What Portable Player to buy

psyhoe

First of all: why so much hate about discmans?

I don't use a discman on the walk because of the (obvioulsy) limited library and their big size, but in house are perfect!

I have an iPod Touch, first version.

Before, I had an iRiver H10. I must say the H10 had a better sound quality, and didn't need that crappy iTunes library.

The Touch is fine though when you put the "Electronic" sound setting.

As for the headphones, I used to have some Koss, but frankly the sound quality decreased a lot over the years. So I just switched to Philips SHE9700. They are intra-auricular, so they isolate you well from colleagues and beggars in the metro. They don't have this huge bass you have usually with this kind of headphones that makes psytrance so compressed it hurts your ears. Check them here: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-531.html

+1 about Philips earphones. I have tried EVERYTHING and Philips have the best value for money.

please no discussion about headphones.

i just want recommandations concerning portable players.

and about discmans, i also got one, but its just too big and heavy for travelling and i dont want to carry my cds around with me, therefore i want a decent small wav player :)

please no discussion about headphones.

i just want recommandations concerning portable players.

and about discmans, i also got one, but its just too big and heavy for travelling and i dont want to carry my cds around with me, therefore i want a decent small wav player :)

You can trust my advice, that is the best player you will find, trust me! At least in price/ratio

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

well cat, I did have a iPod Classic 80GB but kind of lost it in India. I haven't had the finances to buy a new one and I've always had a Discman on the side because I love to be forced to play one CD when wandering around (I have a lot of cD's, don't use computers and mp3's that much ..), its for me a great way to get to know the album instead of having 2000 CD's to push next on. Also yeah, I burn a lot of batteries :ph34r: If I ever pollute massive in someway it has to be my battery usage. Its huge, so huge the only thing I hrm steal from stores are batteries :P .. though, I miss my iPod, it was nice and sexy and I had even ingraved the words 'Peace, Love, Unity and Respect :: MY real full lengh name' on the back. :( If anyone finds it, PM me hehe

lol kk, but i was just kiddin!

I gotta say I'm very disappointed with the sound quality of iPod which I frankly think sucks. I dunno much about the mp3 player market (I can imagine many or most of them are of similar quality) but if I was to buy a new one, I'd make sure the sound quality is considerably better than the iPod as the first thing.

Much of the bad sound quality thing is probably due to the mp3 format itself but that's for sure not the whole story.

This is wrong. The sound quality is limited by the earphones, not the iPod. The default iPod earphones suck, but the sound quality is fine with my Shures. :)

And it is almost impossible to hear the difference between an mp3 and a WAV anyways.

No that's not wrong lol - ipod sound quality do suck - and I've never used the crappy defaulft iPod phones (all in-ear phones, I've heard suck big time, including 100$ price tag ones). I use studio standard AKG k141 studio phones which are very very good and which are probably why I can hear that the iPod sound quality sucks.

That said, I dunno if the mp3 player market in general offer better sound quality than iPod but it'd surprise me if there weren't some that do.

nokia 5800 i just ordered.

it is pretty cool. better sound quality than iphone.

more powerful processor than nokia n96

double ram than nokia n95

35hrs of battery music playing

few other things but don't know now as haven't got it and oh so sleepy.

and it has this free music download for a year which i don't really care but i searched and it has music by hallucinogen, space tribe but no psykovsky or kindzaza but has parasense too.

nokia 5800 i just ordered.

it is pretty cool. better sound quality than iphone.

more powerful processor than nokia n96

double ram than nokia n95

35hrs of battery music playing

few other things but don't know now as haven't got it and oh so sleepy.

and it has this free music download for a year which i don't really care but i searched and it has music by hallucinogen, space tribe but no psykovsky or kindzaza but has parasense too.

suomi saundi

I adore your avatar psyhoe

I've got Canyon CNMP4D for 20 USD - 1GB

Headphones - KOSS THE PLUG

Posted Image

I use these as well, they're really good.

these will destroy your ears and I was almost hit by a car few times.

How? And almost getting hit by a car is definitely your own fault, not the headphones.

I have an iPod (which I won) and wouldn't recommend you buy one.

I just H A T E the Equalizer on the thing, even on good headphones I never seem to be able to get the damn thing right. Damn that shit.

I'm not a fan of Apple products of any kind. Last year I did my research and ended up with a Creative Zen media player. I wanted something solid and user friendly onto which I could just drag and drop my files without having to go through some company's interface. Anyway, it's great. Even the standard headphones are decent for earbuds. It also takes an SD card for expandability. I recommend it.

I agree, fuck iTunes. I just use winamp... works fine.

Still, it sucks to have to change EQ every time for every single album, especially when there's plenty of times I can't even find one EQ setting that satisfies me. What about reggae? Dub?

Or whatever... even with the supposedly 'right' settings it just doesn't sound right to me. But I'm sorry, this is not an iPod whining topic... I just came to say I wouldn't recommend it.

Also: maybe it's different with different iPods? I gots me the 1G Nano oldschool one. 2nd gen, I believe.

You might want to check out the rockbox project, and the players that are supported. I read some of them (Cowon for example) have very nice sound quality. Rockbox is also very customizable (wav, flacs playback, gapless playback, customizable eq), some even say that the sound quality is better when using it.

I haven't tried it (yet), so I can't say if it's true or not...

Why do you use equalizer at all? :unsure:

I've never used it.

Funny thing, just today i was bored and I tried it out on my Creative MuVo for shits and giggles. 20 seconds of fiddling with it and the sound on it was insanely clearer and punchier(I.E. Bass boost). Goddamn, I used the normal EQ setting for a year...