Anakoluth

draeke

What a marvellous EP!

I think Roman made some incredible improvements in his composition skills, he really made some tripping psychedelic music here. The bass is fat, the sounds are swirlings and the atmosphere is cool all over the release. I remember hearing his early works and they were good but not at this level, he reached the status of serious producer.

So about the tracks:

1 Analemma starts slowly and adds elements to the track, in a subtle way, they are in the background but are surely trippy elements and u catch them as they appear, very nice atmosphere all along.

Vote 7

2 Patterns In The Chaos starts with a wicked voice that soon gets the support of a FAT kick and bassline, really well done! In no time you find yourself flying with the rest of the sounds and it evolves with a wicked metallic sound that really does its job.. later on the voice comes back but just in little parts and the main synth takes in.. a nice rotating effect that blast till the moment a nice melody comes in the background and leaves you enchanted, deep and good.

Vote 9

3 Iapteus a bit darker and less melodical but equally well done and at a certain point a melody comes in, somehow acidic and keeps on repeating and adding some echoing that does nice to it. Up in the third part of the track the melody takes more part and more importance and makes it a very interesting track, it takes sometimes to kick in but at the end is a nice track. Even if the best still is the second for me

Vote 7

4 Echolot powerful kick and fast speed here, on the same mood of track 3, but in a more funky wicked way, i like it more as there are some surprising mental effects, a deep track, nice!

Vote 7/8

:)

I have to like... re-listen to this one because I forget what the songs sound like.

I know it's as good or better than Dwelling In the Void.

It's as good as Dwelling in the Void, but I am missing a track with a bassline as memorable as Achilles' Heel.

I played a couple of his records at a party and people went positively crazy.

I like this too, and really like "Dwelling in the Void" as well...

My only criticism is that his tracks all sound to me sort of like remixes of each other - the progression of the tracks, the sound effects and sound palette generally, and the way the melodies are formed - has sort of a formulaic feel to it... But it's really good stuff in any case, and great he lets us have it for free!

• 5 months later...

Anakoluth - Beyond Reach EP (Cronomi Records) 2009 (CRONOMI001EP)

Roman Hunziker Aka. Anakoluth has since the year 2004 and before produced banging and soft nighttime progressive Goa-vibe PsyTrance with a lot of space and universal emotions intact. In late 2008 he released his critically acclaimed debut EP, Dwelling in the Void on Ektoplazm and has since worked hard to improve and manifest his own unique sound upon the lovers of old-skool progressive trance music. The Beyond Reach EP has been released on Cronomi Records and it’s defiantly ready to give you more of the beloved Anakoluth sound with a upgraded impression of inspiration. On his second EP, it's just not travelling in space atmospheres that count... After his landing on an alien planet on his debut EP's final track (see my review of it for understanding), we are introduced to more jungle grooves in space with infected melodies of play and fun. Join me as we enter Anakoluth's Beyond Reach.

Posted Image

1. Analemma (9:03)

2. Echolot (8:22)

3. Patterns In The Chaos (10:40)

4. Iapetus (8:47)

1. The intro track on the Beyond Reach EP starts out strange and eerie setting you in a mood that seems to be almost unique to Anakoluths space-brain creativity. Something special is about to happen, and a progressive Goa-trance bass kicks in with tribal drums coming and going followed by typical Anakoluth sounds which echoes into a less evident void then before. Spooky-like elements pass gently by the tracks side while it steady and confident builds in energy and story. Melodies are introduced in subtle manners and you can clearly recognize the feel of Anakoluth’s driving force. Driving powers and beautiful set-up’s is this EP’s trademark in journey and sound. - Analemma, what a strange name for a track. What is it you ask? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemmae As the saying goes, we learn something new each day of our life. The tracks mood and curiosity in melodies and build defiantly manages to put a celestial smile on my face, that’s for sure. Analemma is a good opener to lure us into a strange and exiting journey by the old-skool proggy-like guy from Switzerland.

2. Again a haunting mood, more power to the bassline with some harder hitting sound effects and a stronger stomper feel is presented. The track is higher in tempo and it seems to have some mystery to its space/jungle vibe. It’s defiantly clear that Anakoluth is paying much more attention to the complexity and travelling sound images that are available in the pool of knowledge. Echolot contains the by now well known Anakoluth melody-work with space travel inside groovy jungle areas. Melodies are defiantly getting more intense, grabbing you by the ears and dragging you where ever the twister may lead you.

