What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

Metro 2034 : same universe as Metro 2033 (already read), different story. For those who don't know the plot, that's a post apocalyptic and SF book where, during an atomic apocalypse, some people took shelter in the Moscow Metro and try to survive and recreate a society. Nicely written book, a little hard to understand at the beginning with all these stations and Russian names though.

• Like 1

I really really have to adapt to my new lifestyle (working full time). I'm still buying records and books in the same pace but I've got considerable less time to sit back relax and immerse.

+1

Finally got War and Peace along with Crime and Punishment. Been meaning to get the books from the library for a while now but keep forgetting. I luckily stumbled into a bookstore and remembered about the books and got them both for cheap. Can't wait to read them. But damn is War and Peace really long.

both are great, i´ve read it long time ago (highschool). crime and punishment is psychedelia all the way. war and peace is kool if you like RPG :P

to stay ontopic: not reading at the moment, but for long time i have in my aim Jules Verne and his Mysterious Island, and From The Earth To The Moon, would like to refurbish my memories now when I´m a grown up man.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wolfgang Jeschke - The Cusanus Game

Time-travelling post-apocalyptic drama stuff it seems.

Translated but overall good and hopefully interesting once it gets going.

Has its tweaks as I thought I'd fumbled with the know-where-I-am strip as I started reading a passage I knew I had read before until I realized it wasn't entirely the same only to about 99%.

That is one of very few books (if not the only trilogy) I'm seriously thinking about re-reading. I remember Gibson being rather childish but with a poetic rhetorical language. The books wasn't making much sense but the prose was/is really unique. I should give it another chance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Clive Barker - Imajica

Read this over the last week and a half (all 800+ pages, jeez) Not a big fan of fantasy but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Psychedelia, theology, light amounts of science fiction and a bit of horror. If you like Michael Moorcock's Elric books or the later PKD (Valis trilogy in particular) you'll like this too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading a lot of Theosophy books. The foundation of modern spirituality. The Secret Doctrine is amazing, but to get a clear picture, one should first get some idea of the history of the Theosophical movement, etc. So, some Sinnett (Occult World, Esoteric Buddhism) comes into the picture. Some biography of H. P. Blavatsky. And a ton of others (fortunately most of it is in public domain now, and I love reading scanned pdf-copies of old books).

Also, I. Regardie's The Tree of Life (great introduction to magic, I hear), and Glenn H. Mullin's The Practice of Kalachakra (awesome book on buddhism; the author had translated original Tibetan texts under the guidance of the Tibetan Buddhist priests, and quotes freely from them; also, gives a good picture of the history of Buddhism in Tibet and the overall scheme of the Buddhist ideas; great book on Buddhism, imo, even for a near beginner, like I am).

• 2 weeks later...

Clive Barker - Imajica

Read this over the last week and a half (all 800+ pages, jeez) Not a big fan of fantasy but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Psychedelia, theology, light amounts of science fiction and a bit of horror.

One of my favorite books!

I just started Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card. It takes place between the first two Ender books. Pretty good so far, unlike the prequel books which are mostly written by some other dude from Card's ideas.

• 3 weeks later...