Filteria - Daze Of Our Lives

Jon Cocco

I'd say that really depends on the hardware.

I would tend to agree with you because if you blast both 320 kbps and 192 at optimum volume on a good sound system you cannot really notice the difference. I don't want to get into the technical aspects of the former being of greater quality so it sounds better ( maybe through really high quality headphones) because it is below the threshold of just noticeable difference. All you theoretical tech geeks might prove this wrong, as far as practical experiences are concerned, im sure it remains the same for bit rate above 192 to an average listener.

Filteria has put out a good album here, in fact amazing to think of what it could do to a trancefloor played at the right time. Whats evident here is that its totally meant more for dancefloors than it is for home listeners. All tracks are above average, infinite regression takes the cake with the cherry on top in terms of the frenzy created by the hyper melodic aspect of it.

It could have been a masterpiece if all those melodies and basslines werent in your face with more subtlety and variation which is on the lower side im afraid.

Nonetheless a super awesome album if you're into punching the air or that kind of a thing :D

this album is serious stuff.

Filtertraces (Abstract Dream Rmx) is by far better then anything i have heard since 5 years in term of goa. okay its nuts, this song his out of this world, 10 times listening, and it is addictive

Im no expert at all in goa, but me, as a guy who's as freaked out with IFO or astral but get tired of them( with all the Idm/ psychadelics/ambient/chill-out/dubstep/experimental stuff that's coming out, i kinda let down everything i used to listen of Goa), I believe that Days of our lives is EVEN BETTER then any goa i heard in my life, it does loook a bit like hallucinogen(stuff posforf IMO would have and have done in like 1995)

but I really prefer other style of music then that, however, I seriously enjoy couple of his songs, in fact, i find them seriously well done, even if the samples are quite always a bit the same IMO, it doesnt matters, cause the melodies are simple gorgeous.

In the goa scene,and I'm a guy who doesn't seriously love Goa, you need to listen to that because you might love it

the only problem fo me, and it doesnt matter since this album is a masterpiece, is the lack of samples diversify, they are always a bit alike, and i mean by that is the sounds is never crazy like shamanix samples or gamme gobblin bubbles, there no organic sounds or at the very least, not enough!. But in days of lives, it DOES NOT bothers me since its awesome

but i dont know, all goa i know seems to always stick into one direction, its never experimental stuff, it seems to always follow one path of methodic goa, IMO there is not enough exploration into Goa and its a shame!

10/10 i never enjoyed a goa album as much as this one before

I think my problem with the production or whatever you call it, is that Filteria puts the lead melody in there, which you can hear loud and clear, but then the background effects all sort of sound the same, and form a sort of peripheral "soup" of sound effects - generally high note sound effects too, not much in the way of contrast... From time to time I hear some nice sounds in there but basically its just the melodies and the soup of background effects...

Sometimes I feel like he just adds a bunch of background effects because they're supposed to be there, per goa-trance formula, but they aren't always adding that much to the track, if that makes any sense... Like, if you took out a sound or two it wouldn't make much a difference in how the track sounded, it would still basically sound like a lead melody and a bunch of high-notes behind it...

I think my problem with the production or whatever you call it, is that Filteria puts the lead melody in there, which you can hear loud and clear, but then the background effects all sort of sound the same, and form a sort of peripheral "soup" of sound effects - generally high note sound effects too, not much in the way of contrast... From time to time I hear some nice sounds in there but basically its just the melodies and the soup of background effects...

Sometimes I feel like he just adds a bunch of background effects because they're supposed to be there, per goa-trance formula, but they aren't always adding that much to the track, if that makes any sense... Like, if you took out a sound or two it wouldn't make much a difference in how the track sounded, it would still basically sound like a lead melody and a bunch of high-notes behind it...

Yeah. And then you compare that cacophony to something like Transwave's Malaka Dance... Ooosh.

mmmmmm

an artist like Filteria does not wait until the end to create a perfect climax,

but contains a whole concept first to last minute,

just like rock does,

off course if you analyse it like that I understand your interpretation,

but that's not what it's about when it comes to artist like filteria,

it would make a difference, this is not one layer morning trance like california sunshine etc...

