abasio

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Tribal Matrix 2

Label: Dakini Records

Released: 1st March 2009

Tracklist

1. Makyo – Malfouf (3:43)

2. Omar Faruk Tekbilek – Toros (Kaya Project Remix) (5:54)

3. Jef Stott – Junjara (5:45)

4. Drumspyder – Dunanwi (5:06)

5. Omar Faruk Tekbilek – Dulger (Greg Hunter Remix) (5:46)

6. Rain In Eden – Rumi (5:06)

7. Taichi Masuda – Butcha Bassment (4:33)

8. Taal Fiza – Infospehere (3:38)

9. Makyo – Parandeh (5:25)

10. Drumspyder – Kalypso (4:16)

11. Rain In Eden – Haqiqa (6:24)

12. Dubsahara – Zentropy (7:11)

13. Adham Shaikh – Kundalini Fuel (13:29)

Tribal Matrix 2 is basically Dakini doing what Dakini do best, 13 delicious tracks that sound naturally ethnic not forced or sample ridden like a lot of Psychill has become. Bouncing back after what I thought was quite a disappointing album in Lumin – Ketri, Tribal Matrix 2 is better than the first Tribal Matrix and on par with the great Nada Masala compilations. Yes the Sky Dancers are back on form, listening to this compilation is like being transported to exotic lands, being amused in lavish palaces full of gold and people dressed in colourful attire made for entertainment. In many of the tracks I can picture the two ladies on the front cover dancing in the centre of the room and a host of people eating, drinking, mingling and being merry. In others I can picture myself outside in a hot country but away from the city so the heat is comfortable rather than stifling, sitting next to a lake on the seashore dancing under the stars with your best friends that you have just met & will never see again. The whole compilation just feels free, imagine the feeling you get when you have just finished school, you don’t plan to get a job for another year & you have saved enough money to just go travelling round the world. You visit wonderful places with no pressure to move on quickly but just to enjoy yourself. It’s a wonderful feeling & one I am glad to get back just by putting on a CD.

Makyo provides 2 tracks for this compilation and you know with Makyo you are going to get some high quality vibes but even I was surprised by how good these tracks are Malouf is a wonderful mood setter at the beginning of the album while Parandeh is an extremely trippy track with a lot of layers and instruments, short vocals that come in sharply & fade out ethereally.

Jef Stott gives us an absolutely amazing track with Junjura. The rhythms, melodies and the multitude of acoustic instruments (the lute is particularly nice) blend wonderfully into a very energetic, feel good chillout tune.

Drumspyder also has two tracks on this compilation with strong beats and more of an electronic sound but they still keep the lovely natural flavour of the rest of the album. These tracks have really got me anticipating a Drumpsyder album.

Rain In Eden – Rumi is a nice 5 minute track that starts of pretty chilled but builds in intensity throughout until it feels like a large group of musicians jamming in harmony under a clear starry night. Haqiqa feels like a very welcome encore.

Finishing with an Adham Shaikh track with additional help from Ishq should be mandatory for the rest of the series (please let there be more) as it is such a beautiful soft comedown with lush beats, melodies and an atmosphere that soothes my mind. Brilliant stuff.

Recommendation: For Dakini fans and anyone who is a fan of ethnic music this is a must have. People who used to like ethnic psychill but who got bored with everything sounding the same or just sounding fake and plastic could really have their love of the ethnic music return by listening to this wonderful, natural music from ‘She who traverses the sky’

Favourites: 1,3,4,6,9,10,11,13

Originally Published on http://www.isratrance.com

Finishing with an Adham Shaikh track with additional help from Ishq should be mandatory for the rest of the series (please let there be more) as it is such a beautiful soft comedown with lush beats, melodies and an atmosphere that soothes my mind. Brilliant stuff.

How did you find out Ishq helped out on this track? It's my favorite track on the album. Just curious.

How did you find out Ishq helped out on this track? It's my favorite track on the album. Just curious.

It's on the inside sleeve notes :ph34r:

Just my opinion... I see a lot of people love this label... but I think it's a pretty lame and excuse for tribal music.

Anyways, what this actually makes me feel like, as opposed to being in a jungle celebrating that the hunters caught 2 boars today or something, is that I'm sitting around a fire with a crowd of white and hispanic trash in a trailer park somewhere in the the southern US or mexico. They are collectively banging out some easily forgettable and rather annoying music on half-broken instruments that they salvaged from the dump and improvising with random scrap objects. Furthermore, in my mind those hot belly dancers on the cover cannot help but turn into dirty ugly street prostitutes dancing around the fire and giving blowjobs to their random trailer trash boyfriends between tracks.

Yea... I know it's not a very pleasant image but I just typed this up while listening to the album. This thing is far from the spiritual experience that I thought it might be when I saw the name and cover.

