great as well, no complaints. Although, the odd one's are OOOD's track, which I didn't like very much at all and Artha's Sannjasin which I'm not sure whether it's just ok, good or great..

I agree with straydog about OOOD. It just comes as insanely repetitious to me and not even the slightest bit of exciting.

This compilation has a few extremely good tracks which I do think are worth the purchase alone. Those being

New Born who graces this compilation with a wonderful track called Purity, which ironically enough does feel pure for whatever reasons lol. The high pitched soft sounds, melodies and the soft thick bassline are just so good on the ears. Fresh track.

Artifact303 - Levitation Device which is without a doubt the best track Artifact303 has made to this day(Yes, trumping Feelings from Opus Iridium). It's banging full-on(Not the psy full-on) goatrance with a wonderful alien atmosphere. And I can't get enough of the melody work at 4:43. It definitely takes us back to the Pleiades, I'm not kidding. it's so spiritual, alien and epic. I hope to hear more of this whenever Artifact303's album gets made.

and Amanians - Fireworks. A wonderful dark goa track made of acid power. Awesome.

Jikkenteki's and Subra's collaboration is also something one should hear. It's like the perfect mix of 2 artists in my opinion. Very psychedelic piece of music.

The rest of the tracks are great as well, no complaints. Although, the odd one's are OOOD's track, which I didn't like very much at all and Artha's Sannjasin which I'm not sure whether it's just ok, good or great..

+1 in everything you said.

Portamento is great as well.

Funny cover.

Something makes me not want to listen to this CD. Strange because it sure has a ok line-up...

The OOOD track is well-produced. I think OOOD puts alot of effort on technique - it´s the same on like 70% of their album-tracks, but not enough on the feeling. Gets repetitve.

Looked forward to K.O.B but this just don´t do it for me. Aggressive, but it´s (synesthetically speaking :) ) as grey as the first one on this album.

The Portamento track is great. Monster-Virus synths all the way through. Really like it!

I will listen to it some more and see if my opinion about the album changes...

Ok, don´t mind my last sentence there.

Have listened through it once again and some tracks are really great here.

Jikkenteki - Automagic (Subra remix) - Love the bass and kick! A little too much twisted for my taste. Good track though!

Liquid flow - Synergy - Great flow, great bass, good disposition, Like it!

Artifact 303 - Levitation device - Energy deluxe as always with Artifact 303. Very hypnotizing, though there´s something I don´t like in this track that I can´t point my finger on, maybe it´s the plastic feeling...

New born - Purity -

Amanians - Fireworks -

Artha - Sannjasin -

Three pretty good Goatracks.

Oh, and the hidden track actually IS funny in contrast to the last compilation "freshly cut tomato". (I don´t know if that was the intention then though.)

Now i´m gonna listen to Sugar shock on repeat! :posford:

HA HA! Great cover Mike & Cronomi team.

Once again , Cronomi brings out the best of the "out-of-the-league" Goa/Psy-Trance !

PS. the Cd cover is really good and indeed , this will put the people walking up funny with this CD. :)

And always appearing up with a "secret" crazy outro to caught up people! Like a bit of Kinder Surprise He He!

Keep up the good work Cronomi.

Best wishes ,

Filipe

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent stuff from cronomi records, its good to know more labels are coming up with high quality goa trance other than

Suntrip records. Loved almost every track on this album very impressed by Amanians Fireworks absolutely killlla track loved artifact 303's track too , this track is much better than all his tracks on ORGANIC VISIONs vol 1, liquid flow with his uplifting melody is also right up there with New born. 4/5 .

Keep up the good work Cronomi . :wub: :posford: :drama:

V/A - People Walk Funny

Cronomi Records

Posted Image

01. O.O.O.D.- Freon (First Time Lucky '98 Mix) ... 08:27

02. New Born - Purity ... 07:52

03. K.O.B. - Go Cyborg! ... 08:06

04. Jikkenteki - Automagic (Subra Remix) ... 07:53

05. PortaMento - Sugar Shock ... 07:37

06. Liquid Flow - Synergy ... 08:12

07. Artifact303 - Levitation Device ... 09:26

08. Amanians - Fireworks ... 06:45

09. Artha - Sannjasin ... 10:04

10. Unknown Artist - Untitled ... 00:28

V/A - People Walk Funny is a growingly popular 2009 Psy/Goa-Trance compilation by Cronomi Records who better watch out. They're not allowed to lose their sword after sharpening it with this release.

