What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished Analog Days: The Invention And Impact Of The Moog Synthesizer. It's a decent book for those interested in the history of electronic music and (especially) the people behind it. Most of it is biographical, not for tech heads, and I wish the authors had dug a little deeper in some parts, but as someone who isn't really technical themselves I appreciated it.

• 4 weeks later...

@Tatsu

"ah! you are still on.

my sincerest apologies for not replying in an ordered matter in the topic, thused made a reply a month and a half after your last post in the topic."

I'm right now reading the sequel World Without An End. :)

• 1 month later...

Just finished The Apocalypse Codex, the 4th book in the Laundry Files series by Charles Stross.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Codex-Charles-Stross/dp/0356500985/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

The LF series follows a computer geek recruited by a British agency (the Laundry) focused on the occult and supernatural defense. The books are a humorous mashup of Lovecraft, science fiction, and spy thrillers.

Nothing profound, just fun to read.

Try the 1st book, The Atrocity Archives, to see if you might be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Atrocity-Archives-Laundry-Files-Novel/dp/0441016685/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398008696&sr=1-4&keywords=charles+stross

• 2 weeks later...

it's an william gibsonesque early 90s era adaptation of an x-men world war II...

combine gibsons beginners stuttering one liners sentences and you'll get the picture. It's not all that bad, but you can stay clear of this one without any problems to your existance at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Humanity's Fire is a complete trainwreck in my opinion. It's got so much influences all over I can hardly keep track, he must have gotten into deep Avatar frenzy there. Have a go with gavin smith instead ( http://www.gavingsmith.com/ ). His books Veteran and War In Heaven completely blew my head right of my shoulder, still trying to find it...

just finished of

tumblr_inline_mp3uy3WdlL1qz4rgp.jpg

You is fun!

&

lexicon-pb-u110.png

Which is Dan Simmons Carrion Comfort all over again... been there, but it's OK for getting time to run smoother.

&

Mental%20Biology_cover_opt.jpg

Thought it would be more of an eye opener but not really. Mostly ideas being discussed...

Reading

star_trek_the_original_series_serpents_i

back to the cheese...

• 5 weeks later...

Humanity's Fire is a complete trainwreck in my opinion. It's got so much influences all over I can hardly keep track, he must have gotten into deep Avatar frenzy there.

I thought that the first novel was rather good whereas the following two were at times perceived as quite dull with few interesting moments. I'd recommend anyone who's started to scratch on the surface of this type of space opera to get immersed in Iain M. Banks' novels instead (The Player of Games is one of my favourites).

On a different note, I just finished reading Arthur C. Clarke's The Hammer of God. Clarke's ability to offer what feels like a plausible peek into the future is simply mind-boggling and still accessible.

158403.jpg

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.

I think this is the first fictional book I've ever read that was not fantastical in some way. I generally go for the fantasy or sci-fi, but a friend recommended this one. He said it's basically just a fictional story about regular stuff. I'm pretty skeptical, but my friend said it was good so I'm giving it a shot.

So far it's written in first person, telling about the narrator's life involving a schizophrenic twin brother who cut off his own hand as a sacrifice, and a mother who died of cancer. I'm doubting I'll finish it unless something really far out happens in the next 50 pages or so.

• 4 weeks later...

I see.

What, you don't have one of those? :P

I gave up on that book. Too boring.

I just finished Dies The Fire by S.M. Stirling. Pretty awesome! Electricity and explosives stop working, shoving us back into bascially a medieval technological level, and it's the story about certain groups learning to deal with the new reality and organizing into little micro-societies. It's a pretty exciting read, and interesting, and I have to admit that part of what I like so much about it is that it's based in the area where I live. Almost no books/shows/movies ever take place in my area. It's just kind of cool to read a book and be able to perfectly picture how the scene looks, because I know the exact road or area or whatever it's talking about. Just started the second book of the series.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got War and Peace along with Crime and Punishment. Been meaning to get the books from the library for a while now but keep forgetting. I luckily stumbled into a bookstore and remembered about the books and got them both for cheap. Can't wait to read them. But damn is War and Peace really long.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just got a copy of this:

41IvatfTpaL.jpg

Looks pretty damn interesting. Don't know when I'll find time to read it though.

Great Rotwang!

I wish I had gotten better classes on physics in college and Field Theory while I was pursuing engineering graduation.

I'm currently reading this classic:

"100 Years Of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really really have to adapt to my new lifestyle (working full time). I'm still buying records and books in the same pace but I've got considerable less time to sit back relax and immerse.

Just now trying to read some, guilty pleasure, Star Trek books to get them out of the way for some of the more interesting ones I've got from Paolo Bacigalupi Dan Simmons Neal Stephenson Katzuaki Takano Tony Gonzales.

Tony Daniel - Savage Trade (TOS)