H.U.V.A. Network - Ephemeris

MattMan

Posted Image

1 Dissolving Time (6:39)

2 .Blank (8:48)

3 Orientations Part 1 (Above Towns Edit) (9:07)

4 Orientations Part 2 (Ephemeride 15.43°) (7:47)

5 Orientations Part 3 (Uncertainty Principle) (8:44)

6 Cobalt (6:42)

7 Fade Away (6:18)

8 Diagrams (7:28)

9 Something Heavens (6:42)

10 Saturday Barbecue With New Neighbours (2:43)

An ephemeris (plural: ephemerides; from the Greek word ephemeros "daily") is a table of values that gives the positions of objects in the sky at a given time or times. The position is given in a spherical polar coordinate system of right ascension and declination or in logitude along the zodiacal ecliptic, and sometimes declination.

The ephemeris paramaters relate to eclipses, apparent retrogradation/planetary stations, planetary ingresses, sidereal time, positions & the phases of the Moon, Cartesian coordinates, picnic on Mars, breakfast on Jupiter and disturbing jetlags.

... Is the introduction to the second album from our friends Solar Fields and Aes Dana. Ultimately, any release that I've anticipated this much has [Movements] as a direct comparisant, and without doubt, it's hard to match. Nevertheless, this is great trip-hop, ambient, and a bit of progressive trance. You definitively can hear a lot of Aes Dana's latest work, and ephemeris features interesting effects added to guitarplay. In fact, I'm enjoying the progression that Magnus seems to experience with guitarplay. Ambient pads can be tweaked from an acoustic guitar to sound amazing, and this is one step further, beyond any doubt. There's something about [Distances], something sublime and experimental at the same time. I'd say this is a quite strong release from HUVA network, and there are several interesting bits to it.. It matches their first album, and it's a very solid release. I'm very sure this one will be an excellent companion through the following springtime.

8.5/10

Posted Image

H.U.V.A Network

Ephemeris

Ultimae Records

Tracklist:

1 Dissolving Time (6:39)

2 .Blank (8:48)

3 Orientations Part 1 (Above Towns Edit) (9:07)

4 Orientations Part 2 (Ephemeride 15.43°) (7:47)

5 Orientations Part 3 (Uncertainty Principle) (8:44)

6 Cobalt (6:42)

7 Fade Away (6:18)

8 Diagrams (7:28)

9 Something Heavens (6:42)

10 Saturday Barbecue With New Neighbours (2:43)

Review:

Ephemeris, the second installment of duo Vincent Villuis and Magnus Birgersson aka H.U.V.A Network (H.U.V.A stands for Humans Under Visual Atmospheres). The first album Distances was a great album, combining Aes Danas hypnotic slow morning trance with Solar Fields clever use of tickling sounds. To me the first album has some too many tracks that were a little bight too uptempo, so I had a hard time appreciating it to the fullest.

Ephemeris builds on the same formula but it feels more mature, more mellow and made with more confidence. The opening track Dissolving Time is towards you're typical Aes Dana track, and with not so much going on really except the heavy bassline rolling you forward, the hypnotic element is, as it is on the whole album present here, on good and bad. Either you like it or you don't. I for one is appreciating it much more than I did on the last album. But moving on to the next track Blank things start directly to get more interesting, with acoustic elements that to my ear must be an element contributed by Magnus. The Aes Dana and Solar Fields elements really seem to fit together in a stronger symbiosis on Ephemeris than on Distances. It is important to notice that H.U.V.A Network has always been towards the more progressive side of things, depth with multi layers is not what the artists clearly are after. It is a hypnotic ride, with tickling sounds.

Orientations (above towns edit) has great elements in it making you feel going backwards in time, you'll know what I mean when you hear it. This track becomes great towards the middle and end where alienatic sounds, and lovely use of vocals are mixed together with the lovely bassline, just to end in a very desolate feeling, but you are quickly grabbed up by some high frequency comforting sounds into Orientations Part 2, which starts off very slow letting you breath and relax for a while until about half the tracklength when things start to spice up again. This change of pace is good and keep the listener interested and curious with expectations of what is next to come. Ephemeris is clearly flirting with ”true” beatless ambient here, and it's very nice to have that element. We move on to Orientations Part 3 which features a bassline that very much resembles the beating of a heart, and it's really hard not to just let yourself fade away.