1. O.O.O.D.- Freon (First Time Lucky '98 Mix) starts interesting, sounds more like an intro track (as is here) to an album then a dance song. Granted they were making something less energetic (I presume they knew they were doing the intro). Nonetheless, the song is fairly good; I find it the least strong here. Not because it isn't high octane. It's not bad though. I occasionally skip it to hear the uptempo numbers. Moreover, the song has a repetition that grows tired for me at times; other times though the song sounds just right, though simple, moreso during the first half, before various ideas recycle. Musically the track has some good elements. B-

2. New Born - Purity is the first energy pill on the album. A good melody lead compliments its Goa/Psy work. A harmonic melody begins around 1:00 and skips around the beat until a short interlude which softens the tune to compensate for a clear and present backdrop. The tune is reprised around 2:08, an effective little lead around carefully articulated atmosphere, backdrops. Into the second and third minute, the song builds well around its star lead. The song becomes more psychedelic into its second act; I'm simply less enamored here, sound wise. The second interlude around 5:10 is curious; the main tune is lost as little sounds release into the background, but not much occurs ahead of this that's new or gripping. This is a pretty good track. B

3. K.O.B. - Go Cyborg! is Jannis of Filteria doing a completely new and novel sound and style/artist, as this debut to-my-knowledge track by the anticipated K.O.B. It's a great, playful, and energetic/catchy track and if he can make more on this level, the artist should make more tracks. Great work. For me this is the first great track on the album. B+

4. Jikkenteki - Automagic (Subra Remix) offeres another high octane blast, this one more intricate thanks to Jikkenteki's wild, elaborate, technological, tasty style. To be honest, I find it a bit too machinic for my tastes, though it's still very good and/or great. Unfortunately, there's a metallic tune/sound that hurts my ears, from around 0:40 to 3:46 or 3:52.. it fades and basically ends around 4:53. It just really bothers my ears for some reason, and I with the artist used a less piercing melody because I generally love his psychedelic style. That said, the section from 4:55 forward is the infectious story-telling that's a dream come true from this artist. Furthermore, the evolution, the final act (third) is excellent. Overall, this is a strong track with moments of greatness. B+

5. PortaMento - Sugar Shock is another solid track with gritty sounds around the beat. For some reason I find the thick, gritty textures a little sharp a la the previous track, but maybe that's just me. I like how the energy increases, develops into the final third. Layers pull back from the mid-third minute until 4:38 where the tone shifts, creating a contemplative mid space. Build up elevates the interlude until the general music returns around 5:30. The Goa melody that enters around 6:24 is good. The song's quite psychedelic and offers a tasty metallic sound a la Toi Doi - Technologic (album) that compliments the track. Good/great track. B+

6. Liquid Flow - Synergy is more to my liking than the previous two tracks that were also strong. I love the melody/sound work here, how it takes off. The song flows. More gentle sounds surround the driving rhythm beat. It's all very delectable and high speed while incorporating more elegant sounds. B+ / A-

7. Artifact303 - Levitation Device is excellent. This is a super song with three super acts. At the lowest I would give this a 9/10, and that's the lowest. This is a clobber popper, a super dance song with no silly voice samples to age it via 2009. The only reason why I wouldn't give it a solid A is because I find certain parts excellent, not superb, but that's subjective. This song is awesome; each act is gripping, infectious, with an ending that is wonderful, beautiful, delicious! Thank you Artifact for producing another gem in the Psy/Goa genre. This is one of their best tracks, period. Keeping it up. A-

