What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

Time to get this subforum alive, you guys wanted it damned! :D

So ok, in my case, the scriptures of Benedictus of Assisi, soon I hope to finish it and start in Dante - La Divina Comedia (the divine comedy) :-)

• Like 1

David Payne : Confessions of a Taoist on Wall Street

about an abandoned child who is rasied by Taoist monks and then finds out that his father is an american multi-billionaire and goes to work on Wall Street. Half-way through and I must say it's very good :)

Hans Lenk - Macht und Machbarkeit der Technik (power and feasibility of technics)

sounds a bit watery and neutral ... I've chosen to only read the part where inforamtion systems are concerned ... especially the subject whether information systems can be made responsible for moral, ethnical and whatever decisions or not, that one interests me a lot...

David Payne : Confessions of a Taoist on Wall Street

about an abandoned child who is rasied by Taoist monks and then finds out that his father is an american multi-billionaire and goes to work on Wall Street. Half-way through and I must say it's very good :)

Sounds a bit cliched to me.

I just finished reading Asimov's 1st and 2nd Galactic series, finally ticked them off since I'd already read Foundation ages ago and reading Foundation first is a bit like jumping the gun. Before that O'Henry's short stories, before that the 8th Malazan book.

Sounds a bit cliched to me.

I just finished reading Asimov's 1st and 2nd Galactic series, finally ticked them off since I'd already read Foundation ages ago and reading Foundation first is a bit like jumping the gun. Before that O'Henry's short stories, before that the 8th Malazan book.

oh because you know of other books with a similar plot? lol

oh because you know of other books with a similar plot? lol

In the sense you can come up with any number of these 'plots'

Boy raised by Vietnamese parents suddenly picked up by the CIA who say he's the son of a crack CIA agent and a Vietcong intelligence operative. Now its the 21st century and the war on terror and they need his father's skills....

Orphan raised in some monastery finds out that he's the heir of an ancient order of Templar Knights and he must safeguard a secret that threatens all of Christianity (this is Dan Brown/Indiana Jones style)

etc etc...

In the sense you can come up with any number of these 'plots'

Boy raised by Vietnamese parents suddenly picked up by the CIA who say he's the son of a crack CIA agent and a Vietcong intelligence operative. Now its the 21st century and the war on terror and they need his father's skills....

Orphan raised in some monastery finds out that he's the heir of an ancient order of Templar Knights and he must safeguard a secret that threatens all of Christianity (this is Dan Brown/Indiana Jones style)

etc etc...

ah yes now that you put it that way ;)

George Orwell - 1984

After all these years i finally got down to reading this classic again and it makes much more sense than the first attempt. About big brother and his totalitarianism regime with all the brainwashing and manipulation of info that comes part and parcel. I'm taking my time with it absorbing the author's brilliant ideas and style of writing.

Currently reading "Dreams of a Final Theory" by Steven Weinberg. It's about scientists' search for the final theory of physics and nature. Quite interesting, but I think his style is a bit arrogant.

I'm reading Dostoyevsky right now... just finished "The Idiot".

The Brothers Karamazov is great. Thats his only book I've read though.

Just finished Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. Interesting book, not my kind of ideology or way of looking at things, but certainly very stimulating, very imaginative.

For such a short book, that one really had the most impact on my life of any book I've ever read. I've read a lot in the spiritual/religious/realm of consciousness vein, but none have been as influential as Siddhartha.

inner paths to outerspace- strassman

I have DMT: The Spirit Molecule, and enjoyed it. How is this one?

At the moment, I'm reading Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan, book 9 of the Wheel of Time series. I read this series at least once a year.

Next up on the plate are South of no North by Charles Bukowski, a book lent to me by a friend who assures me I'll like it. We'll see. I don't remember what she said it is about. Also on the plate are a couple of electronic circuit design books, one about op-amp designs and one about filter designs. Not quite as exciting, but necessary.

I also was just thinking yesterday that it's been too long since I've read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading "The Sea-Crossed Fisherman" by Yashar Kemal. Quite an original writing style :clapping:

Now I'm reading "Measured Tones - The Interplay of Physics and Music" by Ian Johnston. Also thinking of starting Hesse's "Steppenwolf" or Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums" soon. Damn, I wish I could read more and faster....

I'm reading all books from Karin Slaughter at the moment, I love her writing style a lot, I allready finnished 3 of them in the last month, damn good writer imo.

I'm busy in 3 books at the moment, The Kite Runner, very beautiful and capturing tale, I need to read the book before I'll see the film, otherwise I won't read it anymore, that would be a shame,I had it with Hannibal, I was reading it, and then I saw the film in the middle of the book, and quit reading it, the same with The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco, need to read this one first, it's complicated to read, but very good, and Fractured by Karin Slaughter, I like it but what I've read before from her I liked better though.