Stalker

needle ninja

I have been playing Stalker Clear Sky recently so I was overcome by curiousity and saw the movie on google.

I give it 5/10 it was so slow moving and really not anywhere near as good as the two Stalker games.

The story of the movie is quite minimal but the visuals are well done for a movie with a tiny buget.

The two games are about as good as computer gaming can get so if you have a newish system I strongly recommend both.

I saw this movie a few months back, and I struggled, to say the least. I'm sure I will give it another try, and I can humbly say I have at least some degree of understanding movies, but this was a nut to crack. Great visuals though, and I understood the message, but not throughout the movie itself.. Somehow.

You just have to learn more about the creators of movie Stalker - and believe me, all your recent "understanding" will go in a completely different way.

I would recommend some documentaries on Tarkovsky (The Director) and Strugatsky Brothers (the original writers of a small novel on which the movie was based on).

This was so influential back then.

Stalker to me is sort of the equivalent, in film, of the sounds and atmospheres of our dear departed Terminator's music. Sometimes a bit hard to initially grasp, a further look proves much rewarding.

That is the one.

Filmed in the crumbling soviet empire, it is a visual feast for those who like the disintigrating urban atmosphere.

I am not that big on urban landscapes and my photos reflect this.

The existentialist nature of the film is good though.

Posted Image

Have to say that this piece has to stay unwatched, as a novel is probably the peak of the sci-fi genre for me. Psychological dept of the main character was just stunning. The pain he went through as a zone continued do disintegrate the last pieces of humanity around him was extremely touching. The strive for dignity when things can't go shittier, the very question of good over the evil, not as simple either.. or.., but as an unforeseen consequence of one of the other..., simple great first contact!

Have to say that this piece has to stay unwatched, as a novel is probably the peak of the sci-fi genre for me. Psychological dept of the main character was just stunning. The pain he went through as a zone continued do disintegrate the last pieces of humanity around him was extremely touching. The strive for dignity when things can't go shittier, the very question of good over the evil, not as simple either.. or.., but as an unforeseen consequence of one of the other..., simple great first contact!

Yes. Novel is a true gem.

Are you guys talking about Roadside Picnic (Машина желаний) by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky?

If to consider the english title so yes, but the russian title in ears is translated 'The machine of Desires' :blink:

Roadside Picnic is - Пикник на обочине

I found a reasonably priced copy of the translation today. I look forward to reading it. Even though it's almost always the other way around, sometimes with really, really good movies the books don't quite compare. Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was that way for me. Two VERY different stories, but even so, Dick's book was surprisingly lightweight in comparison.

It looks like US producers want to make their own interpretation of the "Roadside Picnic" - which will in 90% fail IMO

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/Roadside_Picnic/382104

shortly:

"After the Visitation" - Main title

Synopsis:

After a mysterious alien visitation two decades earlier, a local resident

discovers that his daughter's health is being affected by the alien landing.

He leads a band of treasure hunters to penetrate a forbidden zone, a patch of

20 square miles controlled by the U.N., where amazing, unbelievable events

take place.

Genre(s):

adaptation

sci-fi

Runtime: 98 mins.

Distributor(s):

Columbia Pictures (USA)

John Travolta Has been mentioned to star.

James Wong Director

Glen Morgan Co-producer

James Wong Screenplay (rewrite)

Rose Schacht Screenplay

Glen Morgan Screenplay (rewrite)

edit: http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedCon...;threadid=57890 :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Probably my all-time favorite movie. Gets to the very core of the human condition, complete with stunning visuals and a wonderfully mysterious sci-fi story.

Yes, mine as well, an absolute masterpiece in film making. Out of not so many films by Tarkovsky, this one is the best.

Psychological dept of the main character was just stunning. The pain he went through as a zone continued do disintegrate the last pieces of humanity around him was extremely touching. The strive for dignity when things can't go shittier, the very question of good over the evil, not as simple either.. or.., but as an unforeseen consequence of one of the other..., simple great first contact!

Straight to the point, this film is touching on so many levels, pure visual poetry, an odyssey in existentialism.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys talking about Roadside Picnic (Машина желаний) by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky?

If to consider the english title so yes, but the russian title in ears is translated 'The machine of Desires' :blink:

Roadside Picnic is - Пикник на обочине

Eh, are you talking about some kind of tv/theatre adaptation name or the original story? Cause the only name for the story is "Roadside picnic" in english and the same in russian and pointed out by yerg, Машина желаний looks like some kind of adaptation screenplay, thats what i got from first google link at least :P

For me book was so great, i remember i read it in my teen years and it was creepy all over the place with alien ghosts and the zone B)

Now the movie didnt do it for me the first time, havent tried to re-watch it again tho.

Finished Roadside Picnic a few weeks ago. It was okay. The film is much, much better, I think. Stalker is far more subtle and profound than the "reality" of the book, upon which it was based. Still a recommended read, especially for those who haven't seen Tarkovsky's film.