The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

Yard Hippie

Last book I read was Joe Haldeman's 'The Forever War'. It was quite a cool lil sci fi about a future war between man and a mysterious race of fascinating alien types but it's not really about the war itself; more the effects on soldiers and morale as the time dilation caused travelling between stars means hundreds of real time years to go by for every percieved year the soldiers themselves experience. Advances in technology and civilization in general take quantum leaps and they never quite know what the hell's going on.

Just curious, has anyone read the sequel, 'Forever Free'? Or anything else by Haldeman for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:) Yeah the cover is horrific... I think it may be included in another called 'Peace and War' with the sequel thrown in for good measure (don't quote me on this as I'm not sure, check it out) and that has a much cooler cover to my eyes. Thing with me is that I'm a sucker for those masterworks ones though. I just love the numbering on the spine; suits my mild OCD when it comes to displaying them :unsure:

This isn't the best book in the world btw, hasn't exactly stayed with me. Was just a fun one to read at the time. If you find it cheap and like it trashy then grab yourself a copy, otherwise think it through.