Cobalt is obviously the most uptempo track on this album. And it's really awesome. It for some reason reminds me of some of Bluetech's works. It's really uplifting and fresh and sounds to me like a track where Vincent and Magnus just nailed it, the perfect mix between the two. It is a cocky track, but so masterfully produced it won't fall short. I'd love to hear more of this type of sound from either H.U.V.A Network, Aes Dana or Solar Field in the future. Fade Away continuous in the same direction with a faster bassline, and transcending into Diagrams that has some of the underlying elements of the previous track making it a sister track.

The track Something Heavens is great at first, reallly lovely, and you instantly get the feel as it is building up for something, a climax a burst of energy. The problem is that it never occurs, having expected this climax and being let down makes it really sadly fall short. It's a great song it's just the problem of giving expectations of something and not fulfilling those makes it as the whole track is ruined. To make a stupid comparison, think of when you are really hungry and acing for a big fat juicy pizza. You order it with extra bernaise and all that, it tastes lovely at start then you become full of it and you feel the pizza wasn't even tasty to start with. This happens at approx 4.25, something starts then it reaches a certain level, I think it's going to go higher and higher but it just stops and stays there.

A great album indeed, though I find myself sometimes while listening, getting tired of a some kind of repetitve feel. Highly subjective of course (as the whole review). The whole album has a melancholic touch to it, though still while maintaining a sense of beautifully crafted soundscapes, and a sense of hope and progress towards something good and great. All in all a great album, if you like Aes Dana , Solar Fields, Ultimae music in general or even just psychedelic downtempo in general you won't go wrong with this release. And it's also worth taking into account that music has it's own purposes for different situations. The appreciation of an album lies in what mood you are and if that mood fits the music. I can imagine that this album is lovely when in a deep meditative state, that's where it's really going to shine. Also great music takes time to digest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. I did enjoy as an album but i liked some tracks more than others. its that repetative monotone bassline that Aes Dana seems to like so much that puts me off a bit. The stand out track for me has to be Fade Away, which also happens to be the most uptempo track on the album...maybe they should do more of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: H.U.V.A. Network (Aes Dana & Solar Fields)

Title: Ephemeris

Label: Ultimae

Released: 12 Mar 2009

Style: Downbeat/Progressive Psy

Tracklist

1. Dissolving Time (6:39)

2. .Blank (8:48)

3. Orientations Part 1 (Above Towns Edit) (9:07)

4. Orientations Part 2 (Ephemeride 15.43°) (7:47)

5. Orientations Part 3 (Uncertainty Principle) (8:44)

6. Cobalt (6:42)

7. Fade Away (6:18)

8. Diagrams (7:28)

9. Something Heavens (6:42)

10. Saturday Barbecue With New Neighbours (2:43)

Solar Fields & Aes Dana two of Ultimae’s greatest artists with a long list of amazing releases behind them team up for the second time under the name H.U.V.A. (Humans Under Visual Atmospheres) Network. Now I was a little disappointed with the first album Distances because despite being a very solid enjoyable album it just wasn’t as good as either Vince or Magnus’ solo work. So with a second collaboration album have these two music maestros managed to put something together that is worthy of having both their names put next to it? Well yes & no really. Overall this is an enjoyable album as you would expect from Ultimae with melancholic atmosphere’s chilled out beats & beautiful melodies. Some of the tracks here are outstanding but for me there are just not enough of them and the flow of the album is spoilt for me by the two upbeat progressive sounding tracks in the middle of the album.

The first two tracks are for me the weakest and no matter how many times I listen to the album they just refuse to grow on me. I have listened to this whilst going to bed, walking through the forest, on the train to work, taking a bath, strolling along the beach & various other locations & in different moods but I just don’t find them to be very good. Dissolving Time (T1) seems to be a perfect blend of the two artists with Aes Dana’s Rhythm and Solar Fields’ melodies but it sounds too forced and I am underwhelmed by it. .Blank (T2) is nice but is too long without progressing.

