Psyreviews is coming back!

murphythecat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Good news indeed, I will have to check the site on a regular basis. :posford:

Since Shahar decided to literally fucked up what rest of the psytrance scene with his lame idea of reviewing pool including leeching reviews, asking for temporary exclusivity for Isratrance from the reviewers , claiming some goodies will be decerned to the reviewers pool, the come-back of Psyreviews is that sort of counterweight versus Isratrance review's pool.

Since Shahar decided to literally fucked up what rest of the psytrance scene with his lame idea of reviewing pool including leeching reviews, asking for temporary exclusivity for Isratrance from the reviewers , claiming some goodies will be decerned to the reviewers pool, the come-back of Psyreviews is that sort of counterweight versus Isratrance review's pool.

? .. :unsure: .. :rolleyes: .. :clapping:

come on man, whats with the fed-up attitude? I know replying might burn me but I'm in that pool of mud you call reviews getting music from Isra, and I think it's kinda shpaa..

I guess I could defend and break and elaborate, but I'm to stoned

either way, psyreviews is good with words and loads of respect to his opinions and style!!

check out some reviews of mine on Isratrance.com and http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

? .. :unsure: .. :rolleyes: .. :clapping:

come on man, whats with the fed-up attitude? I know replying might burn me but I'm in that pool of mud you call reviews getting music from Isra, and I think it's kinda shpaa..

I guess I could defend and break and elaborate, but I'm to stoned

either way, psyreviews is good with words and loads of respect to his opinions and style!!

check out some reviews of mine on Isratrance.com and http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

All without exceptions, reviews posted on isratrance.com (the site not the forum) are lame by the simple principle of cautioning the commercial drifts from Isratrance, i let you think or not about it.

Engrish prz?

No offence to damion, but it seems that he reopened his site only to mock bad releases.

That was funny 2 years ago, but IMO not anymore.

What's the point to review and spend time and energy for Alien vs The Cat remix album, since anyone knows it's crap?

I'm not saying that he must review only stuff he likes (if he likes something), but reviewing shit releases just for the fun of it, it's not that entertaining or informative.

He should name his site to comedypsy.com or something.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

No offence to damion, but it seems that he reopened his site only to mock bad releases.

Huh? Of the 14 releases reviewed on the front page, 9 are positive and 2 are mixed. Only 3 consist of mocking bad releases.

That was funny 2 years ago, but IMO not anymore.

Erm...

That review is funny as hell :lol:

?

Damion is an odd little character who's not as funny as he thinks he is.

I don't know how funny he thinks he is, but IMO he's pretty darn funny. Actually I mainly read psyreviews for the comedy, since I don't usually like the same stuff as he does anyway.

Beats the boring always "political correct" reviews from people being afraid of not receiving any more promos if they step aside the "we love it oh so much to dead" reviews.

It's refreshing and I agree with most his reviews too.

If only more people would review more critical it would make artists and labels more critical of their own releases (I recon).

Some people in general argue that people should only review music they like. But I disagree. No one would learn a thing from it and we’ve already seen the result of years of one sided sugar sweet reviews. No constructive critisism. Only more and more “killarghhh” reviews to feed the labels and artists interests instead of letting them know maybe they ought to have been more critical before releasing the latest tune.

Well I did find his review on 10 Years Of Communication funny, and I do agree that we don't need any more killargh-promo review, but IMO a site called psyreviews should be more informative and less sarcastic, just for the sake to be.

Like psyreviews was 4-5 years ago.

And let's face it. A review that mock a poppy full on album isn't that helpful, since I doubt that the people who're gonna buy it read reviews at the first place. ;)

Well I did find his review on 10 Years Of Communication funny, and I do agree that we don't need any more killargh-promo review, but IMO a site called psyreviews should be more informative and less sarcastic, just for the sake to be.

Like psyreviews was 4-5 years ago.

And let's face it. A review that mock a poppy full on album isn't that helpful, since I doubt that the people who're gonna buy it read reviews at the first place. ;)

There are plenty of informative reviews on his site and positive too.

I find the "mocking" very informative as he is extremely good at expressing his views inside the "mocking". And I know for a start I would never bother to listen to it. The excuse that nobody would read his review because they would buy it before is not valid. I can assure you that his reviews are well visited. Also newcomers referred by friends. And they are the ones that could need a warning sign ;)

His sarcastic spot on reviews are more than welcome in a scene where almost every review kiss a**.

