Entry Level Mixer and Monitors

Looking for a good entry-level mixer and monitors combo. Simple, solid and inexpensive.

Some background: For several years I've been running my soundcard into a higher-end amp/receiver, and from there to high-end monitor headphones mostly, and occasionally home speakers for perspective. My receiver is finally starting to slip, and instead of repairing it, I thought maybe it's time to get a little more serious. But I'm on a budget, and I don't need super-mega-awesome equipment, just some solid entry-level stuff that is fairly accurate and will last some years. And I'm not a gear whore who enjoys features and gimmicks, but prefers quality and efficiency.

Also, all my instruments and effects are VSTs, and I plan to record and mix everything through Cubase. I just need a way to get my recorded audio from my computer to my ears as simply and authentically as possible for the best price. My range would be US$500-1000.

Opinions? Also maybe a good review site?

check the isratrance section for production. It has a pretty good topic about monitors.

I got the dynaudio bm6a 's with which i am very happy. It might be a little more expensive than what you're planning to spend. but if you are spending this kind of money it might be worth saving a little more for a really nice monitor system in stead of the 'nice' ones.. In any case get active monitors.

If you do everything in cubase why do you need a mixer?

check the isratrance section for production. It has a pretty good topic about monitors.

I got the dynaudio bm6a 's with which i am very happy. It might be a little more expensive than what you're planning to spend. but if you are spending this kind of money it might be worth saving a little more for a really nice monitor system in stead of the 'nice' ones.. In any case get active monitors.

I compared the adam A7 i just bought with the bm6a's down in the store... The price for the dynaudio was 400 US dollar MORE than the A7's, but the sound wasn't THAT much better IMO. The bass was a bit more smooth in the dynaudio, wich made the overall picture a little more dynamic, but the mid/highs was just as clear on the adams, so i just went with those :P I use them with a simple M-audio audiophile usb wich works like a charm... The interface have both speakers-/phone-out volume-knobs, so i don't need the mixer as I only use vst's as well :) ! But i'm a n00b at this, so i'm just commenting on what i know :)

Edit: Sorry Supergroove, it was the bm5a's I compared them with, guess your bm6a's is a bit better (but pretty expensive, with Otto's budget he can't even buy ONE speaker :P

Thanks. And yeah, I can just route the soundcard to the monitors, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking for a good entry-level mixer and monitors combo. Simple, solid and inexpensive.

Also, all my instruments and effects are VSTs, and I plan to record and mix everything through Cubase. I just need a way to get my recorded audio from my computer to my ears as simply and authentically as possible for the best price. My range would be US$500-1000.

Opinions? Also maybe a good review site?

I cannot say enough about how good Dynaudio monitors are. They are the best monitors I've every heard.

yes, but the dynaudio's are not in the 500-1000 $ range.

Although i think it would be better to save up.

And don't forget to do some accoustic treatment! Otherwise it doesnt really matter what monitors you are getting.