To make more Eco friendly releases ..

psytones

Hi,

was just reading a review of the 'Daheen - Green Chillies' album by Timetwister;

.. and I was pleasantly surprised about a line where he writes;

Quote:

The album comes in the form of an ecological friendly package

What does it mean exactly, and which other artists and labels do you know of that uses environmental friendly products in their releases? When receiving a album in cardboard material it would be nice to know it came from recycled paper. It would be nice to know that the plastic used in the jewel case is made from recycled plastic and the booklet and so on. What are the distributors, labels and artists doing to make more eco friendly releases except Digital Downloads? I don’t care how boring this subject is or how senseless some will find it to be. In my opinion it is morally important. And I know the downside about this in the capitalistic profit marked for us consumers is the heightening of prices. Want ecological food, you better pay more you stinking hippie. THIS IS WRONG!! The profit game is forcing us to pay more and it isn’t right.

Question: Why does anyone bother with releasing physical media anymore?

There is defiantly something about having the physical format in your hands/shelf that digital downloads can never replace. And I don't think people who buy the physical format will throw it away that quickly. To produce CD's does damage our environment I guess, but they will not create after litter/garbage which is thrown on garbage dumps to rot or to be burned. In most cases, we’re talking collector items.

Regen Records :: I think it's great to see labels like Regen Records, a branch of environmental festival organization R.E.G.E.N. who releases environmentally concerned physical CD releases that are produced completely Carbon Neutral. I think more labels should make this a P.L.U.R. approach trendy, more labels should jump on the wagon (SUNTRIP RECORDS?). I think it would be very suitable and appropriate if a scene like ours that are supposed to be earth loving would do more effort to complete the whole P.L.U.R. package we so often proclaim..

http://www.isratrance.com/cd-reviews/treec...d976.html"</a&gt'>TreeCreation Review By Abasio

Quote: On 2009-02-27 16:35, Basilisk wrote:

The packaging uses recycled material and vegetable-based dyes in the cardboard shell and the tray itself is some kind of foamy potato starch material. Of course, the CD itself is a regular CD--there's no avoiding the impact of the disc itself--but Regen plants trees for every CD sold, which is a very nice gesture.

:)

Can someone list up all releases that was printed in a Eco-Friendly fashion? Surly this has to be a older concept then Regen Records?

I know of two labels (well these pop into my mind anyways :P):

Somnia managed by Bluetech, the covers are made by hand (recycle paper), sawn together and colours pressed with soy ink... and the end result is really nice and unique!

http://www.altar-records.com/"</a&gt'>Altar Records managed by DJ Zen, not really sure how its eco-friendly... but I seem to remember its recycle paper, he will probably clarify him self :) I hope!

ED:

But there must be more... :unsure:

You've highlighted suntrip records, but really, the ammount of cd sales they make is such a tiny fraction. Would it really make all that difference (to the ecosystem)?

On the other side, it would set up a good example. But I dunno.. I'm not in the cd manufacturing business am I..

You've highlighted suntrip records, but really, the ammount of cd sales they make is such a tiny fraction. Would it really make all that difference (to the ecosystem)?

Not directly, but if more labels started doing this then it could at least demonstrate to the wider world that it's possible to be carbon neutral and still (hopefully) run an actual business.

Well, It is a very interesting Subject...

And to be honest, if it was possible, we would do it eco friendly as well, but we simply can't for financial reasons :( The costs to do it that way are that much higher that we would go bankrupt in 2-3 releases!

I remember everyone complaining about the price of the "air" compilation, well, the reason is simple! :) And why is Somnia able to do so? Because alot of the music is made by himself, so costs nothing... But I must say, what they do is amazing...

But in the end, its a matter of money, and with the crisis at this moment, cd sales dropped even more (like 20-30%) so it is a struggle to survive, even for us... IF the prices of eco friendly packaging goes down, we are for sure willing to do it! And if anyone has info about eco-friendly packaging plants, let us know! :)

And to be honest, if it was possible, we would do it eco friendly as well, but we simply can't for financial reasons :( The costs to do it that way are that much higher that we would go bankrupt in 2-3 releases!

And I know the downside about this in the capitalistic profit marked for us consumers is the heightening of prices. Want ecological food, you better pay more you stinking hippie. THIS IS WRONG!! The profit game is forcing us to pay more and it isn’t right.

This sucks so much ..