There are a couple decent tracks: 9, 10, 13

2/10

Recommendation: For Dakini fans and anyone who is a fan of ethnic music this is a must have. People who used to like ethnic psychill but who got bored with everything sounding the same or just sounding fake and plastic could really have their love of the ethnic music return by listening to this wonderful, natural music from ‘She who traverses the sky’

I agree with you to a certain extent. It might be good for people that are into ethnic stuff, but as someone who got bored with the sound it will definitely not return my love for the ethnic stuff.

Boring compilation imho.

I agree with you to a certain extent. It might be good for people that are into ethnic stuff, but as someone who got bored with the sound it will definitely not return my love for the ethnic stuff.

+1

i think i had enough of ethnic chill, there's not much new here...although some tracks are good but i couldn't listen through the whole album more than twice (skipping both Omar Faruk Tekbilek's tracks on second run).

Well, yeah! If you hate ethnic sounds or have gotten bored of it then this is not for you ;)

However I am sick of all the fake ethnic stuff that has flooded the psychill scene & I find the stuff on Dakini so much more real & makes me nostalgic for the time I spent in Asia :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion... I see a lot of people love this label... but I think it's a pretty lame and excuse for tribal music.

Anyways, what this actually makes me feel like, as opposed to being in a jungle celebrating that the hunters caught 2 boars today or something, is that I'm sitting around a fire with a crowd of white and hispanic trash in a trailer park somewhere in the the southern US or mexico. They are collectively banging out some easily forgettable and rather annoying music on half-broken instruments that they salvaged from the dump and improvising with random scrap objects. Furthermore, in my mind those hot belly dancers on the cover cannot help but turn into dirty ugly street prostitutes dancing around the fire and giving blowjobs to their random trailer trash boyfriends between tracks.

Yea... I know it's not a very pleasant image but I just typed this up while listening to the album. This thing is far from the spiritual experience that I thought it might be when I saw the name and cover.

There are a couple decent tracks: 9, 10, 13

2/10

im starting to understand your taste, and i agree to almost every opinion you have!

and i agree totally, theres really nothing good in this album imo, like nothing!

Oh Jesus, you and bwhale are so damned ~French~ it's not even funny. Obviously neither of you actually listened to this. And bwhale your inane wet-dream remarks about some imaginary sexual scene based on some free-association you did on the cover image or something.. how lame and ridiculous. What the hell does any of this have to do with the music on the CD?

Obviously the entire motivation for your remarks is that as you say "alot of people like this label lately"... and so you need to come along and set everyone straight and prove how ~superior~ you and your taste are, right? Well la-dee-dah.

"Nothing" good on this??? "Nothing!" (twice!!) Well I have not heard it either, like you mr. cat, but I have heard alot of Omar Faruk Tekbilek and he is an astounding virtuoso performer and more to the point a genius composer with many brilliant albums of his own music with top-rate reviews and that are top-sellers. He could not produce a "bad" track if he tried. Your remarks are really really idiotic and pointless.

Oh Jesus, you and bwhale are so damned ~French~ it's not even funny. Obviously neither of you actually listened to this. And bwhale your inane wet-dream remarks about some imaginary sexual scene based on some free-association you did on the cover image or something.. how lame and ridiculous. What the hell does any of this have to do with the music on the CD?

Obviously the entire motivation for your remarks is that as you say "alot of people like this label lately"... and so you need to come along and set everyone straight and prove how ~superior~ you and your taste are, right? Well la-dee-dah.

"Nothing" good on this??? "Nothing!" (twice!!) Well I have not heard it either, like you mr. cat, but I have heard alot of Omar Faruk Tekbilek and he is an astounding virtuoso performer and more to the point a genius composer with many brilliant albums of his own music with top-rate reviews and that are top-sellers. He could not produce a "bad" track if he tried. Your remarks are really really idiotic and pointless.

okay i dont know why you are saying this seriously, you didnt listen to this and you come and tell me something? WTF who are you anyway, this is so cheesy its insupportable, that my opinion

why are you righting that, this is cheesy, if you like it, finie, but men, for me its terribely bad, the little etnic sound, omar faruk is an astounding virtuo!!! hahah, go to israel men, youll love it

and my remark wasnt necessary? well yours neither

Boring compilation imho.

exactly, its even not listenable, i hated it

Would it be possible for a mod to clean up this thread? Murphy, can you see the quote button. You can use it to quote multiple people at the same time. Also can you see the edit button? You can use it to edit your previous posts so that you don't need to post 4 or 5 posts in quick succession!

I'm sorry but repeated quoting is much more irritating to read in the reviews than a few short replies about the album in question.

On Topic.

I still love this, it has just the right level of ethnic for me :)