[v/a] GOA TIMES - Now And Zen

InFecTeD_gOa

GOA TIMES

Now And Then

Posted Image

PREAMBLE

I will show you GOA TIMES, production released on 14th June 2008, under the young label Shivlink Records, based in Delhi, India. The compilation presents 9 tracks and displays on the meter ~ 76 minutes of music.

All starts with the eyes of this young and attractive woman, intent gaze and piercing, a blue so deep, that she doesn't leave us indifferent. She seems draw us beyond the clouds where aspire us to the depths. Anyway, it is the beginning of temptation and we have an idea in mind, that reveal her without wrinkling her in order to admire her beauty in all her splendor, a bit like the content of this digipack. Front cover tells us clearly the nature of the CD, namely, the pure goa trance with a beautiful sunrise, color tone of the orange one of the paradise beaches from Goa. The hip-swaying light of this lovely hippie, divided between meditation, trance and traditional dance, invites us to move.

The container is very attractive with a tracklist of 9 musics, organized as follows: new / old. The difference age between these titles reached 11, 12 or even 13 years, the things we do not get younger (for some of us). This assimilation is amusing and instructive because it allows us to see the evolution flagrant our good old trance.

In ‘new school’, we have the presence of AFGIN, LIQUID FLOW, ASTRANCER, GOASIA and in ‘old school’, we have the pleasure of listening or listen to again, old eminent artists who participated in the success and diversification of the goa trance since its inception as COSMOSIS, ETNICA, CHAKRA & EDI MIS, MANMADEMAN. HOLYMEN being the UFO, since it is a remix and an artist with a style more nitzhonot.

TRACKLIST

(1) AFGIN - Amanita [7’38’’]
Elad Afgin
- ‘Amanita’ begins with an introduction that sends us in a documentary of geography. A guided tour in a Hindu palace, the walls extended, parts excessive where the size and wealth are only a detail. A rhythm that makes us think of a spiritual walk in a remote place, a land far away accessible by roads inaccessible. The song is light & air, and the melodies are simple but well orchestrated. A nice moment to pass. [7/10]

(2) ETNICA - Vimana [9’58’’]
Maurizio Begotti, Max Lanfranconi
- ‘Vimana’ is a monumental title. It is one of these exceptional tracks that describe perfectly the world trance goa music and inevitably, it is one of those tracks that cited to describe the word trance goa. The reason that prompts me to write these words, is its sound (fx trumpet) pest that we pierces the body with needles. A little further in time about 3'34'', the structure is completely crazy and detuned where the rhythm is disintegrated to the melody. Other memorable passages are to remember, especially to 5’32’’ with the incorporation of sounds Israeli and around 7’25’’ with its brilliant and unforgettable end. Major Art!!! [10/10]

(3) LIQUID FLOW - Moderate Stimulation [7’27’’]
Tomislav Savic
- ‘Moderate Stimulation’ is a pleasant surprise. Nervous in the rhythm like a roller compressor, all power. A dynamic track, really well done despite some repetition concerning a melody style clubbing. But this flaw is hidden by using effects like ‘Another World’ by Astral Projection. The melodies are very expressive and offer us an ambience very electric, releasing a big energy ball. Appetizing!!! [10/10]

(4) COSMOSIS - Gift Of The Gods [7’50’’]
William Halsey
- Cosmosis, a great name with the title ‘Gift Of The Gods’ from his famous album ‘Cosmology’ This track rhymes with mythical, psychedelic, metal, ultrasonic, acid and hypnotic. With its intro gross, which begins hub cap, this song takes us in a series of sounds very acid to make us grind teeth. [7.5/10]

(5) ASTRANCER - Namaskara Mudra [9’52’’]
Bruno Filizola
- ‘Namaskara Mudra’ is made of sensitivity and lightness despite a rhythm enough fast. Sometimes linear but not boring, we are transported to the center of a forest populated by harmless animals where you can hear the clear ringing of a trickle of water that slips over the rocks. A track that gives us nature within our reach, an atmosphere made of wood, bark, mosses, trails, birds, smells. And then, around 7'04'', the arrival of a melody that stands out, causing a boost in the heart. A passage that draws our attention and makes us stop what we are doing. Music to be closer to nature. [9.5/10]

(6) CHAKRA & EDI MIS - Final Mission [9’22’’]
Eddie Mis, Rami Shapira
- ‘Final Mission’ from ‘The Promised Land’ is not very expressive and exposes us to music introverted, simplistic and minimalist sound. We feel truly Israeli influences from the golden age of Goa. An old school track which took a few wrinkle but always pleasant. [6/10]