I think we would be surprised/missing if only one layer or two were gone...

i see what you're saying, but because of same reason (IMO of course) i can hear new sounds in the same track after repeated listens. that makes it fresh to me even after listening to this album for several times. in a casual listen, like when jogging or working, all i can hear is that lead melody that you're talking about but the magic is revealed to me during critical listens (or whatever you name it!)

i see what you're saying, but because of same reason (IMO of course) i can hear new sounds in the same track after repeated listens. that makes it fresh to me even after listening to this album for several times. in a casual listen, like when jogging or working, all i can hear is that lead melody that you're talking about but the magic is revealed to me during critical listens (or whatever you name it!)

funny for me, music is got to be amazing when im working or training or doing homework cause i found that good electronic always sounds better when critical listens and might be a lot more enjoyable, but only a few artist is amazing both the time IMO

Lets be clear, I like sound fx and layered complexity for sure... It's just with Filteria, the way he spaces those fx, and that they're mostly in the same pitch range, doesn't work as well as other albums that have more color or variety in the sound pallete.. Is just my opinion...

An example of an album that doesn't suffer from this would be Koxbox "Dragon Tales" - the sounds in that album are very colorful and contrast with each other, so even though there's lots going on, each sound or layer stands out from the others...

Look at the waveform. It's probably a complete brickwall due to rough mastering.

And shut up about mp3's. No, you can't distinguish ~200 kbps VBR from wave no matter how much you love music, dude. mp3 is lossy compression, yes, but it's not stupid.

EDIT: Sorry for the harsh tone. No harm intended :)

I've allways said that myself, until I got my Adam monitors... I can tell a differense now.... Even between 320 mp3 and FLAC/WAV.... Music sounds more full, less compressed and there's more space between the sounds...

I've allways said that myself, until I got my Adam monitors... I can tell a differense now.... Even between 320 mp3 and FLAC/WAV.... Music sounds more full, less compressed and there's more space between the sounds...

Oh well, whatever. Mastering (as it's done these days) makes a lot more difference than bitrate (as long as we're talking acceptable quality, which for most people seems to be something like 192 kbps).

do lots of blind tests and see the results.

do lots of blind tests and see the results.

If you do those blind tests through a louder, high quality multi-channel sound system there is unquestionable difference in quality between mp3 of any kind and lossless. I don't notice as much through my Bose Tri-Ports, but when I listen to the original CD in my car it makes a huge improvement over burned mp3 versions.

Ummm as far as this album (to stay on topic), it's amazing psytrance. I don't like a lot of the uptempo, but this album is really great, especially love track 7.

This album is amazing, In the Heaven's Eye is my favourite Filteria track to date :)

I feel sorry for guys listening to this in mp3 format... it's like having sex with artificial women.

+1000

If you do those blind tests through a louder, high quality multi-channel sound system there is unquestionable difference in quality between mp3 of any kind and lossless.

So, once and for all...this is the truth, no more multi page discussions on that topic, lossless audio... i.e., wave files, flac, sound better on high fidelity, really loud sound systems designed to be as accurate and powerful as possible, so anything from studio monitors, maybe some very high quality home systems, all the way up to a stack of 16 cabinets at an outdoor musical event. I can always tell when an mp3 comes up, but the higher the bitrate the better you can tell. 128k is obvious, 256k is usually noticable, and 320 / high quality VBR is harder to tell and in my opinion is usually totally fine to play. But ofcourse, wave is clearly and obviously better and simply causes the speakers to create an atmosphere of vibrations (...sound) in a more accurate way; hence people describe it as sounding fuller and essentially more real.

BUT :)

considering most of the time we listen to music via computer speakers, headphones or car stereos, you usually won't be able to tell the difference between mp3 and wav. Which is what most everyone else is experiencing. if you can tell the difference, congratulations, your sound is good :)

and this Filteria album is indeed, something everyone in search of originality in music should try out. Comming from the goa end of things, this is a 100% no filler, original concept. You can hear the goa vibe but you also can hear where it continues the story and basically, is something new; Filteria's style.

My advice to Jannis is, you have accomplished what we can hear as your original vision and style we first heard 5 years ago, now it is fresh, and a completely valid contribution to our ideas of goa trance as well as really rocking dancefloor tracks. Naturally we would love to hear more adventures like this, but do not be adverse to the idea of expiramenting into completely different kinds of rythms - myself and a few others are aware that after 3 excellent albums, it becomes more and more difficult to top them if they continue in the same style, so the people who are saying that they wish the albums weren't all so similar have this kind of viewpoint.

I am most excited by the tracks you release on compilations, particularly suntrip ones. they are all usually very good concepts, like for example your latest K.o.B. track on cronomi's v/a people walk funny, which is a stellar track.

Also..

I'm very happy with how these tracks work in mixes.. they let me really get into playing mostly newschool tracks around a couple of obscure classics. Dropping filteria tracks as a climax in a goa mix instead of classics we have heard already... well, it makes very good, travelling sets.

