Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

Lemmiwinks

So has anyone here read Steppenwolf by Hesse? I just love that description of the magic theatre and always toyed around with the idea of having a psy party venue like it. I mean the entrance sign has psychdelic written all over it :

MAGIC THEATRE

Entrance not for everybody

For madmen only

Price of Admission: your mind

Just imagine: one room called "heaven" with morning trance, one "hell" with dark trance and little rooms everywhere, each decorated in a different way, some playing soothing chill-out, others playing dark glitchcore and whatelse...

So what did you guys think about the book? And the whole Magic theatre concept?

I thought it was a pretty lame book and didn't bother trying to figure out what the point of all those magic room stories was supposed to be.

the point was that he was having a psychedellic experience!!! And when you keep in mind that it was written in the 1920s that's like THE grandfather of psychedellic litterature :)

From what I've read about the magic theatre it would be an awesome idea for a party, though I'll bet that someone somewhere has already done it :)

Never read the actual book as I always assumed it would be difficult to get into for some reason, but I should most definately get rid of that stupid stigma and put it on my to read list.

Got it on my shelf, was planning to read it soon... Borrowed it from my aunt, she says it's an awesome book!! Her recommendations have been cool so far so I'll trust her on this one as well :)

Btw have you read Siddhartha? Also by Mr Hesse, i get the idea that you will like it :) Pretty "psychedelic" feeling all the way through the book... It surtainly gave me something think about

Got it on my shelf, was planning to read it soon... Borrowed it from my aunt, she says it's an awesome book!! Her recommendations have been cool so far so I'll trust her on this one as well :)

Btw have you read Siddhartha? Also by Mr Hesse, i get the idea that you will like it :) Pretty "psychedelic" feeling all the way through the book... It surtainly gave me something think about

yep I've read Siddharta as well, I liked that one too :)

I've read much better existentialist literature from the same time period and earlier.

Please stop talking about psychedelic books, that's just ridiculous.

umm just why would it be ridiculous to talk about psychedellic litterature in the books section of a psychedellic trance forum? :blink:

• 2 months later...

Is Steppenwolf actually really psychedelic? It's been some years since I've last read it and so maybe it's time to give it another go. I myself didn't make the link to anything psychedelic when I read it. Not even when he entered the door Lemmi mentions, I can remember that scene. But I fail to remember the magical rooms, maybe that would change my mind.

I really love this book but not because of any psychedelic aspect that I might have noticed back then but because of the state of the main character in the book, his (from what I remember...) loneliness and also hopelessness in some parts.

So has anyone here read Steppenwolf by Hesse? I just love that description of the magic theatre and always toyed around with the idea of having a psy party venue like it. I mean the entrance sign has psychdelic written all over it :

MAGIC THEATRE

Entrance not for everybody

For madmen only

Price of Admission: your mind

Just imagine: one room called "heaven" with morning trance, one "hell" with dark trance and little rooms everywhere, each decorated in a different way, some playing soothing chill-out, others playing dark glitchcore and whatelse...

So what did you guys think about the book? And the whole Magic theatre concept?

I have not read the book but I used to go to a club like you described! It was called Heaven & Hell and had a lush heaven room with morning trance leading to chillout and a fantastic hell room with techno leading to gabba! It was an ace concept but not quite to my musical tastes.

I didn't know which word to use, sorry about that :blink:

Don't worry, gaywhale (loves whale dick :lol: [sorry just love that sig]) has no idea what is psychedelic! Even with such an open concept where just about any answer is right, his is wrong :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Steppenwolf is very good. End is a trip and a lot of fun. Personally, I like Glass Bead Game and Narcisuss and Goldmund better. And Siddhartha of course! All of his books deal with the same themes though, dual natures, coping with reality, Eastern themes...

• 2 weeks later...

It had a few interesting things to say, but most of the book seemed to have some cryptic meanings (I'm giving the author the benefit of the doubt here) and I couldn't be bothered looking for analyses or trying to decipher it myself, since I wasn't overly impressed with the book to start with.

• 10 months later...
Guest Blackbird

the steppenwolf was written by H.H while he was

diagnosed schitzophreny and under pasycological treatment.

Every figure in the book , represents one alter ego of HH himself.

the main figure thinks he is just splitted in 2 parts.

the wolf , and the civilized person. but finds out that hes mux more polifacetical than thougt.

the book is highly psychedelic , becouse it describes the inner path of learning of HH.

master work imo.

big hug