Future Sound Of London vs Shpongle

Time_Trap

FSOL vs Shpongle  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more? Future Sound of London or Shpongle

• Future Sound Of London
    • Shpongle
    • Haven't heard enough of both so I can't vote.

I am sure she is smiling because she is sitting for a painting and I have noticed many portraits have eyes that seem to look at you from wherever you stand. I think it's a sign of an inability to paint focused eyes.

Actually it's a sign of the fact that paintings are 2D representation of 3D objects. Same reason why everyone in the cinema wearing 3D glasses thinks the axe was heading right for their face.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you are basically trying tosay is that if people don't have the same taste as you it's because they have not yet aquired it?

So you hate Britney Spears? Maybe you haven't listened to her deeply enough. I am sure there are millions of people who love her music, they have aquired the taste.

I am not keen on your mushroom analogy as it sounds like you hated mushrooms but were made to eat them for 15 years and you have simply gotten used to them. But at the end of the day you are still putting a fungus in your mouth :P I agree that somethings can take time to appreciate but many people have been saying that they used to love Shpongle but that it didn't hold their attention long enough. Do you think these people just haven't aquired the taste? They had it then lost and all they need is to listen to it more & more and they will love it again?

Also, wrong example to convince me using Mozart. No matter how many times I listen to Mozart I just cannot like it even if I can respect it. If you listened to other composers more closely though you might see the shallowness of Mozart's simple childish music (IMO :ph34r: )

Now remember that I in fact love Shpongle & I do still listen to AYS? a lot but I can still see why people don't like it. There are some cheesy samples in it :lol:

Remember that your taste (aquired or not) is not the be all and end all of all things. Just because you think that something is the most amazing art you have ever heard it doesn't make it a fact that it is. Mozart, Shpongle, Pink Floyd or the Beatles it doesn't matter, it is all subjective as it is people who say it is good or bad. We can't put music into a mathematical formula to see if it's good or bad we just have to have our own opinion. You need to allow people to disagree!

euhh you keep repeating yourself man, music is subjective bla bla bla, youv said it before.

Now it is I am right because my friends agree?

You sound like Radi before he grew up :blink:

well is seems that with you, conversation is not an option.

and yes, friends from college and teachers, but whatever men, think what you think, and enjoy the music you review!

whos radi???

everything you said is so politicaly correct, everything so predictable, lets end this debate, cause you put words in my mouth i did not said, so whatever

but really, trying to make me feel stupid for what i said, is ridiculous, in philosophy, its a fuckin huge debate to try to distinguish good art from bad art. What is a good work?

its a fondemental qustion that as i see can not be discussed with you! taste is always up to people, but taste changes, so how can we be sure that what we like is really what we like, since taste change. Arent we loosing time all our life to try to know what we love and hate, is our taste is really our taste, or its just our acquired taste. There tons of philosophical question about taste, but you dont think about that, you dont go that far in your thinking, you stay in the obvious, keep it that way!

*facepalm*

Radi is a story for another time.

Anyway, so let me get this crystal clear with an example that you put forward earlier only a little more relevant to the topic.

You can choose either Shpongle or FSOL for the example...

Example A:

Say Person 1 does not like Shpongle/FSOL. He's heard all the current Shpongle/FSOL albums up to 2005. and hates the majority of it. He gives whatever reasons for not liking (or even hating it). This is the year 2005.

Fast forward three or four years to the present after being fed Shpongle/FSOL every day in between then and now.

Now, Person 1 still hates Shpongle because he had to listen to it for 3-4 years straight. Not solely just Shpongle/FSOL of course but he had to listen to at least a couple songs each day since then to now. He picks the songs that are the least annoying to him.

He tells you that while his musical "tastes" sine then have change but he still dislikes/hates Shpongle/FSOL because he was basically force fed it for 3-4 years and has even more reasons now as to why he dislikes/hates said band.

Is he wrong for the reasons he gives?

Example B:

Person 2 dislikes Shpongle/FSOL. She gives her reasons why said band is not good in her eyes. She's heard all the albums up to 2005 and likes none of them aside from a song here and there. This is the year 2005.

Fast forward to the present and all the same spiel as in the first example except...

Person 2 likes Shpongle/FSOL now. She has grown to like the albums and gives her reasons why she her "tastes" in music have changed and that Shpongle/FSOL are in new and different light than before. She thanks you for force feeding her good music because it made her realize the err in her ways.

Is she wrong for giving her reasons why she likes Shpongle/FSOL now then before?

The answer to both examples is a resounding... No.

They're entitled to they're opinion and taste in music. That's it. That's all. Endo story.

Now when it comes to respect for musicians that people dislike is a similar to that of musical taste. People are always going to be judgmental about stuff they have an opinion about or even if they don't have an opinion. It's just the way humans are wired, I suppose. You cannot change that fact overnight or at all probably. So when you can't understand why people hate or love certain music or art or whatever, then listen to their reasons and respect that those are their reasons. There is little point to try to convince someone otherwise when they are determined in their decisions in this matter.

