What Portable Player to buy

psyhoe

ok i want to buy a new portable player (dont want to call it mp3-player)

it doesnt have to be anything special with color displays etc.

i just want it to play goa/chill in the best quality it can get out of WAV.

i play only .wav so it should be 1gb+ to at least fit one cd.

mkayy, what can you recommend me :)

I use the Iaudio U2. It is a small flash drive player so no batteries needed. You can charge it up by connecting it to the computer via USB. The charge lasts for several hours. I have the 512 MB version but I think you can get 1 GB. The earbuds it comes with are pretty good. It has a lot of features (FM radio, never use it, line in recording, never use it). It comes with software, but I don't use that either, as I just hook it up to the cpu and open music folders. Simple.

Lastly, it is very cheap and you don't have to mess with iTunes!

Here is the version I have: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/u2/

Mdk

If you buy an iPod make sure that you buy the extra three year guarantee on top (around £40). It's well worth it, I've already got 2 new iPods out of mine after they stopped working (which they do A LOT)

I'd also recommend saving and buying one with looooots of space (80gb or more). That way you don't have to upgrade when you run out of space :)

a disc player?!?! euhhh i dont get it, is it because its cool to not have a mp3players since everyone have one, to be authentic, or to be different? anyways, i really dont get this. how can someone still has a discman, even my mom got an ipod, its kind of useful being able to listen to 100 gigs of music without bringing 2000 cd's with you, and you dont pollute at all cause you dont need batteries, since every batteries even rechargeable need to be changed! Anyways, ive been using an ipod for many years, but since it breaks a lot( almost every 4 month) well i decided to go with the zune from microsoft, cause the garantee is much more practise!

^well my brother from another mother. I'm old-skool B):P

Two days ago I bought a new (used) Sony Walkman Discman at a flea marked because my old one stopped working :o 5 Euro :D

Posted Image

5 euros! thats a lot considering 10 years ago it was 80 buck! i guess in 20 years, youll have an ipod, dont give up!!!!!! do you have a tv??? you heat your place dont you?

Do you mean the earphones break? Because those default earphones are crap... but I've had my iPod for 3 years now and it still works perfectly. :rolleyes:

It has had a couple problems but they always went away with a reset.

I even dropped it down the toilet once. :lol:

I gotta say I'm very disappointed with the sound quality of iPod which I frankly think sucks. I dunno much about the mp3 player market (I can imagine many or most of them are of similar quality) but if I was to buy a new one, I'd make sure the sound quality is considerably better than the iPod as the first thing.

Much of the bad sound quality thing is probably due to the mp3 format itself but that's for sure not the whole story.

anything you can do to not use iTunes is what I would recommend

apple has nice hardware but the software is unbelievable bullshit

plus, and for the life of me I just do not know why, but they still refuse to support FLAC

I know they have their own ALAC format, but cmon, get with the times already...

enough anti-apple soapboxing... sorry

I would get an iRiver or something that has a simple media player on it where you can just drag and drop files

and not have to use some conduit software

the Archos are nice as well I've heard, but I think they are large and expensive

still, I would not go with bullshit garbage iTunes no matter what

the user should be allowed to have control over the way they use their music without the nonsense

anyway...

happy hunting

(PS - I still often times just record vinyl (or CD) to tape and use a portable cassette player - really brings back the romance of making mix tapes--

>not to mention the analogue sound quality is very nice and cassette players can be small and cheap as well)

Always been an i pod person using my third i pod (160gb) ya hardware is nice but software really sucks, but anyways u get used to it .

As far as sound quality goes if u buying ur music digitally from beatport or i tunes itself.. then quality is really nice as i do and even good when i rip music from the original cds... and my i pod has never broken down lost one of them but they never died on me.......

But they should really give a nice headphones with the i pod cause the ones they give really suck big time.

I gotta say I'm very disappointed with the sound quality of iPod which I frankly think sucks. I dunno much about the mp3 player market (I can imagine many or most of them are of similar quality) but if I was to buy a new one, I'd make sure the sound quality is considerably better than the iPod as the first thing.

Much of the bad sound quality thing is probably due to the mp3 format itself but that's for sure not the whole story.

This is wrong. The sound quality is limited by the earphones, not the iPod. The default iPod earphones suck, but the sound quality is fine with my Shures. :)

And it is almost impossible to hear the difference between an mp3 and a WAV anyways.

I have an iPod Touch, first version.

Before, I had an iRiver H10. I must say the H10 had a better sound quality, and didn't need that crappy iTunes library.

The Touch is fine though when you put the "Electronic" sound setting.

As for the headphones, I used to have some Koss, but frankly the sound quality decreased a lot over the years. So I just switched to Philips SHE9700. They are intra-auricular, so they isolate you well from colleagues and beggars in the metro. They don't have this huge bass you have usually with this kind of headphones that makes psytrance so compressed it hurts your ears. Check them here: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-531.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Archos-204-Digital...y/dp/B000OA880K

+

http://www.akg.com/personal/K_309,pcatid,7...,_psmand,1.html

that's what i have, sounds great! :)

and is not very expensive i was able to get the player for like 140 eur 2 years ago and the earphones are like 10 eur

maybe u can find this setup, but it depends how much you want to spend, is cheaper than an ipod and software works ok.

5 euros! thats a lot considering 10 years ago it was 80 buck! i guess in 20 years, youll have an ipod, dont give up!!!!!! do you have a tv??? you heat your place dont you?

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

well cat, I did have a iPod Classic 80GB but kind of lost it in India. I haven't had the finances to buy a new one and I've always had a Discman on the side because I love to be forced to play one CD when wandering around (I have a lot of cD's, don't use computers and mp3's that much ..), its for me a great way to get to know the album instead of having 2000 CD's to push next on. Also yeah, I burn a lot of batteries :ph34r: If I ever pollute massive in someway it has to be my battery usage. Its huge, so huge the only thing I hrm steal from stores are batteries :P .. though, I miss my iPod, it was nice and sexy and I had even ingraved the words 'Peace, Love, Unity and Respect :: MY real full lengh name' on the back. :( If anyone finds it, PM me hehe

my headphones are audio-technica ath-es7

im very satisfied with them. i only want a decent player for outside.

all i care about is good wav quality. i dont expect any wonders.

its not a portable studio, only a small player

I adore your avatar psyhoe

I've got Canyon CNMP4D for 20 USD - 1GB

Headphones - KOSS THE PLUG

Posted Image

Jesus that's the WORST sound quality you can get man!!

my headphones are audio-technica ath-es7

im very satisfied with them. i only want a decent player for outside.

all i care about is good wav quality. i dont expect any wonders.

its not a portable studio, only a small player

Then check my advice.