Orientations (T1, T2 & T3) is where this album really picks up. All parts are very visual, psychedelic and take me on a journey. The first part is spacey like I am flying high in other dimensions while the second part brings me right down to Earth with the feeling that I am walking back home very early in the morning after a night out with no sleep and the sun beating down on me sideways. I’d love to hear the second part mixed in with Solar Fields – Air Song (8am Version). The final part reminds me of bleak English countryside and it progresses beautifully getting better & better as the track goes on making you wish it would never end.

After Orientations come 2 upbeat tracks which for me spoil the flow of such a lovely chillout atmosphere. Cobalt (T6) is, stand alone, a fantastic progressive track reminiscent of Solar Fields – EarthShine. The lush melodies and ambient drones give this such a lot of atmosphere that it can send me on a very visual journey like ambient or Goa. Fade Away (T7) however is a nice but forgettable track.

Diagrams (T8) is a welcome return to downbeat with a sublime melody in the second half but Something Heavens (T9) is for me the best on the album, the bass moves like a snake, the beats are so chilled and the lush eastern melodies are not so obvious but still powerful and overall I am left feeling very satisfied. As if to punctuate the hit & miss element of the album, Sunday Barbeque With New Neighbours is a drab little number to end the album that doesn’t ask to be remembered.

Recommendation: Overall this is a solid album with some really amazing tracks thrown in. The main weaknesses are a lack of flow, not helped by the two progressive tracks or their position on the album and some tracks that are just average & not very memorable. Stunning artwork again by Ultimae on the cover & booklet and Orientations & Something Heavens are worth the money alone

Favourites: 3,4,5,6,9

Originally published at http://www.isratrance.com

Track By Track Analysis

1. Dissolving Time

We start off with Dissolving Time and it's straight into a 4-4 beat with Aes Dana's stamp all over it. Lying under this Aes Dana-ness is some very Solar Fields style melodies and atmosphere. This track really feels like a blend of the two artists much more than anything on the debut H.U.V.A. Network’s album. Despite being a perfect blend of two fantastic artists it fails to really grab me. I can here each of them putting in their tried and tested stuff and while maybe in 10 years time it'll be a great nostalgic track at the moment it is a little underwhelming. This is a solid start but nothing spectacular.

2. .Blank

.Blank reminds me more of Solar Fields than it does Aes Dana but I can definitely here subtle traces of Aes Dana magic, the soft yet entrancing bassline for example is something I associate with him rather than Solar Fields. I like this track a lot more than the opener as it just feels more natural and not a forced blend. It has all the atmosphere I like from Solar Fields with enough that is not Magnus to make it new and interesting. My only problem is that it goes a little too long without really progressing.

3. Orientations Part 1 (Above Towns Edit)

For me the Orientations trilogy is where this album really picks up. The first part is a trippy spacey track with a deep growling bassline, subtle eastern melodies and the sound of rain (I love rain) in the breakdown. It manages to actually take my mind into it and then fling on its journey. This is a very nice and very visual track.

4. Orientations Part 2 (Ephermeride 15.43°)

Is another very nice track, it starts of very ambient almost like Solar Fields' Extended album. The Intro gives me a great feeling of still being awake in the early morning walking down empty streets passing closed shops and feeling the sun beat down almost sideways. The energy slowly picks up though and you can feel it coming about a minute before so when the beat finally kicks in it's like a long awaited surprise. The beat itself is slow and plodding a fits in perfectly with the early morning feel. To me it feels like the last leg of the walk home when you start going that little bit faster knowing you are going to be able to sleep very soon.

