What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Finished the last part in the Humanity's Fire trilogy, The Ascendant Stars by Michael Cobley. Unfortunately there were simply too many loose threads towards the end, and I really struggled with keeping track of events - who's AI did what and who was at war with whom etc... The first book, Seeds of Earth, was definitely the best one of them. OK, back to Banks, it is...

Been reading a lot of theories on identity construction for my thesis lately so not that much time to read something else...

Earlier this year and end of last year I read all A Song of Ice and Fire books available, love them as I expected I would ^^

Probably going to start in A Brave New World by Huxley now and after that I'm going to start in The Thousand Autums of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell... And after that I've got another pile of books waiting to be read lol.

I also read Luca and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie end last year and I really recommend it! It's very imaginative, reads very smoothly and isn't long (As in readable in a day or three if you have the time).

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Read the novella Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, a work of fiction which in part helped him become a Nobel Prize laureate 1929. It's quite an interesting read which at times reminds me of J.M.G. Le Clézio's style.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

The plot of the work presents a great writer suffering writer's block who visits Venice and is liberated and uplifted, then increasingly obsessed, by the sight of a stunningly beautiful youth. Though he never speaks to the boy, much less touches him, the writer finds himself drawn deep into ruinous inward passion; meanwhile Venice, and finally the writer himself, succumb to a cholera plague. The novella is powerfully intertextual, with the chief sources being first the connection of erotic love to philosophical wisdom traced in Plato's Symposium and Phaedrus, and second the Nietzschean contrast between the god of restraint and shaping form, Apollo, and the god of excess and passion, Dionysus.

Posted Image

Read the novella Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, a work of fiction which in part helped him become a Nobel Prize laureate 1929. It's quite an interesting read which at times reminds me of J.M.G. Le Clézio's style.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

I may be mistaken, but I think this book became a movie in the 1980s. Quite melancholic if I remember well.

• 4 weeks later...

I read a few books at the moment. Most of them has some kind of root in cosmology.

Jonathan Safran Foer - Äta Djur (Eating Animals): A critical view into the meat industry.

http://www.adlibris....isbn=9113029894

Posted Image

Leif Pettersson - Physics, Martinus Cosmolgy and The Theory about Everything: This guy claims to have the answer to the theory about everything which combines all four known natural laws.

http://www.varldsbil...px?ProdNo=81410

Posted Image

Sören Grind - Livet - Din Spegel (Life - Your Mirror): A new take on psychology with roots in cosmology.

http://www.varldsbil...px?ProdNo=75744

Posted Image

Per Bruus-Jensen - Livet och det slutna rummet (Life and the closed room): Per has described the cosmology after 10 years as student with Martinus.

http://www.varldsbil...px?ProdNo=75991

Posted Image

Ole Therkelsen - Martinus, Darwin and Intelligent Design: This book brings up three evolutionary teachings.

http://www.varldsbil...px?ProdNo=75935

Posted Image

different authors: The Pole Transformation in Everyday Life

http://www.varldsbil...px?ProdNo=75772

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just finished Franskmenn - en bruksanvisning (Frenchmen - a user's guide) by Arne Bru. He's spent more than 15 years of his life living in France and with a touch of irony, this book discusses from a Scandinavian perspective what makes the Frenchmen French. Arne goes through topics such as large-city traffic and its non-existent set of rules, politics, food and drinks, famous actors and actresses and much more. Quite a lighthearted read but nonetheless entertaining.

• 1 month later...

I've read a lot of books by Simone de Beauvoir lately, also three parts of her biography. I like how she uses the language and her observations and thoughts about politics and society are very interesting. Now I started to re-read the Wheel of Time series. The German edition contains more than 30 books, the last two or three willbe published next year (or later, the last part in English will be published in January 2013). So far I'm at book number 5 and I have to say this is such an awesome story.

• 2 weeks later...

*I read "The Elegant Universe" again, and again the string theory does not sound solid to me. It is funny, I am a true believer of the multiverse theory, but can't accept the strings.

*Read again "The Hidden Life of Dogs", a funny book, good to make you laugh.

*Read "Memorias de Um Suicida" (Memoirs of A Suicidal) - a psychographed book true to its title: a description of the horrible afterlife of a suicidal. Mind you, it's not fiction, it's real. Or so it is for those who decide to read it, like me. The first forty pages are haunting, it is so scary that anyone thinking of the hard exit would give up after reading about the umbral.

Posted Image

Just finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Magic realism at its best - simply wonderful. Now reading the first book in the A Song of Fire and Ice series.

Kafka on the Shore is indeed a fantastic book and you're in for a treat with A Song of Fire and Ice!

Kafka on the Shore is indeed a fantastic book and you're in for a treat with A Song of Fire and Ice!

I'm happy to hear that, IronSun. I look forward to immersing myself in George R.R. Martin's world. I usually don't read much fantasy at all as I have a predilection for science-fiction, so I see this as an experiment - perhaps I'll get hooked. We'll see. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished A Games of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin. I felt like it was a bit dull at times - just intrigues building up but not that much happening, really - but after 500 pages or thereabouts it really took off. Will happily dive into the second novel shortly; I'll just finish another novel I picked up last night for a bit of variation. :-) Anyone looking forward to the new Iain M. Banks novel? I heard it's supposed to come out soon.

Just finished Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Interesting book, not my kind of ideology or way of looking at things, but certainly very stimulating, very imaginative.

I agree with you, i've read a lot of mr Hesse, he was a really enlightened being in my opinion.

In these day i'm reading some books from Kalil Gibran.

"the profet" it's a very vast collection of views about the human experience!

highly recommended for all ! :)

Carlos Castaneda - The Wheel Of Time

Very slowly... as not to miss anything...

Finished it... the last line was a big one...

Now I am reading:

Armando Torres - Encounters with Nagual

• 1 month later...

Have read a couple of stories lately. Reread 'The Voyage' by Katherine Mansfield about two months ago just before I crossed the Cook Strait, on which this short story centers. Quite a short story, really, and I enjoyed it a lot more now than I did when I first read it at university.

Got Philip K. Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electroc Sheep?' for my birthday. Awesome read that really gets your mind going. Then read 'A Clash of Kings', the second novel in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Not quite as good as the first novel in the series, but I've given the third installment a go as well. Lots of reading on the road and where I'm at right now there are well sorted bookstores on every corner.