:: Zeitgeist The Movie !

psytones

Good points lemmi.

However there are indeed several similarities between christianism and previous pagan religions. Christinism took many elements from them.

yes I agree. The same goes for most other conspiracy theories: they ALWAYS have a grain of truth in there somewhere. But jumping to hasty conclusions and presenting suppositions as "hard evidence" really do them more harm than good. One might even wonder if the whole Zeitgeist thing isn't a move to discredit "real" conspiracy theories, since the whole documentary is obviously so poorly researched (or is it intentionally disinformational?)...

Jesus is a joke so every documentary from the best to the crappiest that reveals this joke is useful to humanity.

depends how u see it.

If u see jesus as the archetype of messiah chaning the world with the power of love, it's not much of a joke

;)

depends how u see it.

If u see jesus as the archetype of messiah chaning the world with the power of love, it's not much of a joke

;)

but if you see jesus has the figurehead of an organised religion that along with other religions has been the cause of much death and destruction over 2000 years...then yes its no joke

but if you see jesus has the figurehead of an organised religion that along with other religions has been the cause of much death and destruction over 2000 years...then yes its no joke

I don't know why it's so trendy to focus on the negative side of religion these days. Look, I'm no catholic, I don't even believe in God (at least in the Biblical sense) but I DO recognize their power to keep people on a "moral path". Would you prefer to live in a society where people behave like sheep and do good things because they're afraid of going to hell... or would you prefer to live in one where it's perfectly normal to steal, kill and rape? OK, religion has its downsides and it would be better if people reached their innate goodness through meditation but hey it's still better than no religion/ morality at all, no?

Posted Image

hehe good one ;)

I don't know why it's so trendy to focus on the negative side of religion these days. Look, I'm no catholic, I don't even believe in God (at least in the Biblical sense) but I DO recognize their power to keep people on a "moral path". Would you prefer to live in a society where people behave like sheep and do good things because they're afraid of going to hell... or would you prefer to live in one where it's perfectly normal to steal, kill and rape? OK, religion has its downsides and it would be better if people reached their innate goodness through meditation but hey it's still better than no religion/ morality at all, no?

so you think people would steal, kill and rape if they were not afraid of going to hell :unsure: :wank:

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, that was my first problem with the movie. You take 3 seconds to look into any "fact" and it turns out to be bunk. Gotta love all that nonsense about Jesus ushering in the age of Pisces or whatever... given that it wasn't until the 5th century that Ptolemy hammered out the basis for today's supermarket astrology. Oh, the fact-checking could be endless... which turns it into a huge time waster (above and beyond the 2 hours of your life sucked away by watching the movie itself).

Of course, this is the Internet. Someone else has already taken care of all the hard work:

http://www.conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/

Grand insight from Part 1 of Zeitgeist? Christianity did not spring forth uninfluenced by previous religions. Woopity do. This might be news for Evangelical American bible nuts. The thing that struck me here is that... well, the movie does such a bad job of ripping Christianity apart. It isn't that difficult to point out the logical inconsistencies and expose Christianity as a manmade religion (just like all other religions). Still, it fails.

The rest I could write about but who cares... it's all bullshit for non-experts. I mean, really. Any engineers or economists out there able to do any first-hand fact-checking and number-crunching? No, probably not.

Anyway... where are those microchips?

Thanks for the link, been looking for something like this.

I think I'll read it before watching the movie.

and no, the religion is quite a good thing, it teaches, like catholicism to good value, not the extremist, but to give, and to care for each other is pretty nice for everyone, and everyome needs hope in their life, so its a good thing for me, as for people killing each othere for belief, if it wasnt for religion, it wouold be for other things(gasoline)

religion is satan?? come on, just grow up

At most times they contain a grain of truth vastly misinterpreted for some cause.

And electric cars are useless but I'm not gonna teach you science, maybe some day you'll see a video on youtube that explains why, though you'll probably condemn it as being a conspiracy from big oil. :D

why do you say that, how can electric cars be as bad as gasoline's????????

but thats not at all what he said, misinterpretation

misinterpretation, huh!? <_<

Would you prefer to live in a society where people behave like sheep and do good things because they're afraid of going to hell... or would you prefer to live in one where it's perfectly normal to steal, kill and rape?

NEITHER!!!!!!

OK, religion has its downsides and it would be better if people reached their innate goodness through meditation but hey it's still better than no religion/ morality at all, no?

religion and morality are not same.

Guest D N H

I don't know why it's so trendy to focus on the negative side of religion these days. Look, I'm no catholic, I don't even believe in God (at least in the Biblical sense) but I DO recognize their power to keep people on a "moral path". Would you prefer to live in a society where people behave like sheep and do good things because they're afraid of going to hell... or would you prefer to live in one where it's perfectly normal to steal, kill and rape?

hehe good one ;)

In biblical sense thats very mean thinking. In philosophical sense thats very bad thinking.

No, 'cause fear leads in phobia and alike complexes, and phobia is a pathological situation which will lead in a "society" of psychotics.

People under the state of fear react more violently and have done terrible things as well, with the help of brainwashing which can be effective especially to young ages.

