Aphex twin

murphythecat

No doubt I CARE BEACUSE YOU DO - most trippy

true

He is electronic genius, and completely non comparable to Autechre, since they are both highly prolific artists in IDM scene, the ones that defined the genre, so none of them are actually better than another, only as good. :D

Rephlex defined the "genre", which is co-owned by Aphex T.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true

Rephlex defined the "genre", which is co-owned by Aphex T.

What nonsense! First of all, I am not sure what "genre" you are talking about. Rephlex themselves have quite a wide variety of styles. Rephlex did came up with a term, "Braindance", as a catchall for their music (and as an alternative to the equally ludicrous "IDM" term), but nobody ever took that seriously.

There were other labels putting out very influential electronic music in the 1990s. In fact, one of them, Warp (which also released Aphex Twin's output, as well as Autechre), easily eclipsed Rephlex.

Pedro

What nonsense! First of all, I am not sure what "genre" you are talking about. Rephlex themselves have quite a wide variety of styles. Rephlex did came up with a term, "Braindance", as a catchall for their music (and as an alternative to the equally ludicrous "IDM" term), but nobody ever took that seriously.

I consider Braindance a pretty good term actually. IDM is accused of being arrogant, because of the I , but that's what i mostly use to define idm'ish music anyways.

I consider Braindance a pretty good term actually. IDM is accused of being arrogant, because of the I , but that's what i mostly use to define idm'ish music anyways.

Both terms are off-target and really not needed. IDM is more of an American expression anyway.

Pedro

The Come to Daddy mini album and the Ventolin EP are the only things that really grabbed me by Aphex (in the case of the latter, the B-sides are way better than the A-side). Though I haven't heard 26 mixes for cash which people here evidently think is good.

What nonsense!

say what ?

i dont consider IDM a genre (hence the brackets)

and yes, the term IDM had something to do with Aphex Twin's label at that time

what the hell are you talking about ?

say what ?

i dont consider IDM a genre (hence the brackets)

and yes, the term IDM had something to do with Aphex Twin's label at that time

what the hell are you talking about ?

I was responding to your comment that "Rephlex defined the 'genre' ". There might some semantic confusion here. One thing is to say that Rephlex made music that people would define as IDM. Which I have no issue with (although I hate the IDM term which I find lazy, inaccurate and pretentious). But I am reading your comment as saying that Rephlex was the label that defined the genre - which I disagree.

Pedro

I'd also say he's overrated. Sort of like Posford. It seems every genre has to arbitrarily name a king so that those without ears have something to flock around. :rolleyes:

hehe yeah I get what you mean but the question is just how do those artists become gods in the first place? Surely something else is involved than pure chance? IMO it is some secret conspiracy between underground UK lables ;)

I'd also say he's overrated. Sort of like Posford. It seems every genre has to arbitrarily name a king so that those without ears have something to flock around. :rolleyes:

Name another who makes the same kind of music as Aphex Twin.

you mean IDM, IDM/ambient, ambient?!

Just the same kind of music. Not per Genre as you perceive it, but what i meant was a similar artist.

E: I don't believe Autechre counts - Its not in no way comparable, i mean. Listen to 26 mixes for cash. find anything like it.

i don't understand what you mean by similar artist but i do know many IDM, IDM/ambient artists which i prefer to aphex twin music...

not necessarily same music though, but that's the point! i don't like his kindda music!! (not to the point i consider him the best, or among the best)

I'd agree but, as Lemmi points out, there has to be some reason why he got to his position in the first place. Maybe you had to be there when his early stuff was released to appreciate it, I only got into his work in the late 90's and most of his back catalogue sounds like amateurish techno-wanking to me.

I do think Aphex Twin does deserve the accolades, although some of the adulation may be blown out of proportion (we all need a hero). While some may not have enjoyed the drill 'n' bass from Richard James Album nor the Firestarter piss-take which the Come To Daddy track was, Aphex's entire body of work as a whole is still impressive. And 26 Mixes For Cash is the best remix album I have heard so far (although several of the remixes are so different from the originals that they are really new tracks).

Pedro

^If anything the man was hugly famuse for being early on making drill'n'bass music or braindance / IDM music. He made his own sound sources, his own synths.

Firestarter piss-take which the Come To Daddy track was

Are you claiming that CtD was a piss-take on the Firestarter/Breath sound of Prodigy? Or you personally think so.. Or what do you mean?