that bass sound

just wanting to know how to get that bass sound u hear in lots of breakdown sections of psytrance. its sound to me like a slide bass.

example

here is an example. the song is 'analyzer - fluffy' plus i added a bit of the the track 'eskimo - nothings good enough'

at about 35 second u can hear the sound im talking about.

are they using the slide function or is there another way of doing it??

Not shure but maybe with the envelope pitch in Vanguard VSTi??? Either that or a normal pitch or portamento (glide).. Just play around with those things for a start :)

(sad thing Jikkentekki and Colin never answer to these questions, they MUSTT know how it's done)

Not shure but maybe with the envelope pitch in Vanguard VSTi??? Either that or a normal pitch or portamento (glide).. Just play around with those things for a start :)

(sad thing Jikkentekki and Colin never answer to these questions, they MUSTT know how it's done)

thanks mate. i ment the glide function. dont know why i called it slide. i dont have vanguard. i use albino 3 & absynth 4 for my basses. but ill have a muck around today with what u suggested n see what i can come up with.

thanks mate. i ment the glide function. dont know why i called it slide. i dont have vanguard. i use albino 3 & absynth 4 for my basses. but ill have a muck around today with what u suggested n see what i can come up with.

I mix that up as well sometimes... But s/g-lide basically means the same thing doesn't it? :)

There are a number of ways you can do such sliding effects, but the "glide" (some synths may use a different name for the same thing) method is probably the most common.

As an example I whipped this crappy little loop up HERE. Maybe not the best sounding example, but you get the point.

Generally speaking the key to to have your notes overlapping some as in this picture. Using the glide control method, if your notes don't overlap they will sound out normally, but if the tail of one overlaps another it will slide up or down to the next note.

Posted Image

I used Albino in this example (controls located on the bottom right) You'll generally want single or mono voices here. Then mess with your glide settings until you get something you like.

Posted Image

Hopefully that is at least a little helpful

cool thanks heaps mate. just another quick question. in the 'glide' section on the albino there is some numbers u can increase & decrease. i see u have urs set on seven. im just wondering what that is for?? i had a muck around with them but couldn't seem to hear any difference when the glide is set to 'on'

cool thanks heaps mate. just another quick question. in the 'glide' section on the albino there is some numbers u can increase & decrease. i see u have urs set on seven. im just wondering what that is for?? i had a muck around with them but couldn't seem to hear any difference when the glide is set to 'on'

To be honest I was just randomly messing with stuff until I got something that worked to my ear. I probably clicked it a few times without paying much attention. (lol)

• 2 weeks later...

What does working with softsynths have to do with not knowing about the slide function?

Since if you press two keys on a monophonic synth you get slide.

A lot of polyphonic digital synths could be set to monophonic too.

only someone who has never touched a synth that has monophonic ability wouldn't know about the great slide feature they have.

I suspect I waiste my time here.

only someone who has never touched a synth that has monophonic ability wouldn't know about the great slide feature they have.

the question was more to do with how to achieve that sound. not how do u use the glide function.

personal i find some soft synth are more fiddle to use the glide function on. the subtractor in reason is really easy but i find sylenth1 is a lot harder to achive the same effect.

also after mucking around with this for a while ive found that auto-mating the filter cut-off has achieved a more satisfying effect for me.

Uhm cant see how learning about portamento has anything to do with the software vs. hardware debate... a look in the soft synth manual will learn you how to make a glide. No need for having some old analog beast for that... Softsynths can often be switched to mono mode as well btw :rolleyes:

Please cut the arrogance... You are the best because you have touched and own a "real" monophonic synth :blink: And everyone who uses softsynths are stupid??

Who cares really, Frosty was asking a question, not asking for a lesson in monophonic synths...

And yes, you are wasting your time since no one here isn't familiar with the slide/glide/portamento or whatever it is called, Frosty (and me) just wasn't shure wether this was the "right" way to make that given effect

I found out this stuff by accident. I didn't know what to call it at first, just that cool sound.

I still have to point out that the music comes out different depending on the setup you use.

From hardware to Acid to Friutyloops and then to Logic now to Sonar there is a difference in the final thing.

I just got done watching a film from someone who poo poos digital video and only shows 16mm film projection.

---that's with a reel kids - weird yes!

I get arrogance every day almost :drama: but I deal with it.

I found out this stuff by accident. I didn't know what to call it at first, just that cool sound.

I still have to point out that the music comes out different depending on the setup you use.

From hardware to Acid to Friutyloops and then to Logic now to Sonar there is a difference in the final thing.

I just got done watching a film from someone who poo poos digital video and only shows 16mm film projection.

---that's with a reel kids - weird yes!

I get arrogance every day almost :drama: but I deal with it.

You get arrogance every day, so you have to spray it over the internet yourself.... nice Posted Image