What is the most used software for making psy?

since some replies kindof shocked me in another thread, let's settle this once and for all: what is the most used software for making psy? Do YOU use it? Do you know of any psy artists using it? And what would be the pros and cons of using one software rather than another?

thanks for the replies :)

I dunno really, except that Synsun uses cubase :) I use cubase as well, i like how it's build and how it works compared to FL. The automation section in cubase is much better, plus i've gotten used to working with it.

But FL is supporting vst's, so in theory there really isn't that big of a difference there i suppose... It support vst's, midi sequencing, sidechaining, mastering section ect, so I don't see why it should be more or less usable than any other program... I think it depends on what you've desided to use, and what you're most comfortable with....

About reason 4: It doesn't support vst's, therefor it's pretty useless to me as a stand-alone software... But the Redrum and NN-XT advanced sampler are awesome(plus the sample-banks for both machines), so I like to rewire reason with cubase

are you too lazy to find out yourself lemmi?

actually... yes ;)

no but seriously I think that most well-known artists tend to be pretty secretive about the gear they use, that's why I was wondering if some people here who are closer to well-known artists know what they're using. For example I'd never have dreamed that most artists on Suntrip used FL...

no but seriously I think that most well-known artists tend to be pretty secretive about the gear they use, that's why I was wondering if some people here who are closer to well-known artists know what they're using. For example I'd never have dreamed that most artists on Suntrip used FL...

i dont think most artists are secretive about their gear. If you read the isratrance production forum. Pretty much all techniques come around so all you really need (ok maybe not all, but shitloads) you can find online in forums and tutorials. The rest is just practice and skill.

The obvious ones like cubase, ableton, sonar, logic, fl, etc are used in combination with sample cd's, vsts and live instruments and what not.

read this lemmi, you can get good music just from hitting woodblocks but it needs to be done right

yes but there's also the question of artists doing things WRONG and creating totally random stuff but still having huge popular success because the people listening to them are too high and/or ignorant and wouldn't recognize good music if it kicked them in the ass :) (I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to be one of those artists though ;) )

yes but there's also the question of artists doing things WRONG and creating totally random stuff but still having huge popular success because the people listening to them are too high and/or ignorant and wouldn't recognize good music if it kicked them in the ass :) (I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to be one of those artists though ;) )

filteria?

I use Cubase simply because this is the program I know and I don't have the energy to shift to something else and learn everything from the start.

I'm not a pro, but I believe that once you learn your program and get comfortable with it you can make great psy with anything, even if this is FL, Cubase or even Magix Music Maker. :D

ollie from space tribe first introduced my mate & i to cubase. but back then it was way to advanced for use so we started with reason. now i use cubase & quite a few people i know do the same, spliffun, taya, strayan, electroholics.

most people i know using Cubase are using PC's. Personal i use a Mac.

the reason i use Cubase is because i wanted a program to recorded vocals with as well as producing music. i had a PC at the time & decided to buy Cubase. after i brought it my PC was so old n slow that Cubase just wouldn't run on it so i went & brought a Mac. i probley would have brought Logic if i had known i was going to buy a Mac but im happy with Cubase now & will keep using it for music.

I use Cubase simply because this is the program I know and I don't have the energy to shift to something else and learn everything from the start.

I'm not a pro, but I believe that once you learn your program and get comfortable with it you can make great psy with anything, even if this is FL, Cubase or even Magix Music Maker. :D

jezus, does everybody forget about the woodblocks?? this is how psytrance started for me

and filteria uses cubase and his production level stinks big time, i love to see how everybody likes his track "birds lingva franca" and ok its a good track with a nice vibe but it's totally destroyed in production and/or mastering, just listen those sweet claps!! Posted Image two thumbs up!!! :clapping:

and filteria uses cubase and his production level stinks big time

Actually I am 99.7% sure he uses Logic (the .3% is in case he has changed since I last chatted with him).

In PAR-2 releases, we have released stuff made on Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton Live and Sonar that I can recall for sure.

Myself personally I have releasd tracks written on Cubase, Ableton Live and FL Studio, although 95% of my work is done in Cubase.

In my experience the bulk of Psy artists out there use Cubase, although Live seems to be gaining some ground the past couple years.

Artists I can personally confirm using Cubase: Phi, Slum, Symphonics, 11, Zekazy, Mr. Peculiar, Hydraglyph, Indra, NoiseAnamolie, Katapult.

I haven't seen them use it personally, but Infected Mushroom claims to be of the Cubase cult.

For FL Studio: Pretty much everyone ever released by 6 Dimension Soundz and the bulk of the Finland scene in general.

For Ableton live: Chi-A.D. says this is what he uses now on his website. I know of some more artists using it, but am drawing a blank at the moment.

Logic: Filteria as I mentioned above. Simon Posford is a well known Logic user, as is Benji Vaughan. These days I don't know, but I've been told that C.P.U. switched to Logic between the Biodegradable days and going solo.

These are just examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I use Renoise, probably the least-used program in psytrance. But I love it, I got my start on Impulse then Modplug Trackers, so the interface was already familiar. I always say Renoise is what would happen if Cubase impregnated Fast Tracker 2.

But as for pros, anything from Logic to Nuendo to Cubase to Buzz Tracker ffs (I dont actually know anyone who uses Buzz, but hey, it could work). Nuendo and Logic, afaik, are pretty much the most comprehensive DAWs. That is to say they include a whole lot of bells and whistles that may not necessarily be useful to a dance music producer (Nuendo's X.1 surround modes don't translate well to stereo speakers so much, but someday, we can hope for X.1 surround at parties :clapping: ).

Ive been looking into switching my main OS to Linux, so I looked into open source (and free) DAW's for Linux, and found Ardour which looks nice (anyone know anything about Ardour, good or bad?).