What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

I've started reading Robert Musil's (1880 - 1942) "Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften" ("The Man without Qualities"). It's one monumental piece of literature, spread over 3 parts, totalling in roughly 2000 narrow-printed pages; and it is incomplete, the guy died before he could finish it, after having worked on it for more than 20 years. After his death though, some driven German philologists constructed the last part of it out of loose material and notes they found in Musil's legacy.

It'll take me around 2 months, I guess ;)

Great book. Not as difficult as his other stuff. And the movie, I found, actually does the book justice.

Have this in my mind for a longer time. So, Have you ever thought of comparment of MARS with the main "villain" of the story represented by Jorge? Nemo is out of question, cause there is a more problem of Dyslexia than the violation of some set of ideas or beliefs. But lets look at the Mars case: dictatorship and oppression of the freedom of speech when sticky question arise: no bashing, no confrontation, no fights. Peace at any costs. Secondly, no hesitation for killing the community to retain the order?? and finally: total hostility towards any kind of not arranged laughter, humor is evil because it disregard the rules and directly leads to Reger's sexual orientation and watersports. I know that we can not compare intellectual background, but is also not much out of steer to see Mars as a bigot Catholic, or we can stick with the Nemo case; Dyslexia with the slight mental retardation?

• 2 weeks later...

Rene Guenon - Perspectives on Initiation (few pages left)

Julius Evola, Mircea Eliade, Frithjof Schuon and the rest are on the way.

Haruki Murakami - After Dark

I really like the writing of Murakami. The English translations though are better as English is a much more beautiful language than Japanese :ph34r:

Haruki Murakami - After Dark

I really like the writing of Murakami. The English translations though are better as English is a much more beautiful language than Japanese :ph34r:

Murakami is awesome! I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last year and just read Kafka on the Shore and loved them both.

After Dark is a newer one, right? How was it?

Murakami is awesome! I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last year and just read Kafka on the Shore and loved them both.

After Dark is a newer one, right? How was it?

I have just started it so I can't comment on the whole but it is so far so good. It has Murakami's detailed descriptions of the mundane that just seems to make everything sparkle and 2 chapters in, something really odd is happening :ph34r:

Still on 'A Farewell to Arms'. I'm loving the dialogue; it's very unreal and clearly edited a thousand million times to create that characteristic flow but it just doesn't matter in the end because it makes it such a joy to read. Taking my sweet time with this one but if there was nothing else going on in my life right now I know I'd have finished it in a couple of days. Great book.

To be honest I have far too many books I need to read before I buy anything else and my wishlist grows like my music wish list :(

:rolleyes: I know that feeling too well...

Mostly I forbid myself from specifically going out to buy books and instead just wander into charity shops every now and again and buy what I like. Keeps the costs down and leaves fantastic random find opportunities. I should even stop doing that though really until I've whittled my way through the ones I've already aquired.

Just started Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance

gripping from the get go! how he manages to make such mundane everyday things into such trippy literature I can't fathom. I am just glad he can :)

• Like 1

Cambridge companion to Descartes - one of the best in the series. There is just so little to disagree with. Some minor issue concerning naive physic, but no difficulty of possib. of smooth advacement. Nature to be our part of divine play....

Cambridge companion to Descartes - one of the best in the series. There is just so little to disagree with. Some minor issue concerning naive physic, but no difficulty of possib. of smooth advacement. Nature to be our part of divine play....

Definitely love Descartes! One of my favs.

Descartes can suck my ass for what he did to the Western world.

Still, Math and geometry as a backbone of others temples. Nothing is contradictory. Spinoza's determinism is even more fatal...