This sucks so much ..

it sucks indeed... but if you want to choose...:

Eco-friendly packages and 2-3 more releases vs Loads of more releases I know what to choose! :)

Anyway, eco friendly or not, I will never dump or throw away my cds during this lifetime, and the plastic AND paper they can recycle... Actually only the Cd they can't recycle, but if I am not mistaken the CD printed with an eco-friendly cover is still not very eco friendly :P

When I buy toilet paper I often buy the less expensive poor quality ones. It’s healthier for my wallet and on the pack it reads 'Made of Recycled Paper'.

As long as it wipes my ass clean without a rash I'm satisfied.

What I'm saying is that for you (the label) and for me (the consumer) it shouldn't be so much more expensive.

Who is the one to ,,blame" at the end of the line? For sure not Suntrip.

Question: Why does anyone bother with releasing physical media anymore?

oh god, PLEASE never stop releasing physical media!

digital releases are unpersonal and somewhat "cheap" to me ... real devotion I can only show for releases that come in physical format, I can touch them, I can look at the booklet (even though it's mostly just an inlet), I feel like I really own something! Digital releases I associate with unpersonality and "don't care" attitude ... something that you could as well download for free with some p2p software. In the past I had a ton of digital releases on my HD and listened to maybe a quarter of them. And I fear that this will be the case again when releases only come in digital form anymore...

there's a nice dscussion about this in the thread about CompactSticks in the Music Making/Production Industry subforum ... look it up :)

oh god, PLEASE never stop releasing physical media!

digital releases are unpersonal and somewhat "cheap" to me ... real devotion I can only show for releases that come in physical format, I can touch them, I can look at the booklet (even though it's mostly just an inlet), I feel like I really own something! Digital releases I associate with unpersonality and "don't care" attitude ... something that you could as well download for free with some p2p software. In the past I had a ton of digital releases on my HD and listened to maybe a quarter of them. And I fear that this will be the case again when releases only come in digital form anymore...

there's a nice dscussion about this in the thread about CompactSticks in the Music Making/Production Industry subforum ... look it up :)

I agree. I find physical releases essential as somehow I cannot get into digital only releases. I had Koxbox - Dragon Tales on mp3 for ages & never got into but as soon as I got the CD I really really enjoyed it <_< I wish I could enjoy downloaded music more but .... :(

I agree. I find physical releases essential as somehow I cannot get into digital only releases. I had Koxbox - Dragon Tales on mp3 for ages & never got into but as soon as I got the CD I really really enjoyed it <_< I wish I could enjoy downloaded music more but .... :(

I'm sorry but that does not make any damn sense to me. As long as they have the same quality of sound, I don't see how it makes a big difference. Unless you mean that the mp3s aren't synced together to make the whole album flow as one (like a lot of albums should), then I can see why this would be important.

But as far as eco friendly goes, wouldn't digital releases be the most eco friendly? I mean, no physical material to crap out or anything. I'm not saying that's where we should take it to, though. I mean, you can't really DJ if you got no hard material to use, etc. But I wouldn't care if people release music digitally or not, as long as it's good music.

I'm sorry but that does not make any damn sense to me. As long as they have the same quality of sound, I don't see how it makes a big difference. Unless you mean that the mp3s aren't synced together to make the whole album flow as one (like a lot of albums should), then I can see why this would be important.

I think it's the mental connection that I make with the material product. As I have it (and have paid for it) I give it a lot more time.

For example, I just finished reviewing Robert Davies - Shadow Dreams and I think if I had downloaded it I would have found it boring and deleted it but as I had bought it I gave it time and patience which paid off :)

Right, I'm exactly the same. It's purely psychological and completely irrational, but I've never got into something I've downloaded the same way as I get into CDs.

But as far as eco friendly goes, wouldn't digital releases be the most eco friendly? I mean, no physical material to crap out or anything. I'm not saying that's where we should take it to, though. I mean, you can't really DJ if you got no hard material to use, etc. But I wouldn't care if people release music digitally or not, as long as it's good music.

I don't think so, I just read an article that claims the internet is one of the heaviest ecological burdon's our planet has to deal with at the moment. ever wondered how much energy it costs to keep it al running? if it keeps growing at the rate is going now, in 10 years the internet will consume as much energy as the entire planet does today.

I don't think so, I just read an article that claims the internet is one of the heaviest ecological burdon's our planet has to deal with at the moment. ever wondered how much energy it costs to keep it al running? if it keeps growing at the rate is going now, in 10 years the internet will consume as much energy as the entire planet does today.