8. Amanians - Fireworks is a ballsy, angry, and daring stress creator, or stress reliever depending on one's perception. It's a pocket of aggressive energy and fire, possibly darkness perceived. To those who thought edgy/dark Goa ended with Tandu, Menis, and very few others, your wrong. This is an acid temper on adrenaline, a non-stop driver that could be in a new Resident Evil game during one of its most climactic moments. While Goa/Psytrance songs are seldom this intense and an entire album in this style would be too much IMO, having a track like this here is sweet. It is one-dimensional for the most part, but builds, an interlude compliments its changing anarchy, decent into chaos but in this case. The song is uncompromising and hellbent, effective in that sense. I have heard this interesting, dark/driving Goa concept done before by Tandu (for example) with more infectious sounds, a more dynamic structure utilized and created respectively, hence my grade. Nonetheless, strong work. B+

9. Artha - Sannjasin is another hard edged psychedelic Goa number. Again it has certain synth work and/or sounds that I find sharper than preferred by me. But some will love these harder edged sounds. Great track. B+

10. Unknown Artist - Untitled (00:28) is a little moment that sounds completely pointless here, like a song just beginning that suddenly ends abrupt. It's presence; I don't know. Doesn't seem to belong here. I won't even bother scoring it.

In conclusion, People Walk Funny is great, and the best uptempo compilation I bought thus far in 2009. I agree with Rino to some degree. Goa/Psy compilation aren't usually this consistently aggressive, mischievous (at times). The energy on the compilation has been overlooked to some degree in place of the more maximal, sunrise, and general Indian and/or Eastern Goa sound over the years. While I'm not a fan of the slower opening track, it isn't bad. I like O.O.O.D., but I don't care for the opening. The comp gets good/great (occasionally dark, edgy, fierce) after that however, offering some of the best Goa/Psy-Trance songs of the year and in new school Goa/Psy-Trance. This will win many plays in your disc or iTunes. It's one of the best new school comps along with Apsara, Opus Iridium, and very few others. There are some feelings around the intensity, such as on Artifact's excellent third act, as well as Artha's Sannjasin; great stuff. This is generally not a compilation for those into sweet and/or sunrise melodies; it's more nighttime driving, at times intense, dark and/or edgy, and PSYCHEDELIC. I recommend it.

Favorite tracks - 3, 6, 7, 8, 9.

B+

Samples / Orders

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7839

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/crm/crm1cd002.html

love all tracks!!!!

OOOD too, because it's very lineair and extremally trippy sound!

love the mastering, finally an new skool cd that carries a real old skool sound, not to cristal clear of sound, and all tracks have space to breath out their own original sound (imo) ;)

• 9 months later...

Listening to this again. Very good release!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A3z12Iw.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: People Walk Funny

Label: Cronomi Records

Date: March, 2009

01. O.O.O.D.- Freon (First Time Lucky '98 Mix) ... 08:27
02. New Born - Purity ... 07:52
03. K.O.B. - Go Cyborg! ... 08:06
04. Jikkenteki - Automagic (Subra Remix) ... 07:53
05. PortaMento - Sugar Shock ... 07:37
06. Liquid Flow - Synergy ... 08:12
07. Artifact303 - Levitation Device ... 09:26
08. Amanians - Fireworks ... 06:45
09. Artha - Sannjasin ... 10:04
10. Unknown Artist - Untitled ... 00:28

People walk funny.

nt94loE.gif

Clearly we've entered a new age of stripping where games will have to be raised.

So yes they do. But most of the time you have to crawl before you can walk and that is what this label did. Before they gave you M-Run and Portamento, they gave you sliced produce and this. The second release from Cronomi Records saw them finding their way. Building on the diversity of Freshly Cut Tomato they refined their sound and came up with some blistering tracks.

Go Cyborg had some good pace to it and I think it is my favorite K.O.B. track. The two shining stars are Sugar Shock by Portamento and Levitation Device by Artifact303. Melodic and powerful they explore a deep style. The Amanians track was also an unexpected high paced thrill ride.

What I don't understand is why the label put that small blurb at the end. It serves no purpose but to annoy. Same thing on the Tomato album. Good compilation that was a step up from their debut and the qulity continued to improve with each release. Way to go Cronomi!

Goastore

Beatspace

Psyshop

Discogs

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

I have grown to love the OOOD track. The violins and dark tone make it.. interesting to say the least. And I really love the progression of it. First times I just found it boring but something finally clicked and I saw beneath the surface.