Future Sound Of London vs Shpongle

Time_Trap

FSOL vs Shpongle  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like more? Future Sound of London or Shpongle

• Future Sound Of London
    • Shpongle
    • Haven't heard enough of both so I can't vote.

and btw.. if y'all are so enthousiastic bout shpongle, because you listened to it on acid,

you definitely should try this one on acid :lol:

What about the people (namely me) that like Shpongle and listen to em while never on drugs? :blink:

Future Sound of London. Not that I like 'm THAT much overall, but some stuff is awesome.

Shpongle was mostly short excitement for me. I was also relatively new to electronic music then. I got over it.

And The Day Turned To Night is still great though. I view that track as their legacy to electronic music, worthy of a modest place in the hall of fame.

Yeah. I wish they would do more longer tracks... like past 8-12 minute long tracks...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Future Sound of London. Not that I like 'm THAT much overall, but some stuff is awesome.

Shpongle was mostly short excitement for me. I was also relatively new to electronic music then. I got over it.

And The Day Turned To Night is still great though. I view that track as their legacy to electronic music, worthy of a modest place in the hall of fame.

I'm surpsised that so many ppl praise And The Day Turned To Night and not Under The Overtones by TIP (in collaboration with Simon) which is in the same style, but 10 times better IMO.

I'm surpsised that so many ppl praise And The Day Turned To Night and not Under The Overtones by TIP (in collaboration with Simon) which is in the same style, but 10 times better IMO.

I like that one too...

10 times better! lol, maybe not that much, its a good one too, but what surprise me, is in fact to praise and the day turned to night... cause its not hes only masterpiece if you ask me

I thought the whole album was better than any of the shpongle works tbh :)

I thought the whole album was better than any of the shpongle works tbh :)

come on, you gonna tell me that Mystical Experiences or Alien Patrol is better then lets say... any song of shpongle haha, come on, there a lack of objectivity here with everyone against shpongle, people who doesnt like what he does does not even give at least the respect he deserve, while ace ventura is respected even if not liked, some will say hes the genius of electronic, a lot of people thing that, but the other half litterally hate it, thats ridiculous

come on, you gonna tell me that Mystical Experiences or Alien Patrol is better then lets say... any song of shpongle haha, come on, there a lack of objectivity here with everyone against shpongle, people who doesnt like what he does does not even give at least the respect he deserve, while ace ventura is respected even if not liked, some will say hes the genius of electronic, a lot of people thing that, but the other half litterally hate it, thats ridiculous

That's exactly what I am going to tell you. For me there is no Shpongle track that even comes close to The Answer :wub:

Why do you think there is a lack of objectivity here? Do you think that we are all part of The Infinity Project? Or enemies with Raja Ram? People having different taste to you does mean they have a lack of objectivity. If anything it would be the other way round as the Shpongle project has been much more popular & well known than any of TIP's ambient works. I could say you are not objective but just following popular trends, but I wont as I don;t care why someone likes something over another thing. Taste really is taste. It boggles my mind trying to think about why some people just don't get this :wacko:

BTW Shpongle is Simon Posford & Raja Ram, they get A LOT of praise, maybe even more than they deserve :unsure:

That's exactly what I am going to tell you. For me there is no Shpongle track that even comes close to The Answer :wub:

Why do you think there is a lack of objectivity here? Do you think that we are all part of The Infinity Project? Or enemies with Raja Ram? People having different taste to you does mean they have a lack of objectivity. If anything it would be the other way round as the Shpongle project has been much more popular & well known than any of TIP's ambient works. I could say you are not objective but just following popular trends, but I wont as I don;t care why someone likes something over another thing. Taste really is taste. It boggles my mind trying to think about why some people just don't get this :wacko:

BTW Shpongle is Simon Posford & Raja Ram, they get A LOT of praise, maybe even more than they deserve :unsure:

Im wondering who would deserve more praise

btw saying shpongle is some cheesy music is showing a lack of objectivity: objectivity, is to not judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices, so yes, taste and objectivity doesnt go around, maybe some dont like shpongle, but what i mean by a lack oif objectivity, is that the people who doesnt love shpongle, in fact does not even respect his work.

look i dont really love the rolling stone, but im objective, so even if i dont like them, i dont go around dissin them off only becuause i dont like there style, is it clear, understainable?

