Paprika: A most trip worthy movie

joytron

just watched this anime film last night, and it has got to be one of the best movies i have ever seen. The story is about when the dream world collides with life. Got me really wanting to watch some other anime. Rarely do films carry both the creativity of a child and also have the ability to execute with reason and substance.

just watched this anime film last night, and it has got to be one of the best movies i have ever seen. The story is about when the dream world collides with life. Got me really wanting to watch some other anime. Rarely do films carry both the creativity of a child and also have the ability to execute with reason and substance.

SouthPark already did this a while ago ;)

PS although I guess that if you really dig deeper, it all comes from The Neverending Story :)

paprika is a spice.

and the movie is way different then that south park episode. Some of you guys might actually enjoy the soundtrack too.

The cover of the movie says "This is your brain on anime" so that gives you an idea that its pretty much a mindphuck

The cover of the movie says "This is your brain on anime" so that gives you an idea that its pretty much a mindphuck

Oooo I love mindphucks! :D

Speaking of anime.. I remember a long long time ago I watched this probably japanese anime movie, it was on VHS. It had a scene where a robot/godzilla was fighting another robot which was also a bird or something. They were fighting in a big town.. I'm not too sure if that's exactly right, I must of been like 7 when I watched it. All I know is that the movie left a huge impression on me. Does anyone have any clues of what I'm talking about? I'd sure want to watch it again, but who can pinpoint a single anime movie without a title when theres like a gazillion of them..

Oooo I love mindphucks! :D

Speaking of anime.. I remember a long long time ago I watched this probably japanese anime movie, it was on VHS. It had a scene where a robot/godzilla was fighting another robot which was also a bird or something. They were fighting in a big town.. I'm not too sure if that's exactly right, I must of been like 7 when I watched it. All I know is that the movie left a huge impression on me. Does anyone have any clues of what I'm talking about? I'd sure want to watch it again, but who can pinpoint a single anime movie without a title when theres like a gazillion of them..

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That soundtrack gets into my soul... And animates the little toaster clown spider dog cats and envigorates the cheese danish eyes... Not a bad piece of anime, I like the visual style particularly (and can also be seen in other Mad House movies like Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress).

To me, saying its a dream world interacting with reality story is kinda glossing over certain things. I invite any skeptic to take a couple hours out of their uber-busy life to enjoy some colorful and aurally-pleasing cinema. Its better than, say, Borat. And I bet more than a few of you skeptics saw that one. Don't lie.

• 2 months later...

ah I finally saw it today... Indeed, the visual part is great, although I always have problems with all these "trademark" anime elements like tentacles, or japanese with caucasian traits and so on. The whole concept of waking up only to realize that you're still in a dream is pretty freaky, I remember that I've had that a few times and it can be very disturbing. However the ending was really stupid IMO, kindof like the anime crew was saying "ah well, this shit has been running for 1 hour and 30 minutes, now let's just end it here". Anyway, it was one of the better movies I've seen lately ;)

"Paprika" means pepper here. I wonder if that's what the title of the movie means? Cos it's kind of.. it just sounds stupid here lol. But I guess I should watch it first.

ah yes Paprika has absolutely nothing to do with the pepper (or spice), it's simply the main carachter's name (or alias, depending on how you see it). And yes I agree that they could've chosen a more interesting title ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...