5. Orientations Part 3 (Uncertainty Principle)

Orientations rounds off with the best part. Uncertainty Principle has a lot of great elements in it, lush beats that steady but seem to rustle when they hit and a long melody that at first seems to do nothing but once you can see the big picture it shows itself to be a great work of art. There is loads of atmosphere and little psychedelic sounds and when the beat becomes stronger I get a feeling that I am being driven slowly forwards on waves of sound over bleak countryside under grey skies. The melody being so big and long constantly changes and in my opinion gets better the further into the track we go. I do believe it is the sign of a great track if it gets better and better right to the end and makes you feel disappointed that it has to end. 

6. Cobalt

Cobalt is a much more upbeat track in more of a progressive style. Imagine the lighter tracks on Solar Fields' Earthshine album then make it a touch lighter again. That's Cobalt. As I said with that album I will say for this track, this is how all progressive could sound like if it was Psychedelic. The lush melodies and ambient drones give this such a lot of atmosphere that it can send me on a very visual journey like ambient or Goa music.

7. Fade Away

Another upbeat track but this one feels heavier if not faster. The sounds all feel a little harder and for me there is less of a storytelling element. It is still a nice track but it doesn't have enough to grab my attention especially after the 4 great tracks that preceded it.

8. Diagrams

Diagrams is a welcome return to ambient or at least trippy downtempo. The intro is long and wobbly with distant oscillating sounds that draw closer as they get slower sounding like a helicopter coming in to land nearby. The first half to be fair is a bit noodly but the sublime melody in the second half more than makes up for it. To be honest I would have preferred to hear the melody develop with softer beats but you can't have everything now can you?

9. Something Heavens

This is probably my favourite track on the whole album. It starts out with some brief melodic bursts & a bassline that moves smoothly in a lush snakelike manner. The beats are sublimely chilled & when the melody comes fully in it is a beautiful melody over haunting atmospheric drones. The progression throughout is very nice with little twists & turns as well as complete changes in melody & energy. With about 2 and a half minutes to go it really kicks into another gear after being lead by an interesting eastern melody before dropping down into a lush chilled finish.

10. Sunday Barbeque With New Neighbours

Sunday Barbeque With New Neighbours is a short track to round off the album. Like Sunday Barbeque With The Neighbours off of the first album it has a dark edge to it like rain clouds on the horizon ready to spoil the fun of the occasion. Other than that there is not much to it & it is a kind of disappointing way to round off the album.

• 1 month later...

It'd be nice that you'd at least include the cover and tracklist. ;)

why, cause its hard to find? because the name of the songs does change something for you? if your interested about this release, you will find pretty easily the track list, and for me, the traack list isnt useful for make me wanna but an album!

why, cause its hard to find? because the name of the songs does change something for you? if your interested about this release, you will find pretty easily the track list, and for me, the traack list isnt useful for make me wanna but an album!

It's just about presentation, it should look nice. Makes it more interesting for the reader. Maybe that surpassed you're mind?

Okay what all that fost around the Cat these day I mean the man just ask a simple question...

I really believe that those kind of comments should not exist around here.... We all appreciate the same music style so why focus just on our particular taste instead of giving a point of views WHATEVER THE POINT OF VIEWS IS ....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this CD is really good. It is quite better than their previous one. I also rate it higher than Solar Field's latest solo (which is also has some quality tracks). The first two tracks are perhaps the weakest, but then it really does pick up.

Highly recommended. This deserves more attention than I believe it is getting.

Pedro

I think this CD is really good. It is quite better than their previous one. I also rate it higher than Solar Field's latest solo (which is also has some quality tracks). The first two tracks are perhaps the weakest, but then it really does pick up.

Highly recommended. This deserves more attention than I believe it is getting.

Pedro

I don't think it's better than Movements. But it definitely holds its own, imo.

• 7 years later...

twoBAyl.gif

Spanky says get to the f*cking point.  Was there an epidemic of too many awake people in the world?  Man this is night night music.  It's not until Colbalt and Fade Away that this pillow reveals it has a pulse.  That said this project at its worst is better than most at their best.  The track that kept me upright was Something Heavens with its violent guitar crunch.  Someone said that they prefer the artists as their solo projects and I agree with that.  This is an example of an album where listening to individual tracks doesn't work. 

To get the full narcoleptic experience you have to listen to it all the way through.

If you can make it that is.