Well, the only person to call Shpongle cheesy in this thread is......you!

A few people have called them Crap <- Opinion, Ear Bleedingly awful <- Opinion

The thing with opinions is they are always objective. I don't want to hear a subjective opinion. If you don't have opions based on emotions & personal preferences then go and debate with cold emotionless robots! Really, I have had a lot of people harp on about objectivity when talking about music but it is something I really don't want. Music is emotional & it is all about taste. This is not business or politics, people like what they like & hate what they hate and are free to express themselves.

I like shpongle but IMO there is much more psychedelic music out there. Much!

oh and by the way

I really think its because you dont smoke, cause once i smoke, there no one making me feel what shpongle does, and i tried almost every band, besides for kettel, every other band does not increase my feeling. I dont know, maybe you should give more attention to every details of his music, cause honnestly, for me its a non sense to not like shpongle, anyways, taste is taste i guess

doesn't sound very objective. It sounds like your experience with drugs is influencing your opinion here. Please break the music down into it's cold components before confronting us with your so called "objective" view ;)

Well, the only person to call Shpongle cheesy in this thread is......you!

A few people have called them Crap <- Opinion, Ear Bleedingly awful <- Opinion

The thing with opinions is they are always objective. I don't want to hear a subjective opinion. If you don't have opions based on emotions & personal preferences then go and debate with cold emotionless robots! Really, I have had a lot of people harp on about objectivity when talking about music but it is something I really don't want. Music is emotional & it is all about taste. This is not business or politics, people like what they like & hate what they hate and are free to express themselves.

I like shpongle but IMO there is much more psychedelic music out there. Much!

oh and by the way

doesn't sound very objective. It sounds like your experience with drugs is influencing your opinion here. Please break the music down into it's cold components before confronting us with your so called "objective" view ;)

Wow people are free to like what they want!!! stop being so politically correct. I know that everyone can like what they want wtf, but you can still hate shpongle, but give the guy some recognition, and yes abasio, i know that there is much more psychadelic, but differently then you, i dont love the other psy music as much as i love shpongle. And i have been listening to all my psy music on drugs, so its objective, since shpongle is still the only thing I enjoy i listening when iam stone.

Or like me who just has a fried brain and doesn't need drugs to trip the light fantastic :ph34r:

Me too, i still can enjoy psy without beeing stone, but thats the point, I found myself enjoying a lot of psy when im sober, but since im on it, the only thing giving me complete out of my head feeling, is shpongle; its only on drugs that im able too distinguish every little details posford put. And if lets say i put logic bomb on drugs, well, ill enjoy it, but im gonna see that there is not tons of details.

And i dont know about that, but psy music was created for drugs people, i dont think pink floyd were doing what they were doing for neerdies to listen while drinkin some tea!

Dude, what the hell? You're just going around in circles at this point. So you love Shpongle. OK WE KNOW KNOW, THANKS FOR SHARING.

I have to agree with Joe on this one. Go debate some Giant Communist Robots if you're going to separate objectivity from personal preference/taste.

What you're seemingly trying to think is that you can't have objectivity if you don't respect artist for their work even if people don't necessarily like the work. They're two separate things. People will always be objective about music whether they respect someone for their work or not. Don't be upset if people are not turned on by the music you like the most when they think it isn't that great. I know, I am that way sometimes too but you have to live with it.

@Jikkenteki: I never had drugs either. So I guess you and I are in the same boat.... right?