The second option can't be the description of a society, of a civilization but of a constant atrocious warfare.

And that "dilemma" has been the intentional excuse for the ethnocides among the globe.

And this can be seen in all history of christianity, from its beginning to the ruination of polynesian ethnic existance in 18nth-19nth cent.

That has been seen in Irland until a decade ago and even now in Africa. And the 33.400 churches (or heresies in the christian language) of the same book.

Is the Bible the moral path?

Posted Image

and the http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Horus was never crucified. Crucifixion was a Roman tradition, created many thousands of years AFTER Horus' legend, just how could Horus be killed in a way that was invented a few thousand years after his death?? BTW, there are almost no indications that Horus died at all (after all he was a God, so technically speaking he couldn't die in the first place...). Most accounts of his "death" are attributed to assimilations between Horus and other Egyptian gods, and even then, there is not even ONE story about any of the assimilated gods dying on a cross, burried in a cave and resurrected 3 days later...

So, just like other such theories, they seem very plausible when you don't know squat about the matter in question but the more you read some legitimate source, the more holes you can see in the plot...

We come across with (scripts of) myths of heroes & saviors who crucified or died for a higher cause, among others

THULIS OF EGYPT -1700

KRISHNA OF INDIA -1200

HESUS OF CELTIC DRUIDS -834

QUIRINUS OF ROME -506

->The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

but ofcourse a myth consists of allegoric scenes and has a multilevel meaning and understanding, esoteric and/or historic.

Though, most of the prechristian ethos and manners have been excommunicated systematically by synods, its not false that christianism in its early shaping course copied few elements from the ethnic traditional religions but shaped those by the main doctrine (of which most elements can be found in gnosticism and old testament);

the truth ("god") situated out of the Cosmos, which is a temporal secular tempting fabrication, and its linear course to the doomsday eschatological ending where skeptics & "idolaters" are expelled in Gehenna.

And there can be symbols which may be common as figures but different as symbolizations.

Heres the example of the world-ethnic cross (author J.Cooper's dictionary of symbols).

"The cross is a universal symbol from the oldiest times. It is the exceptional Cosmic symbol.

The cosmic centre, the point of contact between Sky and Earth.

The vertical line is the celestial, spiritual and intellectual one. It is energetic and masculine.

The horizontial is the earthly, logic and passive one. It is negative and feminine.

The cross is the figure of man in full extension. It is the cathode of Spirit in Matter.

It constitutes the axis of the horizon points. The four elements of Cosmos united into the fifth, the Centre.

The axis of North-South is the one of Solstices, and of East-West the one of Equinoxes...."

Another author (P.Marinis) gives the following general definition of religion.

"The Cosmos is all that we see around us, the land and the seas, the stars and the galaxies,

the universes.

The Cosmos is everlasting, aeonian, uncreated and unbegotten, the one that has been and will always be, without a beginning or end, self-existent, self-contained and self-supporting, master and provider of itself.

The Cosmos does and will always exist. But how do we see it? How do we perceive it? We perceive our surroundings according to the ideas we have about them, depending on our education. This perception of ours could be right but it could also be completely wrong. Every theory about the world, every religion uses its own premises and tenets in order to explain the Cosmos, namely, sees it in from its own viewpoint, i.e. has its own World-view. Every theory about the world explains in its own way what the Cosmos is, where it comes from and where it is heading, what is man, what is his origin and what is his destination, how one ought to lead one's life, and how society ought to be organized. This is the Worldview of each theory about the world and, vice versa, each system that has such a complete view of things is called a religion.

This is the definition of religion. A religion is every World-view that gives answers to these basic questions: What is the Cosmos, what is man and how ought one to lead one's life."

We come across with (scripts of) myths of heroes & saviors who crucified or died for a higher cause, among others

THULIS OF EGYPT -1700

KRISHNA OF INDIA -1200

HESUS OF CELTIC DRUIDS -834

QUIRINUS OF ROME -506

->The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

well you see, a book that repeatedly spells "hindoo" instead of "hindu" kindof loses all cerdibility to me from the start... Now don't get me wrong, I never contested the fact that the Jesus "myth" has many pagan elements in it, just that the dude who made Zeitgeist had so many factual errors that it made me question the seriousness of his study and his intelectual integrity.

In biblical sense thats very mean thinking. In philosophical sense thats very bad thinking.

No, 'cause fear leads in phobia and alike complexes, and phobia is a pathological situation which will lead in a "society" of psychotics.

People under the state of fear react more violently and have done terrible things as well, with the help of brainwashing which can be effective especially to young ages.

The second option can't be the description of a society, of a civilization but of a constant atrocious warfare.

And that "dilemma" has been the intentional excuse for the ethnocides among the globe.

And this can be seen in all history of christianity, from its beginning to the ruination of polynesian ethnic existance in 18nth-19nth cent.

That has been seen in Irland until a decade ago and even now in Africa. And the 33.400 churches (or heresies in the christian language) of the same book.

Is the Bible the moral path?

well I guess it all boils down to the typical "is a human being innately good or innately bad" dilemma. I tend to think that a majority of human beings on this planet are innately bad, hence my reasoning, but of course I might be wrong, I guess we'll never really know :)