Melancholyman

Originally posted at Isratrance : Original Review

Lauge & Baba Gnohm - Daybreak EP

( Soundmute , Apr. 2009 )

Posted Image

1. Memories 6:39

2. Southern Hemisphere 6:18

3. Daybreak 7:21 (feat. Mikkel Govertz)

Lauge & Baba Gnohm are as the name implies a duo- Henrik Laugesen & Kalle Christensen, both 25 years of age, from Denmark. They each have their own acts, but their collaboration is what really caught my attention. Great planes, mountains, waterfalls, the great fjords of Norway, these are all good landscapes that well describe this wonderful music. Soft and warm, not pushing you anywhere, but just letting you reflect upon whatever is in you're mind. The style kinda resembles that of Vibrasphere's downtempo tracks, yet more mellow. There’s also some resemblance to Kritical Audio (Vibrasphere’s Robert Elster and Martin Skogehall). When you enter the guys’ myspace page they have a remix of Vibrasphere’s Manzanilla, so clearly Vibrasphere might have been a big influence. Yet Lauge & Baba Gnohm really manage to create their own unique sound.

The EP consists of three tracks and every track stands out. Memories is one of those pieces of music that just make you sincerely happy, a feast for your mind. Southern Hemisphere is also excellent; here we are presented with some very nice acoustic samples. I could have done without the voice samples, but by no means have they ruined the track. The last track of the EP, Daybreak, is a little more to the melancholic side of things. But this is by no means sad music, and the overall feel is very light and tender. To me this feels as very mature music, the composition is great and it sounds like it has been created by someone who's been composing music for a long time.

Recomendation: I was always wishing for a Vibrasphere full length downtempo album, and just out of nowhere comes an act making downtempo music with the same atmosphere. A wish come true. These days Lauge & Baba Gnohm are working on their first full-length album, which I am really looking forward to. This is an act to really keep you're eyes on. If the upcoming releases have the same genuine feel of quality as this one, we have another duo to keep us satisfied with great music.

Samples

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find all tracks sound pretty the same way. But they're great. :)

It's just that they're very similar to me.

Yeah they are, but I've been hearing some new stuff and I can tell you it's very diverse!! Great great stuff!! Really keep an eye on this act!! Great things will come from there,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

hRoMpi9.jpg

Artist: Lauge & Baba Gnohm

Title: Daybreak EP

Label: Soundmute Recordings

Date: April, 2009

1. Memories

2. Southern Hemisphere

3. Daybreak

When two forces with the right chemistry get together it can oftentimes garner magical results.

Mi9f1si.jpg

Mensa had that property staked out before for that kid came out of the womb. Ever notice he always has the same look on his face when he's with her? Look dude everyone f*cked her you were just the dumbass that got her pregnant.

Bacon and well...everything. Thank God pigs don't smell like bacon or there'd be a helluva lot more pig f*cking than there is.

sBiK2dk.jpg

That bromance has led to some comedy gold. Just watched the Internship and it sucked. I mean it was contrived and came straight out of the Hollywood playbook. You could see the jokes from a mile away. But those two guys...they made it watchable. That partnership works. Well, maybe it was the boredom. Point is, magic is what we get from this pairing. Their silky smooth downtempo sounds are bursting with emotion. Bursting. Long drifting melodies that are made for beers with friends on a windy beach. You can't ask for more than that.

Except maybe some bacon. Highly recommended.

Free at Ektoplazm

Mdk