3. The few voice samples I’ve heard from Anakoluth’s work, I find myself enjoying a lot. Their used with careful precision and has some kind of philosophical theme going on, this one is no different. I think many of us have been lost in the illusion and delusion of finding patterns in chaos. There is something exiting about managing to follow a pattern inside chaos, it makes one feel complex and attentive to details + it may leave you a tad more insane then before. This track isn’t very chaotic pr say, but the sample is a thinker for sure as it’s repeated over and over in certain areas of the track. Patterns in the Chaos got a sound that arrives at 01:50 which reminds me very much of the sound used by Yudhisthira in their Matter Is a Myth track, but that’s fine, no problem. This track has a lot of floating elements guiding you through its story of patterns in the chaos; it feels very enchanting and strange with some sweet touches of dancing bliss here and there. Some of the floating leads give me a strong feeling of the old Psysex trance-lead magic and it’s just the drive I love and feel hypnotized by! After a breakdown on the 6:15 mark, we get a wilder melodic play with some infected vibes in its vivid imagination while the stomping progressive Goa-beat takes us to never ever land. This is all very cool, but since he’s being so much more complex then what I’m used to, I can’t help to feel that something is missing, something I can’t really put my finger on. Maybe on his third EP will I get the complete psytisfaction I’m craving? This track is absolutely respectfully great with spacey sounds, drum works and melodies to infect ones brain, though it wears me out a little.

4. Last on this EP we get a steadier track with heavy basslines ripping your speaker apart in the most spectacular way. Powerful grooves and echoing sounds makes Iapetus to be a very pleasant journey. ‘Heisann hoppsann falle-ralle-ra, på julekvelden da skal alle sammen være glad! Daggadagga....’ Nice work on the elemental details, so it deserves to be played loud on massive deep speakers with crystal clear feedback. The trademark sound which is getting more evident by Anakoluth, is truly something to respect. The deep grooves and the clear sounds that follow are a delight to experience. It’s very alluring. Again the typical melodies by Anakoluth appear to spice up the vibe. Effects are tightening and the journey is blasting without stressing. Again, the melodies used are getting infected and the power is steady yet pumping’ - Before it ends on its peak with a closing sample about something hundreds of miles an hour in a feeble gravitational field.

Recommendation: The return of Anakoluth free EP’s is on the verge of twisting your mind. It’s crystal clear that Anakoluth has upgraded both his equipment and skill when it comes to music making. I loved the innocent feel of his debut EP, Dwelling in the Void, and I truly respect his evolution in his Beyond Reach EP. I think he sort of lost, yet gained some personal identity with this second EP which is released on Cronomi Records, based in Israel. It’s way better in complexity and for sure has loads more sounds to feast your ears and hands on then on his debut. Gone are the lonely space travels, and hello are the jungle energy with some space mood aka Anakoluth sounds. Personally, I would recommend that you download both his debut and this follow up EP and burn them on one CDr (both EP’s fit into one CD). Because when you experience them both after each other it is one massive journey from beginning to end, and I’m feeling very curious and exited about what will happen in Anakoluth’s third release..

A minor problem is that the individual stories (tracks) end too rapidly without building them down again – He uses such nice and patient time to build up the tracks, but for some reason he sort of builds to the climax, plays a little with the melodies only to let you hang there without finishing or landing the journey properly. Of course, it’s better to let us hang loose in light and bliss then darkness and paranoia, so kudos on that. But still I’m curious of why he’s decided to do it like this because his tracks, the way he builds them, could without ruining the trip add a couple of more minutes to evolve and land the story proper before letting it rest. This seems to be an issue with most of his tracks. I’m sure he has his reasons for it though.

The artwork by Dekel Meir is cartoonish and funny, and the mastering by Colin OOOD is professional as usual.

Anakoluth seems to have upgraded everything he stands for, this time you can take his Dwelling in the Void EP an multiple it many times. The tracks don’t hesitate to show off some newly learned skills, and the tribal beats of jungle space in progressive moods are evident and clear. It’s been just a couple of months since we last got a free EP by Anakoluth, and this time around he is back stronger, more complex and wilder in Goa-Trance emotions than ever before. Gone are the wide open spaces of empty yet beautiful travels through a gentle universe, but in welcome we got more jungle fever to adore.

8.3/10

Where to buy, download for free and other links:

Anak's MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/romanakl

Anak's Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Anakoluth

Free Download: http://cronomi.com/?page_id=38

Free WAV Download (mirror): http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/anakoluth-beyond-reach-ep

Cronomi Records: http://www.cronomi.com

Cronomi discogs: http://www.discogs.com/label/Cronomi+Records

Cronomi MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/cronomirec

More Reviews: http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

Edited by psytones