What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

• 4 weeks later...

I feel I must slag off the utter shite I am reading now.

You should try some true modern sci-fi then :)

Peter F. Hamilton for example... great writer, but huge books, but some great space opera!

---

I am reading Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space at the moment and so far I'm very pleased :) Another king of space opera!:ph34r:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Robert Wilson - Quantum Psychology How Brain Software Programs you and Your World

How did you find this one Time_Trap? A while back I picked up a number of Robert Anton Wilson's books. A few months ago I read The Illuminatus! Trilogy, which I really enjoyed. Being a bit of a sucker for conspiracies that was a great read. And it works on multiple levels too in terms of telling a story but encoding all these different concepts and ideas in the story. One of those books you feel like you could read several times and continue picking up new things from. Of course there are so many books to read and only so much time so it is always a dilemma: re-read something because you love it, or will learn more from it, or move onto something new?

I also got the Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy - similar to Illuminatus in being fiction designed to make you think, and Prometheus Rising, which is more in the vein of the one you read as it is about how the human mind works and what you can do to make the most of it. I'm yet to read these.

• 1 month later...

On to A Brave New World now. The 3rd chapter was a bit off putting but I am enjoying it so far.

I liked the whole dystopia in 1984 but being a lover of dystopian settings I found myself in love with the society & the party and against the main protagonist.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Steven Erikson - The Crippled God. Final book of the Malazan series, which is my favourite fantasy series! (Atleast favourite complete series :P)

• 3 months later...

I recently finished Torkel Franzén's Godel's Theorem: An Incomplete Guide to Its Use and Abuse and can thoroughly recommend it. I'm now trying to read Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico Philosophicus for the nth time. I've made it further than on previous attempts, but I still think it's a load of crap.

I'm now trying to read Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico Philosophicus for the nth time. I've made it further than on previous attempts, but I still think it's a load of crap.

Simply, as far as I remember,

"Every proposition is a statement, not every statement is a proposition."

Which basically seems to me to mean, just because you say something doesn't mean it is true, or bears any semblemence to reality.

Simply, as far as I remember,

"Every proposition is a statement, not every statement is a proposition."

Which basically seems to me to mean, just because you say something doesn't mean it is true, or bears any semblemence to reality.

I don't think it means that - Wittgenstein explicitly refers to the possibility of a proposition being false (e.g. 3.24). But then I don't think I'd take anyone's word for what Wittgenstein really meant, since Russell himself had completely misunderstood it according to Wittgenstein. My own reading of the distinction between propositions and statements are that propositions are supposed to be atomic whereas statements can be built from propositions using logical connectives. But his writing is so horribly unclear that I could be completely wrong about that.

I don't think it means that - Wittgenstein explicitly refers to the possibility of a proposition being false (e.g. 3.24). But then I don't think I'd take anyone's word for what Wittgenstein really meant, since Russell himself had completely misunderstood it according to Wittgenstein. My own reading of the distinction between propositions and statements are that propositions are supposed to be atomic whereas statements can be built from propositions using logical connectives. But his writing is so horribly unclear that I could be completely wrong about that.

It could well of been the 'ther way round.

"Every statement is a proposition, not every proposition is a statement."

I did want to look it up in my copy, but it is buried in the loft, and I had to go by memory.

But it was a convoluted read, and I suspect there are better books out there that say similar things as succiently but more clearly.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series again. The last book should be out this fall so I need to start now to get through the first 13 books again by then.

i have always wanted to read that series but can never find book1 ..and i'm not getting anymore until i do.

I am reading 100 Years of Solitude ..its a very interesting magikal book!

I think pretty much everyone is reading the new SOIAF book "Dance with Dragons" It's been delayed 5 years and people have been dying to read it.

I just finished reading Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, the one which spawned the cyberpunk genre - great stuff. Thinking of reading some PKD...tried "Flow My Tears...." but was kinda disappointed. Going to try either "V.A.L.I.S." or "The Three Stigmata...". Anyone got any recommendations?

i have always wanted to read that series but can never find book1 ..and i'm not getting anymore until i do

Pretty easy to find on the interwebs if you don't mind ebooks.