Your really asking that question?why some people just don't get this that Taste really is taste????????

taste can be acquired. you know when i was a little boy, i didnt like mushrooms, and i tought that i would never love mushroom, but after 15 years eating it, i love mushroom! you see! taste can be acquired with experience! the more you listen to mozart, the more youll like it. the more you listen to britney spears, the more you gonna want to kill britney. but at first listening when i was 12, britney was ok and mozart was boring, but now mozart i love, britney i hate! Taste changes!thats some extreme exemple, but for shpongle it took me 2-years in and out to really start enjoying shpongle, before i hadnt understaind what posford was trying to do. and believe me, as big i loved some 08 album, I know that ten year from now, i wont be listening to alot of the top 2008 albums, BUT i know and im sure that ill still be listening to shpongle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that understood, that why i dont believe in that sentence taste is taste, yes taste it is taste, but taste are sometimes not fully acquired. thats all, and a taste not acquired is a taste questionnable. and if you tell me that shpongle isnt really good, or at least that you dont respect shpongle, well ill say that your taste is not acquirred for shpongle, or for mozart or for chet baker but if you keep listening to it, i promise, one day youll like mozart,ashpongle, and chet baker(but im not sure about that one lol)

and im a french so its hard to say everything i want to say :lol::unsure:

Dude, what the hell? You're just going around in circles at this point. So you love Shpongle. OK WE KNOW KNOW, THANKS FOR SHARING.

I have to agree with Joe on this one. Go debate some Giant Communist Robots if you're going to separate objectivity from personal preference/taste.

What you're seemingly trying to think is that you can't have objectivity if you don't respect artist for their work even if people don't necessarily like the work. They're two separate things. People will always be objective about music whether they respect someone for their work or not. Don't be upset if people are not turned on by the music you like the most when they think it isn't that great. I know, I am that way sometimes too but you have to live with it.

@Jikkenteki: I never had drugs either. So I guess you and I are in the same boat.... right?

i dont belive in that, a good work so you call, can not be hated. A good painting, a nice painting, can not be hated, you are free to disagree with his methods or idea, but you have no choice but to respect and appreciate his work, and see the many good thing he did in his paintings.

well there a lot of psy uninspired IMO

i dont belive in that, a good work so you call, can not be hated. A good painting, a nice painting, can not be hated, you are free to disagree with his methods or idea, but you have no choice but to respect and appreciate his work, and see the many good thing he did in his paintings.

I feel you are wrong in your choice of words. As a musician there is a lot of music out there I can listen to and APPRECIATE and understand it is a quality work for its respective genre. With that said, I can APPRECIATE a work and still hate it. This is true for any form of art. There are many respected movies I have seen where I can instantly recognize the skill and craftsmanship that when into that piece of art, but at the same time completely dislike it for any number of reasons, most of which boil down to the piece simply doesn't speak to me. Recognizing and appreciating skill is an entirely different thing than like and hate. Hell I like a lot of things that I clearly recognize as having little to no value in an artistic sense and I equally hate just as many things that I also recognize as having high artistic value. I know many people who simply hate the Mona Lisa, yet it is considered one of the greatest works of art for its period.

Your really asking that question?why some people just don't get this that Taste really is taste????????

taste can be acquired. you know when i was a little boy, i didnt like mushrooms, and i tought that i would never love mushroom, but after 15 years eating it, i love mushroom! you see! taste can be acquired with experience! the more you listen to mozart, the more youll like it. the more you listen to britney spears, the more you gonna want to kill britney. but at first listening when i was 12, britney was ok and mozart was boring, but now mozart i love, britney i hate! Taste changes!thats some extreme exemple, but for shpongle it took me 2-years in and out to really start enjoying shpongle, before i hadnt understaind what posford was trying to do. and believe me, as big i loved some 08 album, I know that ten year from now, i wont be listening to alot of the top 2008 albums, BUT i know and im sure that ill still be listening to shpongle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that understood, that why i dont believe in that sentence taste is taste, yes taste it is taste, but taste are sometimes not fully acquired. thats all, and a taste not acquired is a taste questionnable. and if you tell me that shpongle isnt really good, or at least that you dont respect shpongle, well ill say that your taste is not acquirred for shpongle, or for mozart or for chet baker but if you keep listening to it, i promise, one day youll like mozart,ashpongle, and chet baker(but im not sure about that one lol)

and im a french so its hard to say everything i want to say :lol::unsure:

So what you are basically trying tosay is that if people don't have the same taste as you it's because they have not yet aquired it?

