Aphex twin

murphythecat

Ok i c the point. I am talking in terms of music only, i have it in mp3s anyways.

(BTW SAW 2 is better IMO)

compared the flacs of the remaster to mp3's of the original but there doesn't seem to be a really noticable difference, except that the remaster has a slightly more crisp sound perhaps.

(btw 2 is too different to compare with imo; 1 is more of an ethereal atmospherical nature; where'as 2 is more focused on pulling you through diverse hallucinatory soundscapes.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^If anything the man was hugly famuse for being early on making drill'n'bass music or braindance / IDM music. He made his own sound sources, his own synths.

Are you claiming that CtD was a piss-take on the Firestarter/Breath sound of Prodigy? Or you personally think so.. Or what do you mean?

It was well known. Richard James decided to do make fun of the Firestarter track which was quite popular at the time. Brilliant!

THANKS everyone, but i think i dont really love aphex twin in fact, ive been listening to a lot youv recommend, and i didnt even find one album i really want to listen again and again, its special, but nothinglovely, or melodious, i dont know. NOT my cup of TEA!

No doubt I CARE BEACUSE YOU DO and RICHARD D. JAMES ALBUM - most trippy, but also CLASSICS, SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS I & II are essential as well. His recent AFX - ANALORD series is incredible piece of work, almost beating all of the ones I've mentioned.

He is electronic genius, and completely non comparable to Autechre, since they are both highly prolific artists in IDM scene, the ones that defined the genre, so none of them are actually better than another, only as good. :D

What he said. I was just about to post this, but the above words render my comment useless. Disregard what I said. Oh wait, don't do that, add a PLUS1 to Seraph's word.

Also, hi Seraph. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently went over some AFX related releases I own...

Due to my musical preferences, first and foremost, I would strongly suggest:

Classics (1995) (R & S Records) this is in my ears the best music RDJ ever recorded; so raw, powerful and tongue in cheek. Warehouse mayhem!

http://www.discogs.com/Aphex-Twin-The-Classics/release/2702

I also quite enjoy the following two EPs on Warp:

On EP (1993) (Warp Records)

http://www.discogs.com/Aphex-Twin-On/release/3664

Donkey Rhubarb EP (1995) (Warp Records)

http://www.discogs.com/Aphex-Twin-Donkey-Rhubarb/release/3663

Both EPs are a very nice mix of phenomenal melody work and, at times, overdriven and distorted drum loops.

and naturally, the insane party anthem recorded under his Polygon Window moniker

Quoth (1993) (Warp Records)

http://www.discogs.com/Polygon-Window-Quoth/release/2510

Overall, I am not a big fan though. I really like his old tunes, but the stuff most people seem to dig and recommend is not along the lines of what I like at all.

• 5 weeks later...

well 6 month after, i can really say that aphex twin is now one of my favorite artist. I love the aggressiveness, the raw energy. I know that it may seem not as clean as psychadelic, but i love it. actually, it took me a lot of listen to get into it. anyways, my favorite album is:

I Care Because You Do

saw2 reworked

some of the analord

some of the ambient works.

but i never heard richard d james album.

• 2 weeks later...

So my favorite songs from Aphex:

Acrid Avid Jamshred

Mt saint michel mix+st michaels mount!

Start As You Mean To Go On

Mookid

Alberto Balsam

rhubarb (1159 mix)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lichen (1136 mix)!

cliffs (1043 mix)!!!

Xtal

Ageispolis

Z Twig!!

Crying in Your Face

Home Made Polysynth!!

Cilonen

I'm Self Employed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Backdoor.Berbew.Q

Wax the Nip

Backdoor.Spyboter.A

W32.Deadcode.A

Lisbon Acid!!!!!!!

Snivel Chew!!!!

2 Analogue Talks

AFX Acid 04!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitcard!!!

Fenix Funk

Grumpy Acid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crying in Yur Face

Boxing Day

Cilonen

Thats my top songs from him. Top 30 out of more than 200 songs i've heard from him. Every songs are amazing, but the ones with the exclamation are my very best. This list must play at least 1 time every day to make my day complete :P

Favorite AFX tune evargh is Digeridoo. Period.

There was nobody anywhere releasing anything anyhow that in any way even remotely hinted at sounding like that tune.

Closely followed by Quoth, the remixes of We Have Arrived, Flaphead and Polynominal-C.

Has anyone mentioned the 'Power Pill' EP ?

Its probably only -pick your favorite of the bunch, toss the rest-  but still great stuff.

Oh yeah, a friend introduced me to that track a couple years ago. Awesome stuff.  And there's a couple of versions of it afaik.

My personal all-time favourite has to be Polynomial C. A very simple tune that I just adore.

Favorite AFX tune evargh is Digeridoo. Period.

There was nobody anywhere releasing anything anyhow that in any way even remotely hinted at sounding like that tune.

Closely followed by Quoth, the remixes of We Have Arrived, Flaphead and Polynominal-C.

how COME I dont know these songs?!!!!!! :angry::lol: