Title: Acid Vol. 3 & Birdy

Label: Outlout Records

Date: 1993

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Koxbox-Acid-Vol-3-B.../release/207681

Track listing:

A: Acid Vol. 3

B: Birdy

Review:

I can’t believe that no one has reviewed this baby yet. And it is in fact a baby since this is one of the first, if not the first ever release by Koxbox. Both tracks have that Koxbox sound to it, which is very psychedelic and quite unique. The two presented tracks are very old school, and some people may find that they haven’t aged well. However, I find them great for home listening and very entertaining. The cover art is awesome and the fact that it is in black and white just confirms that this is very old school.

Acid vol. 3

After some slowing pitched synths, you immediately get some acid-lines thrown in yer face, and not many seconds’ passes before you are hit yet again, this time by the bass. Pumping along, Koxbox introduces you to the lead melody which are quickly complimented by/ transformed into some rolling synths, which initially sounds like percussion to me. The track comes to a dreamy breakdown with only a quick break in the bass department. When introduced to the lead melody again, you find out how addicting it is, and during the following psychedelically crazed passages, you are longing for a return. Instead you are introduced to a new melody, using the same percussionized synth, which may not be as powerful as the original. An Arabic atmosphere is created along the end which concludes with the same slowing pitched synths it all started with.

Birdy

The song starts out with some birds chirping accompanied by eerie surrounding synths. A nice build up brings a stomping bass, although characterized by the old school years in which it was created. Rolling acidic synth follows the lead melody, with trippy sounds that conserves the eerie and very psychedelic atmosphere. There is a crazy breakdown around the middle of the track, and a good builddown before the end.

There has been made a music video for Birdy, which is awesome. It contains some old black/white stock footage of people swing dancing and some scientists with old computers. Its fits the song very well, as the pictures cuts with the beat.

Both tracks are very old school, but as psychedelic as Koxbox ever was. The tracks are not very fast and they run along with around 130 BPMs I think. If you are a fan of Koxbox, this is a definite buy, and I recommend Acid Vol. 3/Birdy 12” over the Crystal/World of Illusions 12”. You get the best of Koxbox on their album Dragon Tales, but it is great to be introduced to their earlier years of psychedelic trance (Or psychedelic dance music as I head Peter Candy call it in an interview).

Pixma

• 1 month later...

the ep is very hard to come by and the one time i tried to buy a copy i coudlnt really find any cheap.. but i do have the tunes from other eps/cds and they are really good, cant agree more with pixma.

but i disagree on world of illusion/crystal, for me that ep is top notch quality, being so old crystal prooves how ahead of their times they were..

ahh i miss the old koxbox sound...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...