Here is one with heavens eye mixing into big blue as the max of the set :)

link

(no this is not so much a shameless plug, though I guess it is - but I guess i could twist it as a suntrip promo ;) for the rest of you. Jannis i'm sure you want to hear how your tracks mix, so this is more for you)

1.Filtertraces (Abstract Dream rmx) Very good intro for the album that make u to feel the upcoming energy. Try to listen this track with closed eyes and headphones its pure magic :D when i do this i imagine that i`m the man from the covert and im dancing on those great psychedelic cosmic melodies across the filteria`s planet (that`s the planet from the cover) 10/10

2.The Big Blue a perfect melodic goa that remind on old filteria sound and on khetzal trancefuzion track but with very powerful production. 10/10

3.Wormhole its more night goa full with twisted melodies and is much different with other tracks .it`s not my stile 8/10

4.Eyeless Observatory pure old school goa sound with many effects just like in old gold days ,im not big fun of this kind of goa and becouse of that i more like the

second part of the track which is more melodic especialy the part from 6:19 where the track get wild and forcing u to dance :) 9/10

5.In the Heaven`s Eye this is the best Filteria track till now for me and this kind of tracks are my favorites, starting with quiet melodic downtempo and after some time have a progress in great old school goa track its just a perfection.10/10

6.Infinite Regression(feat Ukiro) its a great melodic morning goa track with old filteria sound and its track that will not alow u to stop dancing 10/10

7.Earthrice its a very twisted track with great atmospheric leads and fun cosmic melodies , favorit part from this great track is from 6:37 till the end this part is very spirtual and emotive 10/10

8.Float Away & Disappear its a great downtempo chilly goa track and when u hearing the whole album at once this track is lead u backward at the begining concerning on Filtertraces track :) 10/10

Favorit tracks : 1,2,5,6,7,8

my judgment for this album is 9 of 10

Very good story u told us with this album Janis.Tnx for giving us this perfect creature and big tnx to Suntrip Records

maybe there are some mistaces in this post cose i don`t know english so good

Peace and Love

Hello :posford:

Thank you for all the kind words and for your reviews (both good and bad ones :)) Keep em coming! Funny to see that my 3 favourite tracks (for the moment at least): Filtertraces, In the Heaven’s Eye and Earthrise got most attention so far :lol:

On a little side note: one unfortunate aspect of listening to Filteria's albums I noticed is that I have never, never and once again never felt the same energy, adrenalin rush levitating me 100 feet above the earth's surface as the one I've experienced with "Sky input". Simply put, as much as Jannis is determined to bring new and exciting music to the table, I feel like he will not be able to ever reproduce the tear your heart out of your chest effect his debut had. A sensation like that can be experienced once, and to me, "Daze of our lives" at places sounds like it's trying to grace us with the same feeling all over again. Not possible.

Despite of it all, good work Filteria!

Ask yourself: If Daze was the debut album: Would it have made as big impact as Sky Input did? Probably yes..If Sky Input was released now as my third album in 2009, would it be the same energy rush as it was back in 2004? I'm not sure... I personally don’t think it depends on the music (when the energy level is kind of equal, even if Daze is calmer in every way). It’s more psychological and as you wrote: “A sensation like that can be experienced once”. I think that bands which had a “successful” debut often get in this position (Pleiadians, Hallucinogen etc). Sky Input came when no one expected a CD like that. After 2 Filteria albums, you know what to expect more or less, so yes, it’s more or less impossible to get that feeling again. It’s probably one reason why we’ll most likely never will see a third Hallucinogen. No matter how good it would be, it won’t live up to the hype for some (because of some old wonderful memories they had while tripping to LSD and Shamanix).

As for Daze trying to grace with the same feeling: All I know is that all I ever wanted to do as musician/whatever, was and is to touch the listener through the music and get him/her to dance. I wanted to do that with Sky Input... aswell with Daze...Thats the "same" feeling I want to give through all my albums.

Sorry, I just needed to share my thoughts on this one :)

And btw Rino: Its Tzikas, not Tzakis. And it’s a pleasure reading your always entertaining reviews :)

Thanx again everyone!

Take care / Jannis

EARTHRISE !!!

This track alone is worth the whole album, totally uplifting and euphoric, even though I partially quit listening to trance in past year or so. This completely made me change my mind. Thanks Jannis, that is really great. Actually whole album is less chaotic as everyone else mentioned and since lot of people find it less engaging, I quite like this 'chilled out' Filteria... it is still pretty euphoric, it doesn't need to be all the time maximal and over the top. So, I rate this album higher than his previous but it still doesn't come close to Sky Input. Other tracks I really like FILTERTRACES, IN THE HEAVEN'S EYE, FLOAT AWAY & DISSAPEAR... Good work again Jannis... 9/10