"Chillout" music

bwhale

It seems like most of this stuff has no structure. It is just floaty peaceful sounds, where the sounds don't build up to anything, there is not good rhythm or melodies. Sounds tend to just wander in and out of the music constantly and it goes nowhere and my mind wanders and I don't actually hear any of the music because it doesn't hold the attention at all. There is way too much emphasis put onto the minor details and the foreground of the track sucks balls.

So... is there anything that is actually similar to psychedelic trance, which this stuff *supposedly* grew out of?! I consider most of the "goambient" tracks on the oldschool goa trance CDs to be great chillout music.

Yes:

Chi-AD (chillout tracks obviously)

Chronos

DLS

Shakatura

Somewhat:

Ott (half the tracks maybe)

Terra Nine

The Kumba Mela Experiment

No:

Aes Dana

Asura

Bluetech

Carbon Based Lifeforms (exluding MOS # basically, maybe a few others)

Cell

Celtic Cross

Deep Dive Corp

Ekko

Ishq

Polyploid

Younger Brother (excluding Evil & Harm basically)

Ethnic crap:

Entheogenic

Shpongle (most of it)

Don't know?

Kaya Project

Mystical Sun

Solar Fields

Wombatmusic

I've sure there's a lot I don't know of, so maybe add your own lists. :)

Don't know?

Kaya Project

Mystical Sun

Solar Fields

Wombatmusic

You will hate Solar Fields with a vengeance.

Have you tried early Eat Static stuff? It's not chillout as such but they have produced some fantastic slower tracks on albums like 'implant'. If not then perhaps some dub inspired albums? They often have a lot more kick than much chillout (though they're not really anything like the goa-ambiant obviously). Try Killowatts 'Ground State' and Nagual Sound Experiment's 'Invisible Movements' maybe?

Oh, and Opus Iridium (second disk) B)

Each to their own tastes if you don't like the psy chill you've heard chances are you won't have much time for other stuff people sugest, you either like music or you don't.

for me chilled sounds (I hate the term chill out) are the real psychedelic music the warmth of the sounds and the rythmic ebb and flow, speak more to my body when I'm on acid than doof doof doof ever could.

Yes:

Chi-AD (chillout tracks obviously)

Chronos

DLS

Shakatura

Somewhat:

Ott (half the tracks maybe)

Terra Nine

The Kumba Mela Experiment

No:

Aes Dana

Asura

Bluetech

Carbon Based Lifeforms (excluding MOS # basically, maybe a few others)

Cell

Celtic Cross

Deep Dive Corp

Ekko

Ishq

Polyploid

Younger Brother (excluding Evil & Harm basically) [not really chillout]

Ethnic crap:

Entheogenic

Shpongle (most of it) [except for like the first album, Shpongle's not exactly chillout]

Don't know?

Kaya Project

Mystical Sun

Solar Fields

Wombatmusic [haven't heard this guy]

Well jeez. If you say no to those then I wouldn't know how you expect to find more "chillout" music without going into other genre/sub genres.

More into dub you may want to check out:

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious

Children of the Bong - Sirius Sounds

It doesn't sound like you really like too much chillout music. Or at least you are after a very specific style. Either way you are going to struggle finiding what you like.

try these tracks

1. Ra - Light Receiver

2. Intermix - Solar Temple

3. Astral Projection - Ambient Galaxy (Disco Valley Mix)

4. Cosmosis - Roswell

5. Goasia - Pray For Rain

6. Man With No Name - Azymuth

7. Filteria - Cloud Kingdom (Solar Fields Mix)

8. Aes Dana - Lysteria

9. Ra - Gates of Tiperath

10. Dimension 5 - Flow

11. Astral Projection - Still Dreaming (Anything Can Happen)

12. Jikkenteki - Ambiguity

13. Khetzal - Avasari

14. Mystery Of The Yeti - A Welcome To All Extra Terrestrials

15. The Infinity Project - The Answer

16. Hallucinogen - The Herb Garden

all of which I think have a goambient feel with maybe the last few tracks being a bit to soft for you.

i think bwhale likes ambient with a deep goa touch, eastern melodies and alien alike stuff, cause chronos is exactly like that.

and same goes for the few chi-ad chill tracks.

