Aphex twin

murphythecat

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the biggest Aphex guy in the world so I don't have a lot to work with--but, Selected Ambient Works 85-92 you should check out and the track "Alberto Balsalm" is what brought me to explore Aphex Twin at all.

well my personal favorite tracks are Come To Daddy and Windowlicker (if you've ever taken acid this video will be HILARIOUS!)

other than that he made some pretty cool acid downtempo:

and Halibut Acid

But overall his style is a bit too hectic and some synth sounds way to screetchy for me (except when he gets it just right and then it's great) :)

Venetian Snares are nowhere on par with Autechre and Aphex Twin, the latter two were important artists in the development of electronic music in the 1990's.

Aphex Twin's albums can be quite different (make that VERY different) from each other which makes a single recommendation rather difficult. If I had to choose, my personal preference is "I Care Because You Do". In Drukgs it sounds as he is using old, previously discarded material, despite some cracking tracks.

Actually, the best release, in my view, by Aphex Twin is clearly his remixes - specifically "26 Mixes For Cash". No household should be without one. I can recommend that one without any reservation whatsoever.

Pedro

Today I received Richard D. James and Drukqs.

So far I have:

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Selected Ambient Works Volume II

Classics

...I Care Because You Do

Richard D. James

Analogue Bubblebath 3

Drukqs

I miss Come to Daddy and some post 2001 album, those combining tracks from his Analord series. Think I should check also the compilation 26 Mixes For Cash.

As already said above, all his albums are veeerrry different from each other.

I have to agree with recommending SAW I & II, as well as Drukqs.

The other albums are interesting I suppose if you are into different stuff. I haven't listened to all the Analords yet but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them because some of them are rather boring and disappointing for someone like RDJ.

I'd say start with:

Classics

then try

Analogue Bubblebath 3

it depends on what type of music you're after

you could check his ambient works

then i'd recommend

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

before you listen to

Selected Ambient Works vol.II

his second ambient album i find quite heavy (to digest)

to use it for getting acquainted with his work

same goes for "I Care Because You Do"

His Classics album has alot of 303 and roughness innit, but also some nice electronics

so it has enough variation to get a first impression as far as i'm concerned

if you're not into industrial sounds and 303

then i'd definitely go for Analogue Bubblebath III

Check this out: Insane stuff, make sure your stoned in a dark room while watching hr hr

Come To Daddy was my reason to check out his stuff.

After that I bought Druqs which is very experimental and noisy with tracks that's not really music, but a display of creepy sounds and strange feelings.

is a must if your a fan of old acid ambient :D Beautiful music in it's ,, simplicity ".

26 Mixes For The Cash is a masterpiece and like mentioned, everyone should have this. The different tunes are special special and you'll love the double album more for each listen. A lot of strong tracks !!

It's the first time i read this argument. :unsure:

Autechre has created mellow stuff as well as experimental innovative stuff (Draft7.30 , Confield etc)

Autechre has always been innovative, every step of the way

Aphex Twin same story (or probably even to be called revolutionary)

the music however, or each of their individual works, aren't comparable in any way

This is a psy forum so the first Aphex track I would recommend is Didgeridoo. Mind blowing, crazy didgeridoo sounds with super fast claps and whatnot. Quite trippy.

Damn, Im bored to hell by Aphex Twin. I just hear stupid melodies and annoying rhythms, but I've probably missed something, since surely all of you people couldn't be wrong :)

Yeah, I don't get a lot of his stuff, like off the top of my head there is this one track called Bucephalus Bouncing ball or something which sounds like a ball bouncing....and it has seemingly random sounds :unsure:

I'm not sure whats so great about Windowlicker either.

More listening required....

No doubt I CARE BEACUSE YOU DO and RICHARD D. JAMES ALBUM - most trippy, but also CLASSICS, SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS I & II are essential as well. His recent AFX - ANALORD series is incredible piece of work, almost beating all of the ones I've mentioned.

He is electronic genius, and completely non comparable to Autechre, since they are both highly prolific artists in IDM scene, the ones that defined the genre, so none of them are actually better than another, only as good. :D

they've defined the genre only for others to improve it!

i have so much respect for both but defining the genre is not enough to be the best. they are respectable the way The Beatles are, but again same as The Beatles they are far from being the best IMO.

they've defined the genre only for others to improve it!

i have so much respect for both but defining the genre is not enough to be the best. they are respectable the way The Beatles are, but again same as The Beatles they are far from being the best IMO.

Yes, that all makes sense, and you are right, I was only referring to the discussion Time Trap had with someone comparing them. I would never compare the inventors among themselves, only with the ones that are improving the genre further. ( BTW, they ARE the top class wheter you like it or not, so yes, among best ) :D