So you hate Britney Spears? Maybe you haven't listened to her deeply enough. I am sure there are millions of people who love her music, they have aquired the taste.

I am not keen on your mushroom analogy as it sounds like you hated mushrooms but were made to eat them for 15 years and you have simply gotten used to them. But at the end of the day you are still putting a fungus in your mouth :P I agree that somethings can take time to appreciate but many people have been saying that they used to love Shpongle but that it didn't hold their attention long enough. Do you think these people just haven't aquired the taste? They had it then lost and all they need is to listen to it more & more and they will love it again?

Also, wrong example to convince me using Mozart. No matter how many times I listen to Mozart I just cannot like it even if I can respect it. If you listened to other composers more closely though you might see the shallowness of Mozart's simple childish music (IMO :ph34r: )

Now remember that I in fact love Shpongle & I do still listen to AYS? a lot but I can still see why people don't like it. There are some cheesy samples in it :lol:

Remember that your taste (aquired or not) is not the be all and end all of all things. Just because you think that something is the most amazing art you have ever heard it doesn't make it a fact that it is. Mozart, Shpongle, Pink Floyd or the Beatles it doesn't matter, it is all subjective as it is people who say it is good or bad. We can't put music into a mathematical formula to see if it's good or bad we just have to have our own opinion. You need to allow people to disagree!

I feel you are wrong in your choice of words. As a musician there is a lot of music out there I can listen to and APPRECIATE and understand it is a quality work for its respective genre. With that said, I can APPRECIATE a work and still hate it. This is true for any form of art. There are many respected movies I have seen where I can instantly recognize the skill and craftsmanship that when into that piece of art, but at the same time completely dislike it for any number of reasons, most of which boil down to the piece simply doesn't speak to me. Recognizing and appreciating skill is an entirely different thing than like and hate. Hell I like a lot of things that I clearly recognize as having little to no value in an artistic sense and I equally hate just as many things that I also recognize as having high artistic value. I know many people who simply hate the Mona Lisa, yet it is considered one of the greatest works of art for its period.

hate mona lisa! thats strong! you must or they must hate a lot of things!they can not even see some beauty in it?

appreciating skill means that you appreciate no? i cant see myself appreciating skills of mona lisa painting and then hating it, its a big word, hating. Maybe you dont love it, but you hate it?? but mr.nowere do some weird snakes with a crayola, then you can hate what hes drawing, but if hes drawing really nicely, i can see myself Hating it.

Why hate a man drawing with Crayola? Unless he is drawing something offensive! No one will rave about it & probably no one except his mum will like it but to hate crappy drawings is harsh.

I think the main reason people hate things like The Mona Lisa is all the hype surrounding it. It is considered one of the greatest pieces of art of all time & for what? It is at the end of the day just a straight forward painting of a woman. Yet it is when people harp on about the mystery of her smile & the how the eyes follow you around the room that I start to have more negative feelings towards it. I am sure she is smiling because she is sitting for a painting and I have noticed many portraits have eyes that seem to look at you from wherever you stand. I think it's a sign of an inability to paint focused eyes. Either way I don;t hate the Mona Lisa, I hate the hype. I don't hate Mozart, I hate the hype. I love Simon Posford but I hate Siomn Sycophants that praise anything he does. He could fart & someone would call it art <_< Some people are praised a lot more than their talent deserves whereas other people I think have more talent go completely unheard of.

But of course this is just my highly subjective opinion.