Where'd you read that? Christians-United.com? Or Peta.org?

Where'd you read that? Christians-United.com? Or Peta.org?

:rolleyes:

in a belgian magazine called knack, the article is actually a few months old, it was still in my "to read" pile, so just got to it recently.

does it sound sounlogical to you? just think about it, all those servers and gigantic data centers, you think they don't take up any energy?

the article said that for every server the same amount of energy is necessary just for the cooling. there are data centers which have the size of small towns, filled with them ...

and wtf does this have to do with christians-united or peta.org? didn't have any more relevant reply?

No matter what I think those predictions are way over-stated! Apparently the total energy consumption from 2000-06 was only doubled even though Internet traffic increased by 3.2 million times... (or something like that). So the future of energy consumption is linear :P But I guess u have a point, that the internet is using up a lot of energy, but in 10 years I really, really doubt the internet consumes the same as the entire planet.

Apparently in the US the data-centers consumes 1,2% of the total energy consumption:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/22/...rinsight_1.html

:rolleyes:

in a belgian magazine called knack, the article is actually a few months old, it was still in my "to read" pile, so just got to it recently.

does it sound sounlogical to you? just think about it, all those servers and gigantic data centers, you think they don't take up any energy?

the article said that for every server the same amount of energy is necessary just for the cooling. there are data centers which have the size of small towns, filled with them ...

and wtf does this have to do with christians-united or peta.org? didn't have any more relevant reply?

Does the magazine cite any sources? And it's a magazine, there's tons of misleading articles all over the place on any magazine you open. Can't trust a single magazine, especially with a dumb story like that. In 10 years the earth will not sustain enough energy for the internet? Please..

Does the magazine cite any sources? And it's a magazine, there's tons of misleading articles all over the place on any magazine you open. Can't trust a single magazine, especially with a dumb story like that. In 10 years the earth will not sustain enough energy for the internet? Please..

that's not what it said... I've read the article as well :)

it said, if the internet keeps growing like this, in 10 years all the pcs running on the internet together will consume as much as energy as the entire planet today... (the whole point is, it doesn't keep growing like that of course)

It's the same like: if you see to the growth of the love parade between 1992 and 1999, in 2010 the whole world will dance during the love parade :)

With statistics you can prove everything :)

I never said that releasing music digitally was the end-all solution to the "problem".

Whatever people end up doing, it's going to cost energy regardless of how you release your music. The goal is to find whatever way to do it consuming the least possible amount of energy... I hope.

I suppose we shouldn't have invented electricity/discovered in the first place then because it's going to consume the planet. We're all screwed...

that's not what it said... I've read the article as well :)

it said, if the internet keeps growing like this, in 10 years all the pcs running on the internet together will consume as much as energy as the entire planet today... (the whole point is, it doesn't keep growing like that of course)

It's the same like: if you see to the growth of the love parade between 1992 and 1999, in 2010 the whole world will dance during the love parade :)

With statistics you can prove everything :)

true :)

but still considerable claim on our energy supply.

thanx for clearing that out jos ;)

The discussion "physical versus digital" is already quite old ... meanwhile one just has to accept that there are people who prefer this and people who prefer that...

anyway, it's a good question whether a digital release is the most eco-friendly one ... the servers to host it need power too ... and to manufacture the servers and PCs themselves there's also lots of resources necessary ... only question is whether they count or not, since almost everybody in the western world has now got a PC...

you could solve the problem though by buying environmental certificates that guarantee to re-cycle the exact amount of CO2 (for example by foresting up or whatever) that the release has produced, no matter in what form...

how about that?

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but it seems a bit hypocritical to ask the labels to sacrifice things (such as profits) to make eco-friendly releases, when you yourself aren't willing to sacrifice the CD booklet/case and just use digital downloads (even if you burn this to a CD, it's still more eco-friendly than a big bulky case+booklet/inlet.)

Ultimately, I don't think it will make a great deal of difference either way though. I think most psy listeners tend to hold on to their releases for a long, long time, or trade/sell them to others when they get sick of them.

On top of that, the psy-scene is very small compared to the overall music scene. I know that's not a good excuse, but the major record labels are the ones who have the huge profit margins and ability to actually do something like this. Psy labels are often struggling to stay afloat as it is. If the choice is between failing labels and non-failing labels, I have to pick the choice which lets me hear music I love, even if it is less eco-friendly.

• 1 month later...