Guest antic

Well, IMO there are two main issues with his reviews:

1) He only seems to be reviewing what he receives for free, therefore is missing a lot of new and - potentially - good releases; just to mention all the 'neo old-school' stuff, most of darkpsy, etc. As I see it, the job of a reviewer is to check and post comments on the releases that people are (potentially) interested in, but unfortunately due to him basing only on free stuff, his selection seems very random, with a lot of releases that no one cares about, i.e. the comps he recently reviewed - I completely agree with Ormion here, that the sort of people that usually buy them don't read his reviews and those that do, wouldn't bother buying this stuff anyway because they know better. So, what's left is a comedy factor, which is good and all, but not very informative.

2) I know tastes are like asses, but I find a lot of his reviews to be random, as if he was under some sort of 'influence'. He often seems to be very polarised - either he LOVES or HATES the release, without anything much in between. He can hear and praise stuff that's not there (where the fuck are those acid runs in Tron's debut album?!) and totally ignores other releases, because they're different than he imagined them to be (e.g. Cosmosis' 'Psychedelica Melodica', last up-tempo Eat Static album etc.), completely ignoring the fact that they're head and shoulders above majority of currently released stuff! In the end, amongst many good and fair reviews, there's a lot of unfair hype and bashing. Which, again, is cool for the comedy factor, but completely confusing for the readers looking for informative review.

Psyreviews is a waste of time.

But I kinda think that about most review sites.

Really non of them are objective and don't really rate quality,

creativity or overall contribution to the music of our scene

but rather just reflect the reviewers preferences.

And IMO its not even good for a laugh anymore, just a waste of time.

Again, just my 2 cents.

I'd rather spend the time listening to the music and figuring out what I think of it

than to spend it reading someone elses thoughts when really they don't matter.

When you think about it, no one's opinion truly means anything but your own.

After all, its you who has to buy it and listen to it - so who cares what someone else thinks?

Especially when the review only really exists for bashing (in most cases)

And with darn near everything available to listen to, sample or download online,

you don't actually NEED reviews to decide what to try - its all out there at the click of a button.

Anyway - <rant_ended> sorry...

PsyON

I disagree.

Of course someone's review is subjective. Music is about taste, foremost, and taste is, yes people, believe it or not, subjective. Yes! Believe though as you might, there's no such thing as an objective review.

You can compare an album to their previous efforts, say something about how it evolved, about the quality, about style or genre, or about the sounds they used... but in the end the only thing that really matters is whether you would like it or not.

And I find that - if someone's reviews happen to coincide with my own taste more often than not - I am more inclined to take a certain album seriously or not. I mean, I am a whore in the sense that I'll listen to almost anything and am thus little deterred by reviews, but nonetheless...

Anyway, I don't think this was meant to be a topic about the value of reviewing, but about psyreviews. I for one am happy he's back. His taste doesn't always agree with mine, and I don't listen to a lot of trance anyway, but it's always an interesting read. If you don't care about it, don't read it. His thoughts on the music industry and promotion are very interesting and he's obviously given it a lot of thought. Don't really see what's wrong with that.

I do agree that he could review more interesting albums, and if he does only review the ones he's been given for free, he could consider reviewing albums that get a lot more attention. But where does antic get the idea that he doesn't review certain albums because they're different than he expected? Did you know his expectations? Did you know the reason he didn't review them? Really?

I don't know why this post is so long. Damion, keep on writing reviews, as a non-trance-lover I love spending time reading whatever you have to write. :)

I do agree that he could review more interesting albums, and if he does only review the ones he's been given for free, he could consider reviewing albums that get a lot more attention. But where does antic get the idea that he doesn't review certain albums because they're different than he expected? Did you know his expectations? Did you know the reason he didn't review them? Really?

It's a fact though that he reviews only a small fraction of the psy scene.

Either is gonna be cheesy full on, or progresiive 90% of the time.

Back in 2004 for example you could find reviews in his site about Parvati, Suomi stuff, SA, pretty much everything.

Again a site called psyreviews must have more diversity, no?

You can keep your comedy reviews (cause you do have a great humour), just give me a reason to visit the site more.

More reviews, more styles, something that really reflects the scene, even if you're bashing them all.

With all respect of course.