(7) GOASIA - Paranormal Experience [8’44’’]
Balint Tihamer, Vladislav Radulovic
- ‘Paranormal Experience’ is rather disappointing. The whole is linear, repetitive and minimal, despite the boldness of an original melody which gives a lot of interest for this way ..... We don't take off (no real surprise), except near the end (around 5’31’’) where the track gets more interesting. For fans of Goasia, it is a title that remains the same and true to the mood of his album‘From Other Space’. [6.5/10]

(8) MANMADEMAN - Athalon [7’09’’]
Paul Baguley, Sonya Bailey
- Attention to the ears!!!! ‘Athalon’ is music is for mental patient with uncontrolled gestures. It is with slime (still flowing) in the corner of my mouth I will describe this music geek. Here, it comes to style juicy acid: nuclear lemon pressed with an ultra-psychedelic structure that size us the eardrums with razor blades. We travel this labyrinth of acute sound with a very complex architecture, trying to find a way out (consistency). We note the passage too short from 2’34’’ till 3’28’ that causes us the wonder… damage that we can not found this kind of pleasant surprise, throughout this music. [7/10]

(9) HOLYMEN - The Last Universe (End All Remix) [8’11’’]
Holly A Shwartz
- Behind ‘The Last Universe’ hides the famous soundtrack ‘Last Of The Mohicans’ (1992) with Daniel Day-Lewis. Music that stirs in us a warrior spirit. Although we are in a nitzhonot style, Overall is neat and sounds less cheesy than previous versions. Holymen puts us in a heroic film, cut by several acts we can distinguish very easily. Track which keeps us in suspense until the end with its many turns. [8.5/10]

CONCLUSION
GOA TIMES is reassuring, as we say that the succession is assured in order to continue to make us dream, dance, travel (trip) and perpetuate the traditions and the goa spirit. Great music in perspective, side OLD with the famous ‘Vimana’ by ETNICA tearing everything in its path and remains a reference but the same case for ‘Gift Of The Gods’ by COSMOSIS and MANMADEMAN with his ‘athalon’ in a psychedelic style. Compositions old but have not taken a single ride, generally.
Regarding the new generation, some artists still need more mature and experience to produce great tracks. We note, however, the excellent ‘Moderate Stimulation’ by LIQUID FLOW, the good ‘Amanita’ by AFGIN and the very good ‘Namaskara Mudra’ by ASTRANCER.
A compilation that would remind us that goa trance is not dead but it really changed with the arrival of new production equipment and technical. In this compilation, new school is more melodic, organized, structured, and linear, unlike his predecessor who showed more psychedelic, metallic. Finally, this work pays tribute to ancient artists, proof, they have shaped our minds and let us never forget.

RATING = 8/10

The Holymen track was rated 8.5 and Vimana 7 in your review ?

The Holymen track makes me laugh.

:lol:

Other than that, I really enjoy this compilation from the beginning to the end - except the end track. I really recommend it.

For Diaks--- I totally agree with you. It is rare to like all musics in a release. There is always a track or two rotten or poor.

But on this compilation, I really appreciated it. I found the tracks ' old school ' were always excellent and the tracks' new school' were generally very pleasant. After, Holymen is not a track I will listen all day. It's true that the sounds used are exaggerated and cheese, but I find it fun.

Otherwise, I corrected my mistake. I had to be Zen when I wrote my review :lol:

For GOA-HEAD---- Shame on me!!! It is a mistake. I corrected the score for ETNICA :P

10/10 of course :)

For Diaks--- I totally agree with you. It is rare to like all musics in a release. There is always a track or two rotten or poor.

But on this compilation, I really appreciated it. I found the tracks ' old school ' were always excellent and the tracks' new school' were generally very pleasant. After, Holymen is not a track I will listen all day. It's true that the sounds used are exaggerated and cheese, but I find it fun.

Otherwise, I corrected my mistake. I had to be Zen when I wrote my review :lol:

Fair enough ;)

I forgot to mention wich track i liked the most on this VA, the Astrancer track :)

• 6 years later...

Solid mix of old and (relatively)new goa trance. You just can't f*ck with Vimana. Just can't. I used to not like the Goasia track, but after Amphibians on Spacedock I certainly can now appreciate it. All of them are really good with the exception of the final track.

You really have to wonder how that made it on there. In what universe does that fit with the other tracks?