You may want to try: taruna first album is the only one that rings a bell as being similar and ibizarre - alchemea cd (if u can find it, not exactly so common)

I'll check Taruna thanks.

Eastern sounds don't really matter but are a bonus when used well. :D

The main thing I hate is when the music sounds totally different every 2 minute interval through the track/cd, the previous sounds are never reused, no "track" is really built, just some changing sounds. :wank:

I'm listening to Mystical Sun right now, it's pretty good.

I have the same feelings concerning the so called "psybient" than the OP.

I've tried hard to see what there was to this music (most Ultimae stuff, Younger Brother, etc) and i just don't get it.

The melodies, when there are some, are sounding very boring to me, and i don't understand where the music is going.. if its going anywhere that is.

Of course i love some tracks here and there, like "Confusion Illusion" remixed by Solar Fields himself (Opus Iridium CD2), "MOS 6581" and "Photosynthesis" by CBL, "White Pixel" by Synch24, "Billy The Kid Strikes Back" by Ott, and some others; but 95% of what is said to be amazing psybient sounds just dull and empty to me, and i never understood why it was called psybient/goabient and not just ambient, since it has nothing to do with the psy/goa music (again, it's all IMO).

I also agree on the chill out tracks at the end of a few goa albums, they're often amazing and are about the only tracks i could qualify as both psychedelic and chill out.

A few of those tracks that are perfectly fitting those terms imo..:

"Trippy Future Garden" - Planet B.E.N.

"Source Of Emotion" - Paradise Connection

"Intellectual" - Gamma

Seems like a classic case of people not giving good music a chance. I mean, not liking stuff like Bluetech/Celtic Cross/Ishq, come on, thats just crazy! Even subjectivity has a point of absurdity.

Well there is a difference between finding a music good, and enjoying this music.

I agree that the artists you mentionned above are making great music and probably are very skilled musicians, but that alone won't necessarly makes me like it.

So yeah i don't find it bad, as i said i've no problems saying it's very well made music, but it doesn't touch me in any way... just tastes really, as always :D

Seems like a classic case of people not giving good music a chance. I mean, not liking stuff like Bluetech/Celtic Cross/Ishq, come on, thats just crazy! Even subjectivity has a point of absurdity.

Word

Well there is a difference between finding a music good, and enjoying this music.

I agree that the artists you mentionned above are making great music and probably are very skilled musicians, but that alone won't necessarly makes me like it.

So yeah i don't find it bad, as i said i've no problems saying it's very well made music, but it doesn't touch me in any way... just tastes really, as always :D

Well, sure, but in this case it "sucked balls" also emphasising on minor details. Because it's relative, a person with another perception might find "minor details" to be vast landscapes forming before his eyes....

Well, sure, but in this case it "sucked balls" also emphasising on minor details. Because it's relative, a person with another perception might find "minor details" to be vast landscapes forming before his eyes....

I agree, those weren't my words btw.

Any music can be considered good or bad from some perspective. I laid down some principles -- which apply to almost all goa trance -- and from these principles most of this chillout music is not good.

And this really has nothing to do with a beat or eastern melodies. There's a lot of ambient music that fits the same principles.

This isn't a case of not listening... I listened to many of these CDs several times each. But every time I go back to listen to classic goa where all the sounds work together and there's a progression and story in the track, I realize how crappy this other music has been that just floats around changing sounds and does nothing in the end. Of course this is not black and white at all, I'm just generalizing and then asking if there's any other chillout projects like the ones I mentioned, that follow these principles as the old music did and as the "goambient" tracks did.

And it's nice to see someone else that sees this problem I'm talking about. I think much of this music should be called psyboring or something.

This is really excellent. I could use more like it.

You say you love stuff like that but say Shpongle or Entheogenic or others in the first post are junk. I just don't know how someone can make those kinds of statements other than being really nit-picky about what kind of music they listen to.

As for the link, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is similar that you would like.

I like those tracks on the video because the sounds work together perfectly, not because of the particular sounds used.

HOW, not WHAT.

I actually haven't listened to Entheogenic for awhile I can't even remember it really (which doesn't say much for it) but I will listen again and see.