What books are you reading now?

Anoebis

What a pile of pretentious nonesense. This idea of the separation of good humans from bad humans is one of the vilest in human history. I assume that those that "didn't do their best" primarily are those that did not buy the biblical doctrine?

Understand as you wish, but there's no Bible involved, or any religion, culture, backgrounds. The only thing involved is what we call "conscience". Our best judge.

I've never joined in this thread but here goes:

I've also just re-read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep. Far better than the movie adaptation, which I've always thought was way over rated but I'll probably get shot down for saying that! Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie but it ruins the original story.

I'm just reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Quite odd and very funny. Basically about the coming of the anti-christ, which gets messed up by a bunch of Satanist Nuns. A demon and an angel get together to stop the apocalypse from happening as they both have a good deal going on living on the Earth.

• 1 month later...

Just got a copy of Rudolf Carnap's The Logical Structure of the World and Pseudoproblems in Philosophy. No idea when I'll find time to read it though.

• 4 weeks later...

Gavin Smith - The Age Of Scorpio

Still trying to wrap my head around whats happening... Veteran and War In Heaven, his two earlier books, are some serious shit. Hopefully this one will live up to it.

William Gibson - Virtual Light

The first book in his second cyberpunk trilogy. His imagination is steaming as usual but he still retains that stuttering dialog where everyone is simply talking in metaphors and gimmicky one-liners, it's quite frustrating. He (Gibson that is) is showing great signs of growth in his writing style, the culmination of that growth truly shines through in his latest trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History) which also is his best.

• 4 weeks later...

Have undertaken the mission to read the great SciFi classics... So far I've read:

• Hyperion by Dan Simmons: great The Canterbury Tales - like construction of the narrative, enjoyed it a lot. Quite abstract in some of it concepts, focused mainly around pain. Definitely worth the read.
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson: awesome. Very 'fast' and techy feel, kaleidoscopic descriptions of cyberspace, all before the internet came into existence as we know it.
  • Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick: Classic, also bought the director's cut blu-ray of Blade Runner...The soundtrack and atmosphere still amaze me.
  • The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick: Psychedelic but rather dark trip, Dick had a very ominous kind of perspective on the future... Uneasiness is the keyword here. Definitely recommended though.
  • Dune by Frank Herbert: Still on this one. Wondering by myself how in god's name I've waited so long for something this good. Stunningly imaginative.

It's been a great trip so far :D Oh, in the meantime I've also read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell... A future classic, no doubt. And Logis in einem Landhaus by W.G. Sebald, beautifully melancholic. I'm on a roll!

Just ordered Dune (as it was not available in any of the stores either physical or online here in india ) along with Infinte jest (again some issue) from Amazon. Paid crazy shipping made worse by the dollar exchange rate these days but I guess they are both worth it. :wub:

The book I'm readin now is Proust's In search of lost time.

I started first volume 5 years ago and had much difficulty in going through the book. Have read first 3 volumes, but didn't enjoy it much. As there is almost none of action and very, very long sentences which is hard to understand what idea author wants to express. On 4th book I've given up, but now after couple of years I returned to it and to my surprise I have a good time with it, so maybe I'll finish the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Vernor Vinge - Zones Of Thought (Omnibus of 'Fire' & 'Deepness')

It's absolutly not good. Don't know how this one has won awards at all. Apart from being extremely cute it's just boring and not crossing any boarders or horizons of the mental box.

Still getting through Gavin Smiths Scorpion. I still don't get it!!! The book is cool as fuck, but I don't know what he is getting at. Damn it!

• 3 months later...

Man, I have several books that I need to get going with that I haven't touched in some time. But I am mostly reading Federic Bastiat's The Law. Some interesting stuff. I plan on getting some more books soon, when I have some free time from college and work.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL... when it comes to books I also have Terence McKenna The Food of the Gods... but I loaned it away to a friend along with Darren Aronofskys PI movie. I'm an idiot! He doesn't answer my calls anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading this

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13632835-betrayer

Aaron Dembski Bowden is actually a very strong writer and has drawn me in with all his novels that I have read. This one about mindless beserkers could have been awful but I'm really enjoying it a lot.