I can APPRECIATE a work and still hate it. This is true for any form of art. There are many respected movies I have seen where I can instantly recognize the skill and craftsmanship that when into that piece of art, but at the same time completely dislike it for any number of reasons, most of which boil down to the piece simply doesn't speak to me. Recognizing and appreciating skill is an entirely different thing than like and hate. Hell I like a lot of things that I clearly recognize as having little to no value in an artistic sense and I equally hate just as many things that I also recognize as having high artistic value.

This is Exactly what objective taste is about.

*facepalm*

Anyway, so let me get this crystal clear with an example that you put forward earlier only a little more relevant to the topic.

Example A:

Say Person 1 does not like Shpongle/FSOL. He's heard all the current Shpongle/FSOL albums up to 2005. and hates the majority of it. He gives whatever reasons for not liking (or even hating it). This is the year 2005.

Fast forward three or four years to the present after being fed Shpongle/FSOL every day in between then and now.

Now, Person 1 still hates Shpongle because he had to listen to it for 3-4 years straight. Not solely just Shpongle/FSOL of course but he had to listen to at least a couple songs each day since then to now. He picks the songs that are the least annoying to him.

He tells you that while his musical "tastes" sine then have change but he still dislikes/hates Shpongle/FSOL because he was basically force fed it for 3-4 years and has even more reasons now as to why he dislikes/hates said band.

Example B:

Person 2 dislikes Shpongle/FSOL. She gives her reasons why said band is not good in her eyes. She's heard all the albums up to 2005 and likes none of them aside from a song here and there. This is the year 2005.

Fast forward to the present and all the same spiel as in the first example except...

Person 2 likes Shpongle/FSOL now. She has grown to like the albums and gives her reasons why she her "tastes" in music have changed and that Shpongle/FSOL are in new and different light than before. She thanks you for force feeding her good music because it made her realize the err in her ways.

Is she wrong for giving her reasons why she likes Shpongle/FSOL now then before?

They're entitled to they're opinion and taste in music. That's it. That's all. Endo story.

Now when it comes to respect for musicians that people dislike is a similar to that of musical taste. People are always going to be judgmental about stuff they have an opinion about or even if they don't have an opinion. It's just the way humans are wired, I suppose. You cannot change that fact overnight or at all probably. So when you can't understand why people hate or love certain music or art or whatever, then listen to their reasons and respect that those are their reasons. There is little point to try to convince someone otherwise when they are determined in their decisions in this matter.

euhh i think you dont understand something. Taste its a FUCKIN debate in philosophy, philosophers as been talking about the reality of taste since Protagoras men, so all right, YOU just answered the question hundreds of philosophers tried to find, congrats!

*facepalm*

Example A:

Example B:

and my example was relevent, since it showed that some music like mbritney can be appealing at first listen, but you get fed up pretty quick. but mozart canb be unappealing at first, but fuckin awsome when understood. i hope you dont disagree for that fact hein!

euhh i think you dont understand something. Taste its a FUCKIN debate in philosophy, philosophers as been talking about the reality of taste since Protagoras men, so all right, YOU just answered the question hundreds of philosophers tried to find, congrats!

Do I win the prize? I could go for some cookies right about now... *sigh*

and my example was relevant, since it showed that some music like Britney can be appealing at first listen, but you get fed up pretty quick. but Mozart can be unappealing at first, but fuckin awesome when understood. i hope you don't disagree for that fact hein!

But... Joe was just done saying that he found Mozart's music childish... Surely not everyone is going to like Mozart's work... right?

Do I win the prize? I could go for some cookies right about now... *sigh*

But... Joe was just done saying that he found Mozart's music childish... Surely not everyone is going to like Mozart's work... right?

of course

replace then mozart by beethoven or by bach or by chopin or whatever masters classical, i dont know what to say haha

Ok, let me get really angry, reveal my difficulties with distinguishing between objectivity and subjectivity, drawing pseudo-philosophical connections to something as abstract as personal taste in music. Whoops, I was beaten to it. :drama:

An objective truth involves no judgements whatsoever, it's a truth that is discovered (such as the molecular structure of an atom). Everything else is subjective. An objective review of an album would be nothing but graphs and sine waves.

I know it sounds fancy to have an "objective opinion", but there is no such thing. Why should we want to get "all scientific" and somehow remove ourselves from subjective interpretation? The pure subjective impression is the very idea behind art.

Ok, let me get really angry, reveal my difficulties with distinguishing between objectivity and subjectivity, drawing pseudo-philosophical connections to something as abstract as personal taste in music. Whoops, I was beaten to it. :drama:

An objective truth involves no judgements whatsoever, it's a truth that is discovered (such as the molecular structure of an atom). Everything else is subjective. An objective review of an album would be nothing but graphs and sine waves.

I know it sounds fancy to have an "objective opinion", but there is no such thing. Why should we want to get "all scientific" and somehow remove ourselves from subjective interpretation? The pure subjective impression is the very idea behind art.

QFT

FUCK YEAH, philosophy.

afaik taste is a bit more than just a copulating debate in philosophy.

I have to admit that, but there still place to questions our taste, because i find myself a taste changer, my taste almost never stay the same, almost

^I somewhat feel the same. Basic principle of my taste seem to stay the same but I do come across a lot of music that I can feel I will love and appreciate with time, almost like I'm saving the sounds for later.